Queen Takes Pawns [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mostly, I just thought that a deck built around Queen Kayla bin-Kroog seemed like an interesting and unique challenge. I don't usually find myself drawn to commanders in this color combination, so I'm trying something a little different. This will be my 49th EDH deck of 2022, and if it's more of a failed experiment than most of the others, so be it. The whole thing was novel and sparked my interest more than the traditional Boros commanders.

Commander:
1 Queen Kayla bin-Kroog

1 Anger
1 Arcane Signet
1 Archaeomancer's Map
1 Archivist of Oghma
1 Arcum's Astrolabe
1 Arid Mesa
1 Basalt Monolith
1 Change of Fortune
1 Coercive Recruiter
1 Combat Celebrant
1 Containment Construct
1 Crucible of Worlds
1 Deep Gnome Terramancer
1 Dockside Extortionist
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Esper Sentinel
1 Faithless Looting
1 Feldon of the Third Path
1 Fiend Hunter
1 Generous Gift
1 Goblin Engineer
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
1 Goblin Welder
1 Grim Monolith
1 Heartwarming Redemption
1 Imperial Recruiter
1 Jeska's Will
1 Kami of False Hope
1 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
1 Land Tax
1 Library of Leng
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Lion's Eye Diamond
1 Lotus Petal
1 Magus of the Wheel
1 Mana Vault
1 Memory Jar
1 Mother of Runes
1 Mox Diamond
1 Patriar's Seal
1 Planar Birth
1 Plateau
1 Ranger-Captain of Eos
1 Reforge the Soul
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Scroll Rack
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Selfless Spirit
1 Serra Ascendant
15 Snow-Covered Mountain
15 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Sol Ring
1 Splinter Twin
1 Strip Mine
1 Sun Titan
1 Swords to Plowshares
1 Talisman of Conviction
1 Thought Vessel
1 Thousand-Year Elixir
1 Thrilling Discovery
1 Tithe
1 Village Bell-Ringer
1 Wheel of Fortune
1 Winds of Abandon
1 Winds of Change
1 Wrath of God
1 Zealous Conscripts
1 Zirda, the Dawnwaker
1 Zuran Orb

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, this deck won both games I tried it, so that's good. But really only the second game tested the deck at all. First time, I spent a few turns building a board state, then happened to topdeck what I needed for Dockside Extortionist to rush out Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker + Coercive Recruiter. Combo made infinite hasty pirates and I won on the spot. The deck itself didn't really do anything. I just so happened to topdeck all three of those cards in the first few turns and it just so happened that no one could stop me. I had cast Queen Kayla, but never activated her.

Second game was much longer. I had a first-turn Land Tax and used the enchantment on every one of my turns for the rest of the game, finally depleting the last basics from my deck on the very last turn. Thanks to Land Tax, my commander churned through my deck. I never had a dominating board presence, but neither did anyone else. Despite being up against some heavy-hitters, the rest of the table feared me. No compelling attacks came my way, but I did take 28 direct damage from burn spells. On my last turn, I cast Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and used Feldon of the Third Path to make a token copy of Coercive Recruiter, closing things out with infinite pirates yet again. If I'd passed the turn one more time, I'd have been dead twice over.

The deck is fun. I think that I went to too much trouble to include artifacts and creatures of the appropriate mana values for Kayla. But a more optimized version of this deck could be scary.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This deck has to be next on the chopping block. I think it's currently standing at five wins, zero losses. It's not even an amazing deck, but it's been in the right place at the right time. Also, Kayla's ability is kinda broken.