Pyromancy!

• Thread starter Cateran Overlord
  • Start date
C

Cateran Overlord

I love this card personally, so I've been trying to make a deck with it. here's the list:

4 Pyromancy
2 Avatar of Might
2 Avatar of Fury
4 Nesting Wurm
4 Howling Wolf
4 Skyshroud Sentinel

3 Hammer of Bogardan
4 Llanowar Elf
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Worldly Tutor
4 Yavimaya Granger

4 Karplusan Forest
10 Forest
7 Mountain

The basic idea here is to get either an Avatar or a Pack creature into your hand. If you get an Avatar, either pitch it or Play it. If you get a pack creature, then play the first and pitch the rest of them. Hammers are just recursive Pyromancy fodder, and do the same amount of damage for colorless mana as an instant here! The rest of the deck is just trying to get enough mana for an early Pyromancy, so you can start burning your opponent out. Any ideas here?

D

DÛke

Hey, the deck looks great.
You said that you wanted to have enough mana as soon as possible, and personally, I don't think 21 lands is able to do that, even though you have other mana sources. Nothing is more reliable than the ol'lands.

Personally, I think you should get the 4 Avatars out and stick to the 'Howling' creatures theme. You were most likely pitching the Avatars all the time, so why not adding something that still could be 'piched' but also could be played most of the time, and could actually help you?
I am not a very good Red fan, so I don't have enough info as to what cards you should replace the Avatars with.

Another thing, and that's just with me, is that I don't really like using creatures for mana. I think it makes the deck too fragile. If I were you, I would replace the 4 Elves with 4 of the Green Diamond from 6th/Mirage. I woud still keep the BoP because it could give me any mana I want.

Great deck over all, just needed some tweaking.

F

Fire Slinger

Instead you elves you could run Vine Trellis, that way you have something to block your opponents creature and something that produces mana. Also City of Brass, Thran Quarry, Fire Diamonds, Moss Diamonds, Grim Monoliths. I really like the deck. It's very original.

Z

Zadok001

Wow, Duke, you're just all over the place! :) Give it three weeks, and you'll be on top of the standings, post-wise, at this rate...

I personally like using Pyromancy as an addition to the artifacts usually associated with Wildfire. Duke and Fire Slinger both mentioned mana supply, I think the easiest way to gain mana is through Voltaics, Thran Dynamos, Diamonds, parts of Ramos (mainly Heart), and Monoliths. The amount of mana you can gain is crazy, and the Dynamos even make good Pyro fodder. With so much mana acceleration available to you, it shouldn't be too troublesome to start discarding more costly spells, like the Avatar, to hit your opponent directly. If your hand is full of less costly spells, Pyro becomes mad creature elimination.

The big problem Pyro decks run into is getting those high CC into their hand. It's hard to draw enough cards to keep the Pyro action going, and often enough you end up with worthless land instead of damage dealing cards. You solved that problem very, very well with the Howlers. Only problem is, you still have to cast one to start the chain going. That's not an enormous difficultly, and certainly not something to worry about, but you may also want to consider something like Scrying Glass or good ol' Jay Tome to draw up cards for discarding. Trade Routes, if you can squeeze blue in, is wonderful, since dead lands can easily become expensive cards for the low, low price of one mana. :)

Finally, what about using Gaea's Blessing and/or Revive? It sounds a bit cheezy, but think about it. Once you've pitched your Howlers, you can Blessing them back in, and Revive and play one to get the shuffled-in ones back into your hand for discarding again. It's a kinda bulky combo, but it serves well. And both cards have uses outside of the combo, as Revive functions as a way to reuse Avatars (I recommend Might, not Fury), and the Blessing helps card cycling quite a bit.

"Here's to all those that went before, or followed after."

D

DÛke

OFF TOPIC
I know I'm all over the place. I want to get to know the people, and I want them to get to know me. I don't care about the highest-poster, I'm only writing so much to be known, and to be an offical memeber, NOT a biggener :)

TOPIC
The deck looks good, but I strongly recommand to add more lands, not mana sources, but lands. Mana sources requier lands to play, and that could skrew over anyone, especially in this deck, in which Howling Wolf and Nesting Wurm have double green mana in their cost; plus, you have the 4 Tutors, which cost one white mana. Three colored decks need a lot of concentration to build, even if they're for fun, they must be focused :)
Add some lands.

