Quote...in memoriam

C

Chaos Turtle

Since the sigs are now grabbed on-the-fly, this one will be lost forever when I change mine. That is, it would be, if I hadn't posted it here -- for posterity, of course.

"I say, it sounds like some dangerous psychotic killer wrote this, and this buttoned-down schizophrenic could probably go over the edge at any moment in the working day and stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-180 carbine gas-operated semiautomatic.
My boss just looks at me."

--Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Later, Chuck. Say hi to Jack.

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, maybe On the Road isn't as amusing as Fight Club. That quote certainly wasn't. Time heals all wounds, though, and I'm going to make up for it with something special.

First things first.

In memoriam:

[color="40e0d0"]"...I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me...the ones who are mad to live...to talk...to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time...who never say a commonplace thing, but burn...like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!'"[/color]
[color="3cb371"]--Jack Kerouac, On the Road[/color]

Now, as we bid Mr. Kerouac a fond adieu, say hello to Jeff Noon, and a paragraph from his astonishing novel of futuristic hallucenogenic magic technology.
Read it.

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, here I am again, indulging myself. This is honestly my favorite quote so far, but I'm gonna let it pass on, now, to make some room for something a little shorter.

In memoriam:

[color="cc3300"]"We have prostated ourselves at the feet of goddess Vurt, and we must accept the sacrifice. You'll want them back, of course, your lost and lonely ones. You'll cry out for them, all through the dark and empty nights. Swapback can be made, but the way is full of knives, glued-up doors, pathways of glass. Only the strong can make it happen. Listen up. Be careful. Be very, very careful. You have been warned.
This comes from the heart."
[/color]
[color="ff5500"]--Jeff Noon, Vurt[/color]

It's been unreal, Mr. Noon.

Just a short one, now, which I won't bother memorializing when I change it again, as soon as I find another (hopefully not-too-long) quote for your amusement. Well, for the amusement of those who bother reading it! ;)

F

FoundationOfRancor

"We dont need him"
-Tyler Durden, In referenece to God.

Becuz of this quote i had to spend every afternoon after school with my grandmother so she could "Put the god back in me"

A

Apollo

Well, the time has come to finally change my signature, which I have had since I joined.

For those of you still reading, here's my old one:

Anybody want some... toast?

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, it's ben awhile since I've retired a literary quote, but here goes one now...

[color="00000"]"Dostoevski, the Russian novelist, said one time that, 'One sacred memory from childhood is perhaps the best education.' I can think of another quickie education for a child... Meeting a human being who is tremendously respected by the adult world, and realizing that that person is actually a malicious lunatic."
--Kurt Vonnegut, Slapstick[/color]

Vonnegut's a favorite of mine, and I'll use him again in the future.

For now though, I'm going to post a little something by that hack, Dean Koontz.
Seems he's gotten a little better since I gave up on him about a decade ago...

H

Hawaiian mage

My old sig was...

...Unforgetable :). I leave you with that.

C

Cateran Emperor

Man hits pedestrian, stops car.
Driver, said to dog: Oh my god! I've run over Stephen King!
Man under car: I'm not Stephen King, I'm Dean Koontz.
Man gets back in car, drives on.

I love that show... (Hey kiddies! Try to guess what show CE is reminiscing about!)

N

nodnarb24

you are reminiscing about "The Family Guy." That was a cool show.

C

Cateran Emperor

And nodnarb gets a cookie! Oh wait, you said "was" a good show. Nevermind. It's coming back again in June (HOORAY!) This show has had the most insane scheduling history ever, glad my friend taped 'em all. :cool:

D

Duel

CT, if your next sig isn't by donald barthelme or Ignatius O'Reilly, I will be dissapointed....

C

Chaos Turtle

Oh, and Duel, what would you recommend I start with, specifically?

C

Chaos Turtle

It's time to retire my favorite sig ever.

"Language can't describe reality. Literature has no stable reference, no real meaning. Each reader's interpretation is equally valid, more important than the author's intention. In fact, nothing in life has meaning. Reality is subjective. Values and truths are subjective. Life itself is a kind of illusion. Blah, blah, blah, let's have another Scotch."
[color="000000"]--from False Memory by Dean Koontz[/color]

Seeya, Dean.

Now, for something short and sweet.
Anybody here listen to the Dead Kennedys?