R/W Weenie

R

Rakarth

I've been trying for a while now to create a weenie deck and I think/hope I'm close. It's not aiming to be uber-efficient and I only use cards I have so if you wonder why I've chosen some, it's because they are the best I've got:)

The deck works ok on occasions but has a tendancy to be pushed over by bigger creatures if I can't attack quickly enough. I suppose this is a weakness of any weenie deck so I tried to find someway of killing off things which are in my way. Anyway, please take a look and let me know what you think

Main deck

11 Plains
11 Mountain

4 War-Torch Goblin
4 Boros Recruit
3 Tundra Wolves
4 Skynight Legionnaire
2 Descendant of Kiyomaro
3 Benalish Cavalry
3 Knight of the Holy Nimbus
2 Mistral Charger
1 Steadfast Guard
1 Goblin Brawlerd

4 Taste For Mayhem
4 Fiery Conclusion
3 Boros Fury-Shield

Usual Sideboard

3 Fencer's Magemark
1 Sunlance
1 Hail Of Arrows
4 Bloodscale Prowler
3 Balduvian Barbarians
3 Holy Day

Any ideas on how a generic weenie deck should look like? Should they contain removal or burn spells or prevention like Holy Day? What about Taste For Mayhem, should you make creatures bigger or concentrate on getting aas many down as possible?

Rakarth

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'm not real big on weenie decks, but here are 2 cards that I always liked

Clergy en-Vec, for that 1 damage protection for little cost or one of my favorite red cards... Blazing Salvo..... I love to see my opponent try to figure out the best choice when they both suck..... :D

R

Rakarth

Samite Healer does the same thing essentially and I might consider it but I've never had cause to use it, although I tend to play green decks it seems. What about Carom? Prevents one damage and puts it onto a different creature?

Quick question, when you take off the "next one damge", if you are dealt three damage then will you still be dealt two damage and the one damage will be prevented or redirected?

How about if the damage dealt comes from a source with a special ability like deathtouch? If I use Carom to deal this damge to creature of my opponets then will the deathtouch ability still apply to the damage thats shifted?

Rakarth

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
First, the answers:

Quick question, when you take off the "next one damge", if you are dealt three damage then will you still be dealt two damage and the one damage will be prevented or redirected?
yes.

No to the deathtouch question - once dmg is redirected, it becomes "regular" dmg.

Now for the deck:

Like you noted, weenie decks need to race their opponent so they don't get knocked over by big creatures. So you can do that with removal/burn, prevent them from affecting you like a Kismet/Meekstone combo, or prevent the opponent from casting them by limiting their mana via Winter Orb and the like (which shouldn't affect you too much since weenies cost so little). I'm not sure what cards you have but hopefully this can help you in a direction.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
No to the deathtouch question - once dmg is redirected, it becomes "regular" dmg.
Why? What is "regular" damage?
Carom's "redirection" is just a replacemenmt effect and should not effect the deathtouch ability, unless it's impossible to resolve.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I thought if damage was redirected or replaced, it loses all special abilities. Like first strike dmg redirected is no longer first strike dmg.

But I can't find it after a quick peruse of the rules, so maybe I'm mistaken...

R

Rakarth

I had a look at the Comprehensive Rules and there was only a little bit on the Deathtouch ability which said that

502.63a Deathtouch is a triggered ability. “Deathtouch” means “Whenever this permanent deals damage to a creature, destroy that creature.”

Carom states
The next 1 damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn is dealt to another target creature instead. Draw a card.

So when the creature with Deathtouch deals its damage to a legal creature to start with the deathtouch ability is triggered. If you switch the damage using a Carom then the ability should still trigger right? The creature with Deathtouch will deal the damage and the ability will trigger as a result?

Rakarth

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
This is how I think it works

1) Carom resolves and waits around until it can be applied... It's a replacement effect, like prevention. (Don't forget the card draw)

2) The damages resolves, and during the resolution its replaced to deal the damage to another legal creature. (replacement effect happen during resolution of what they are replacing and do not use the stack, mostly)
3) Deathtouch triggers from this damage being dealt and goes on the stack when priority is gained by any player.
4) When the Deathtouch trigger resolves the creature damaged will be destroyed.

R

Rakarth

That sounds about right but does the new target have to be another creature that I control?

I assumed that when it states "target creature" it simply means just that, another target of type creature?

It doesn't specify another legal target for the creature or anything else like that.

Rakarth