Ragnar Protects the Eggs [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ragnar stands ready to serve as bodyguard to Auriok Salvagers, Urza, and friends. Then my creatures serve up delicious omelettes.

Commander:
1 Ragnar

1 Aether Spellbomb
1 Aetherflux Reservoir
1 Alchemist's Vial
1 Ancient Den
1 Arcane Denial
1 Auriok Salvagers
1 Beast Within
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Brainstorm
1 Breeding Pool
1 Brilliant Restoration
1 Buried Ruin
1 Chromatic Sphere
1 Chromatic Star
1 Cloud Key
1 Command Tower
1 Conjurer's Bauble
1 Crop Rotation
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Crystal Vein
1 Dance of the Manse
1 Darksteel Citadel
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Esper Sentinel
1 Eternal Witness
1 Etherium Sculptor
1 Fabricate
1 Faith's Reward
1 Flagstones of Trokair
1 Flooded Strand
1 Force of Will
1 Foundry Inspector
1 Generous Gift
1 Glimmervoid
1 Golden Egg
1 Grim Monolith
1 Guild Globe
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Ichor Wellspring
1 Inventors' Fair
1 Krark-Clan Ironworks
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Bloom
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mana Crypt
1 Mana Drain
1 Mana Vault
1 Manifold Key
1 Memory Jar
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Mox Opal
1 Myr Retriever
1 Mystic Forge
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Open the Vaults
1 Otawara, Soaring City
1 Pentad Prism
1 Petrified Field
1 Phyrexian Furnace
1 Plains
1 Prophetic Prism
1 Regrowth
1 Reshape
1 Rhystic Study
1 Riftstone Portal
1 Sai, Master Thopterist
1 Savannah
1 Scrap Trawler
1 Seasons Past
1 Seat of the Synod
1 Second Sunrise
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Skycloud Egg
1 Snow-Covered Island
1 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Sol Ring
1 Spellseeker
1 Strip Mine
1 Sunbeam Spellbomb
1 Sungrass Egg
1 Teleportation Circle
1 Temple Garden
1 Terrarion
1 Tezzeret the Seeker
1 Thought Monitor
1 Transmute Artifact
1 Treasure Vault
1 Tree of Tales
1 Trinket Mage
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Urza, Lord High Artificer
1 Urza's Saga
1 Voltaic Key
1 Wargate
1 Whir of Invention
1 Windswept Heath
1 Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
1 Zuran Orb

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Not sure what I expected with this one. First attempt I kept a one-land hand with no access to colored mana. After discarding to hand size twice, I desperately used Crystal Vein to cast Grim Monolith, Grim Monolith to cast and activate Chromatic Star, used the white mana from Chromatic Star to cast Enlightened Tutor for Ancient Den, topdecked Ancient Den off Chromatic Star's trigger, and used Ancient Den to get Manifold Key so that I could untap my Grim Monolith. Of course, this was slow and I died.

Second game I used card advantage from a first-turn Esper Sentinel to build up resources, including Ragnar. I used Wargate to grab Krark-Clan Ironworks, then used Terrarion, Chromatic Star, Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, and Ancient Den for mana. Sacrificed everything to KCI and brought it all back with Brilliant Restoration. That drew me into Thought Monitor, which I was able to cast with Chromatic Star. My opponents were expecting me to win on the spot, but I passed the turn with 6 unspent mana or something. I contemplated a line that had me using Sai, Master Thopterist and Open the Vaults for a big card-drawing engine, but I also had Seasons Past in hand and Lion's Eye Diamond on the battlefield, so I simply used Seasons Past to get Wargate back, then used Wargate to fetch Auriok Salvagers. Looped LED with Salvagers for infinite mana, looped Terrarion with KCI and Salvagers to draw through my deck, and used Aetherflux Reservoir to win.

I question my own thinking in constructing this one. If I'd wanted a high-power combo deck, I should have built it differently, with a better commander. If I wanted to do jank and use Ragnar, I shouldn't have built such a combotastic deck. This one is not reliable or efficient enough to be a good combo deck, but it's too potentially fast and goes infinite too easily for it to be a silly deck. Oops.