Rant: When to be a mean player

Killer Joe

EricBess said:
The biggest concern if these guys were new was making sure they enjoyed the game. They probably won't just leave the game because they bought packs, but first impressions are still pretty important.

I think what I might have done in this situation is, once the sharks sit down, tell them, "these guys are just getting into Magic, so play something straight-forward".

If you say, "casual", the new players might feel a bit patronized, but by saying "straight-forward", the sharks get the idea that you want to keep the interactions simple and the new players feel like you are trying to ease them into more complicated interactions instead of just throwing it at them.

At the very least, when the shark pulls out Eye of the Storm, you can comment (in a good-natured way), "you call that straight-forward?" so the new players realize that the guy's being a bit of a jerk instead of that being typical.

I think the good experience with the game determines how much they play on their own. A good experience at the store means they might be more likely to come back and play there more often.

You're right and I should've said that but I didn't. :(

E

EricBess

And I'm not sure I would have had I been in the moment, either...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
meh. I think his 'win condition' is annoying players with his deck. he definitely won that game. :(
How lame. He should have used Panoptic Mirror and actually tried to win.

L

Lythand

Spiderman said:
Aren't Magic cards a bit "stiff" to be used as toilet paper? And rather small? :eek:

You dont actually use em as the paper. You hold them ridgid and scrape like a ice scraper for your window in the winter.

N

Nightstalkers

Didnt' see that reply Spidey...

Well, if you string a few along with a few pieces of duct tape or scotch tape they work pretty well. Other than that... what are you going to use a lace for anyways?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Lythand: All I can say is: Ow! That's a good way to develop calluses... ;)

Nightstalkers: This is becoming more McGyver-like... :)

Killer Joe

"Demolition Man" remember that movie with the "Oh, so HOT" Sandra Bullock and Sly Stone? They had the running gag about the three seashells in the toilet, maybe that's where Nighty-Night got the idea! :eek: :D

On Topic: In this RARE ocassion I'm going back to the store two weeks in a row!!!!! I made an anti-Eye deck,......okay, so it's just a plain old counter-control deck that blows up stuff and draws lots of cards. If I see Shark #2 comming my way with newbies around I'll first say something to him about the state of the players (in private, of course) and then I play my "Hate" deck and only target him! MuWhahahahahaha!!!!!!

N

Nightstalkers

I hated most of sylvester stalone's movies... But they were out of toilet paper and I saw a roll of tape and some laces....

Not like anyone was going to buy or even use them... so I put'em to good use.

Killer Joe

Nightstalkers said:
I hated most of sylvester stalone's movies... But they were out of toilet paper and I saw a roll of tape and some laces....

Not like anyone was going to buy or even use them... so I put'em to good use.
You scooped them up pretty good, huh?

N

Nightstalkers

Heck, one of these days I might buy the other stack of'em and glue together a card castle for the store.

Yes, I'm known in the area as "that mean crazy guy"

Ferret

Staff member
I hate sharks. Even though the CPA was mostly found over a few players' outrage of a ruling on a card, I wanted it created so that some players could find a place to discuss the game w/o being beset by Sharks.

Back when I still played I would lose my memory and find myself playing in card/comic/gaming stores and in no time there would be a swarm of sharks joining in the game. They would strut around like peacocks showing how superior they were to everyone w/ their $500 decks that "ownzed" all the "lame" decks everyone else had. People like this made me really hate the game. I don't believe that talking to them is good enough. I was thinking that I could offer to sell them some "kewel" cars, but I didn't want to sell them in front of the other sharks. Take them out back, beat the crap out of them, and then take their cards and give them to the new players. That would be fun! :D

-Ferret

"Or better yet, introduce them to my wife and tell them that I've actually seen a live woman in the nude that didn't involve waving dollar bills at them..."

Killer Joe

Okay, I went last night back to the store (Blue Star Games) and I wasn't there five minutes when the three new guys showed up! AWESOME!

They said, "Hi" to me first and I felt better already. They bought a bunch of Booster packs (Dissension) and then invited me to play in a multiplayer game with them, All was right in the world.

We played a game and here's a brief report:
Players:
~Cal playing "UG Simic Bounce"
~Mark playing UW Serra's Blessing/I tap your creatures control deck
~TarTar playing RB Rakdos
~Me playing,... ahem,....ubw deso-angel control, ....whatever......

ANYWAYS! I held back from slaughtering them because I wanted them to get a good feel for their decks which they had just adjusted with the new cards from the packs they just bought.

An hour later I win but they were saying it was a good game and they almost had me (I was holding a pair of Pulse of the Fields in my hand and not playing them for many turns and then when we were all really low on life I played and survived long enough to eliminate them).

Guess who walked in halfway through the game? Yup, Shark #1. But without Shark #2 around this night #1 was more settled down. Also, a fourth grade student from my school showed up with the RG Gruul pre-con deck and invited himself to play in out next MP game. Alright.
MP Game #2
~Cal (same deck)
~TarTar (same deck)
~Mark (same deck)
~Greg showed up with his "Elf" deck (Gawd, does every shop have one of these guys?)
~Shark #1 playing a Selesnya deck
~4th Grader playing RG Gruul
~Me playing the same UBW deck from last game (note: this is very rare for me to play the same deck twice in one night at this store because I always assume that my opponents will pull out an "Anti" deck to deal with mine, but in this case I figured the new guys only had one deck with them and so i thought I'd be like them and keep mine the same too.)

Before we start I turn to Shark #1 and say in a volume only loud enough for him to hear me; If you pull any of the "I'm gonna WRECK you newbies with my RARE deck" crap that I'd politic the game against him and he'd be out first for sure. He agreed to our terms/understanding.

Okay, I feel like I've redeemed myself and have leveled the field a bit. I don't hold back too much this game everyone was starting to realize that I'm the threat at the table. I play a well timed Desolation Angel WITH the KICKER after I figured out that most of the players over committed to playing their lands.

I also have artifact mana producers and plop down Ghostly Prison (the white version of Propaganda). I'm evil like that! I win but again not in a "I'm good-You suck" kind of way but more like water flowing down a drain and all of sudden you realize the waters gone (or you lost).

I talk to the three new guys and see if they'd like to try Booster Drafting next; I explain it to them and they said they'd like to try it. Shark 31 butts in and wants to know if we can another week because he can't be here that night,......;).......we'll be drafting with a bunch of new guys next week because the new guys are bringing their friends.

Thanks to everybody for listening to my 'woes', I appreciate all the comments to help me out,... even the Lace crappy ones :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ferret said:
"Or better yet, introduce them to my wife and tell them that I've actually seen a live woman in the nude that didn't involve waving dollar bills at them..."
A dead one is another story... :eek:

Killer Joe

Okay, final redemption!

Three Fridays in-a-row at Blue Star Games (some kind of record for me). I finally got to talk to Shark#2 Mr. "Eye of the Storm" guy and when I started he apologized even before I got it all out, he claims he didn't realize those guys were newbies, in fact, Shark #1 tipped him off about a minute before I talked to him so he was ready to claim defeat and sorrow instead of my long-drwn-out-verbal-wrath-of-coffee-breath! :)

Killer Joe

Yes, but not until later this past Friday night and only one of them but he brought two other NEW guys, so that is good.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's cool all around. Not only were the sharks remorseful but the new guys brought some MORE new people in :)