R/G Mini-Beats

T

Tabasco

But do you not get your rancor back when it enchants a creature about to die?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, but not much of a point wasting it on a Spark Elemental that you KNOW will die EOT anyway (and already has trample).

It just seems like there are better choices for this job. Even Raging Kavu seems almost better. It costs too much to compete though...

T

Tabasco

Well the point of the deck is to hit fast and hard...so you want a win as early as possible...you wont have time to dink around 5 turns attacking with your little jackel pup.....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think that's been established. But what makes Spark Elemental such a great candidate for the role?

As a straight burn spell, it is suboptimal.

As an attacker, it has no staying power.

It is fast and hit does swing for 3.

But if you have Spark Elemental and another creature out, you're going to usually be pumping the other creature...

T

Tabasco

What makes you say that....If you had an instant creature pump, what difference does it make as it only lasts until the end of the turn....not any enchantment....then yes the staying creature is the prime candidate, But the element of surprise granted by instant pump is what make it so much fun.....and would make no diff which creature gets pumped

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, it depends on blockers, mostly. I don't see what about that makes Spark Elemental all that good for RG...

Mediocre, sure. But there are a lot of cards that could be included...

M

Mikeymike

I think Spark Elemental has potential in a deck running lots of instant speed creature pumps like Giant Growth, Wild Might, Wax/Wane, etc., because the pumps interact so well with trample.

However, Gaea's Saproling's current build runs burn instead of pump-spells.

I (and likely Oversoul) keep comparing it to a burn spell b/c in this deck that is essentially all it is. At most it will deal 3 damage - unless it is Rancored - but why Rancor it when you can rancor a different creature that is not an auto-die and does not already have trample?

Also, it isn't optimal with Reckless Abandon either. Since Reckless Abandon is a sorcery, it cannot be cast until after damage resolves. Often the Spark Elemental will be dead by then (especially if your opponent knows you are playing with Reckless Abandon).

T

Tabasco

Well maybe I'll play you on Apprentice or something and we will see how dominant Sparky can become.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Mikeymike
I think Spark Elemental has potential in a deck running lots of instant speed creature pumps like Giant Growth, Wild Might, Wax/Wane, etc., because the pumps interact so well with trample.

However, Gaea's Saproling's current build runs burn instead of pump-spells.

I (and likely Oversoul) keep comparing it to a burn spell b/c in this deck that is essentially all it is. At most it will deal 3 damage - unless it is Rancored - but why Rancor it when you can rancor a different creature that is not an auto-die and does not already have trample?

Also, it isn't optimal with Reckless Abandon either. Since Reckless Abandon is a sorcery, it cannot be cast until after damage resolves. Often the Spark Elemental will be dead by then (especially if your opponent knows you are playing with Reckless Abandon).
I completely agree with this. I can see Spark Elemenatal providing a damage boost in a very pump-oriented deck. But in a deck like this one, there isn't enough to give that focus...