Qs for Richard

C

Crazy Pierre

My favorite all-time set is Arabian Nights, not only because of the powerful nature of some cards, but because it really puts through the FEEL of another culture, its artifacts and landmarks....

Is there any hope that future expansions can explore other cultures and expose these to the playing public?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I seem to remember Dr. Garfield saying that Arabian Nights was actually a mistake in design and he'd probably never want to base an expansion off of a real-life culture or story again.

But you can always hope (what about the Magic set that uses horsemanship?)

L

Lythand

How about askin Mr Garfield if magic has becaome what he dreamed it to become..or has it taken a totaly different road and evolved into something different

D

Duel

I think my favorite quote was that they would have to be hit by a bus before they reprinted arabian nights -WOTC R&D

D

DÛke

Duel, you are wrong.
The quote said:
"They'd have to be hit by a but before reprinting MANA DRAIN."

M

Major Crime

Of all the CCG / TCG which have followed Magic the Gathering, is there anyone Dr Garfield things would have been good enought to set off the whole idea of CCGs as MtG did?

Do people seem surprised when they find that the inventor of MtG has a PhD?

Where is his PhD from? (Sorry I had to ask, as I work in a Uni'.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't quite understand your first question, Major Crime. Do you mean does Dr. Garfield think someone else could have started the CCG/TCG trend if Magic hadn't come out?

I believe he got his PhD at either University of Pennsylvania or MIT.

R

Rando

Oh, and Duel, the quote was about Mana Drain...
"The entire R&D team would have to be hit by a bus before we would ever re-print Mana Drain..."
- - Beats me who said it, but I read it in an old Duelist.

And the Question for Mr. Garfield:
We always hear about cards that were deemed too powerful, too weak, or too confusing for a set that are removed before it goes to print. What, if any, are the cards that did not make it to print when you were first designing what would become the Alpha/Beta set?

M

Major Crime

Hi, yes that is what I mean, just in a more long winded way. :>