Rakso's Moxless Keeper for casual Type I play

R

rakso

http://www.bdominia.addr.com/discus/messages/9/11242.shtml
I picked up an Obliterate, a Draco and a Fact or Fiction for $5 at the mall today, so...

Rakso's Keeper deck, March 2001
Blue (17)
4 Mana Drain
4 Force of Will
1 Counterspell
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Merchant Scroll
1 Ancestral Recall
3 Fact or Fiction
1 Morphling
1 Timetwister

White (7)
1 Balance
1 Moat
1 Ivory Mask
2 Swords to Plowshares
1 Disenchant
1 Dismantling Blow

Black (5)
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
1 The Abyss
1 Mind Twist
1 Yawgmoth¡¦s Will

Green (1)
1 Regrowth

Red (2)
1 Urza¡¦s Rage
1 Obliterate

Artifact (4)
1 Mirror Universe
1 Zuran Orb
1 Tormod¡¦s Crypt
1 Sol Ring

Land (24)
1 Library of Alexandria
1 Strip Mine
3 Wasteland
4 City of Brass
4 Tundra
3 Adarkar Wastes
1 Dromar¡¦s Cavern
4 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island
1 Undiscovered Paradise

Latest change:
Swords to Plowshares „³ Merchant Scroll
Disrupting Scepter „³ Obliterate
Stroke of Genius -- > Fact or Fiction
Disenchant „³ Dismantling Blow
Adarkar Wastes „³ Dromar¡¦s Cavern

My casual metagame, as stated before, involves a lot of creature decks and no sideboards, with Sligh-ish and permission decks being the worst threats to my casual deck. I also take this to tourneys to have some fun against Type II decks while waiting for registration to end. (Hence the main deck Ivory Mask, Moat and Disrupting Scepter morphed to Obliterate.) The Mirror Universe is simply there instead of a second Morphling to give me a funny combo with Urza¡¦s Rage, and because it ends a game quickly when this is necessary.

1) Obliterate actually replaces Disrupting Scepter. I figure Scepter is worthless with all the Type II and casual decks packing Fact or Fiction. New strategy for this casual deck is to draw into Obliterate and play it when a threat goes out. Then, maybe Twist/Crypt to win.

2) May swap Tormod¡¦s Crypt for Stroke of Genius; don¡¦t own Fact or Fiction #4 or a Misdirection.

3) Still iffy on Dismantling Blow since I usually tutor for Yawgmoth's Will instead of a second Disenchant if I need to remove a second key permanent. Still, if Tormod¡¦s Crypt is in play and is not doing anything, it turns Dismantling Blow into a useful card instead of a dead one.

4) May swap Dromar's Cavern for Adarkar Wastes, but the Cavern works better than Undiscovered Paradise so far. One Paradise is still in because I think 4 green sources is too shaky when you need Regrowth for Ancestral in the early game. The added red sources make Obliterate playable but make Urza's Rage more useful as early creature-kill or Ophidian-kill.

5) Biggest problem is probably still a good Sligh deck.

6) Still don't know if Impulse would work here.