Rate this Deck: UBr Control

Killer Joe

Rate this deck using the following rubric:
5 – Positive Response
4 – in between
3 – Neutral Response
2 – in between
1 – Negative Response

You’re answering in your opinion and not that of what others might think :)

1.) How ‘casual’ does this deck appear?
2.) How well do you think this deck would do in large multiplayer games? (6 or more players)
3.) In small multiplayer games? (3 – 5 players)
4.) In duels? (1 on 1)
5.) How “fun” does this deck look to you if you were to play it?
6.) How “fun” does this deck look to you if you were to play against it?
7.) How well would this deck be received by your play group? (current group or past)
8.) Does the large amount of rares (28) make the deck appear to be that of a “Timmy Power Gamer”?
9.) Do you think this deck is “team” friendly?

Written responses:
10.) If you played against this deck which card being played would raise your awareness, you know, give you the “Uh-oh” feeling?
11.) List any “take-out” / “put-in” cards you would suggest for this deck (any card regardless of rarity or price).
12.) What kind of deck and/or card(s) would render this deck vulnerable?

UBR Control
Lands
1 Blood Crypt
2 Bloodstained Mire
3 Island
1 Maze of Ith
1 Mikokoro, Center of the sea
1 Mountain
1 Pillar of the Paruns
2 Polluted Delta
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Shivan Gorge
2 Steam Vents
1 Sulfurous Springs
2 Swamp
1 Underground River
1 Volcanic Island
3 Watery Grave

Spells
4 Accumulated Knowledge
4 Counterspell
3 Crosis’s Charm
2 Ghitu Fire
2 Mana Leak
4 Nightscape Familiar
4 Propaganda
3 Recoil
4 Shadowmage Infiltrator
3 Terminate
4 Undermine

***Insert***
Thanks, a small write up would help. :eek:
This deck (although it has had many changes) is one of my 'pet' decks. I originally saw it first during the UBR Tool Box days of Invasion and thought it'd be a good idea to try it but the three colors scared me. Ha, little did I know then that I would fall in love with three color decks. Also, up to that point I had played a lot of Blue/White Millstone control and was already familiar with the control-style of play. I had to give up life gain by dropping the white which gave me a real challenge in playing an agressive-control deck (does that make sense?). This particular deck has never faired well in a large multiplayer game though the times I have won with it was because of the foul-taste it left in players mouth when they'd lose a great creature to terminate or some other card and the player(s) would let me go until the deck finally sank its teeth into the game and by then it's over for most players. I have always contended that the right land makes this deck do well so that's why all the rare lands, I'd play more of them if I owned them :rolleyes:
I have played this deck with a no creatures except for a single copy of Nether Spirit but I finally realized that it wasn't enough, especially if I played the deck in multiplayer format. I never took this deck to a tournament so the deck has no sideboard because it'll never be used for tournament play. :)

turgy22

Nothing Special
If you want feedback on decks in the future, it'd be nice to see a short write-up about how the deck works, the important cards, etc. This particular deck is fairly straightforward, but generally I don't like evaluating decklists by themselves because I always feel like I might be missing something.

Getting on with it:
1) Depends on the format. Duels = 1.5; MP = 3.5
2) 2 (Depends how well your opponents know you. The win conditions are too limited, IMO. If everyone gangs up early, it's got no shot.)
3) 3 (Better)
4) 5
5) 4
6) 1
7) I have no clue.
8) 1 (Rares != Timmy, especially when it comes to land)
9) 4 (Helpful, but not built for team play)
10) In a duel: Propaganda. In MP: Shivan Gorge.
11) No comment - don't feel like thinking about this one.
12) Fast, efficient burn decks

Killer Joe

Fast efficient burn decks. Boy, you got that right excpet most of my buddies don't play those kind of decks because they stink in multiplayer.

Thanks for the help :)

Killer Joe

Damnation

This deck isn't about mass-removal (or at least thats never been in consideration for this deck). For this deck I really prefer 'spot removal', it seems to work better but I'd consider Damnation if I had at least another copy since one is just a wasted slot, imo.

Thanks but maybe you could help me out with the 'survey'? ;)

turgy22

Nothing Special
12) Just had another thought: Decks that gain a ton of life. It seems as though, in multiplayer, the deck relies on opponents knocking each other down quite a bit so you can deliver a finishing blow to whomever remains. A single Congregate, Beacon of Immortality or Syphon Soul played when you're tapped out would probably ruin your plans.

Killer Joe

True, true. That's where a bit of 'politicing' comes into play. I do play with some (okay, maybe a lot of) players who don't have the patience to play a well-timed spell (Mooseman being an exception, he's evil :p ), they're mostly pre-occupied with my demise and when they can't get to me will go with "Plan B" - knock out everyone else! By then it's too late. :eek:

The deck has only had 8 maximum counter magic spells but I've recently went with 10 because I do anticipate well timed spells.

Thanks for your help so far!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
5 – Positive Response
4 – in between
3 – Neutral Response
2 – in between
1 – Negative Response

1.) How ‘casual’ does this deck appear? 3
2.) How well do you think this deck would do in large multiplayer games? (6 or more players) 2
3.) In small multiplayer games? (3 – 5 players) 4
4.) In duels? (1 on 1) 3
5.) How “fun” does this deck look to you if you were to play it? 5
6.) How “fun” does this deck look to you if you were to play against it? 4
7.) How well would this deck be received by your play group? (current group or past) 1
8.) Does the large amount of rares (28) make the deck appear to be that of a “Timmy Power Gamer”? 2
9.) Do you think this deck is “team” friendly? 4

Written responses:
10.) If you played against this deck which card being played would raise your awareness, you know, give you the “Uh-oh” feeling?
Propaganda
11.) List any “take-out” / “put-in” cards you would suggest for this deck (any card regardless of rarity or price). That black card that deals damage to each player that attacks you.... Spano plays it....
12.) What kind of deck and/or card(s) would render this deck vulnerable?
sligh type decks and weenie types maybe