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

Duke your thinking of enlighented tutors he has worldly tutor in his deck which cost green.
I like the deck like every \body else said add mana artifacts like fire and moss diamonds and Hearts and Horns of ramos.

T

tyger51

for a big punch throw in some of the winds!
searing wind should fit right in and you might be able to cast it (ha!). the green one might work also

C

Cateran Overlord

I guess I should've mentioned several things: 1. I have a personal bias against Key and Monolith, but not the rest of the artifact mana though. I'll just state that now. I do agree with Duke though, when I tested it I didn't draw enough lands. The Avatars are mainly against white with Ivory Mask and such, it's a convenient backup plan if I can no longer target them. Searing wind is a fantastic idea, as it's either 9 mana for 10 damage or 3 mana for 9 damage. Now, the question is how to modify the original:

4 Pyromancy * (duh)
2 Avatar of Might
2 Avatar of Fury
4 Nesting Wurm *
4 Howling Wolf *
4 Skyshroud Sentinel *

3 Hammer of Bogardan
4 Llanowar Elf
4 Birds of Paradise *
4 Worldly Tutor
4 Yavimaya Granger *

4 Karplusan Forest
10 Forest
7 Mountain

* = must stay

The rest of this can be changed. Monolith and Key are NO, for two reasons. Number one is that I have a vendetta against things as dirty as that from Urza's Block (as if I haven't pointed htat out before), and second because I don't need colorless, I need COLORED mana, green specifically. I need almost no red mana once Pyromancy is out. Basically, when I tested this, it's main problem is that Pyromancy can't get going fast enough. Sideboarding is pretty simple (Calming Verse against nearly everything, keeps white on their toes :D , the rest has to be developed). Any ideas on further acceleration?

F

Fire Slinger

I agree with Zadok about the problem of hand being full of lands. One way to solve is add City of Brass or Sky Diamonds and then add Trade Routes.

Most people don't realize how powerful this card is. I run it in all my blue decks.

In one tournament, I used a Trades Routes to draw through a land pocket in my deck that was 6 lands big and get one of my Morphlings to win the game.

Just a thought...

D

DÛke

Trade Roots is also good in another way.
I have used it to return a tapped City of Brass and then replying it to get another mana of my choice.
Trade Roots also helps against LD decks, all that for the easy cost of 1U. How good is this card :)

D

Duel

Okay, I made a few questionable choices, jsut to see how other people think they'll work. Look it over, maybe it'll be better.

4 Pyromancy *
4 Avatar of Might (you may not have alot of creatures,this could easily end up costing GG)
4 Nesting Wurm *
2 Avatar of fury
4 Skyshroud Sentinel (Are you sure this has to stay?)
2 Searing wind
4 Search for survivors (his graveyard may be full of creatures...)

4 Llanowar Elf
4 Birds of Paradise *
2 Worldly Tutor
4 Yavimaya Granger *
2 Citanul flute (GREAT CARD!!!!)

2 Karplusan Forest
10 Forest
8 Mountain

D

DÛke

I don't think the Fluts would be a great idea since they cost 5 to play, I think he should stick with the Tutors.

D

DÛke

The Flute will enable a sure but a slow game.
The Tutor will enable a fast game, but limit less supply.
Which one do you want Cateran Overlord?

D

Duel

Well, it probably depends on whether we're playing multiplayer or duel. In duels, you're right. 4 tutors give you 20 damage. In multiplayer, I'd use the flute.

D

DÛke

The Flute is a better option for sure.
If he adds them though, he really needs to be careful, because mana screws are very possible.

Worldy Tutor prevents the mana screw a bit, since it only costs 1 mana.

C

Cateran Overlord

Actually, I pretty much can take out the elves. They're useless EXCEPT for pitching to Pyromancy. Wurms and Wolves are at least a slight threat on the board.

Flute is an interesting idea, but this deck isn't being built for multiplayer, only for duels. Good thinking though, that wouldn't have occurred to me.

I'd really rather not add in blue just for Trade Routes though, as the odds of drawing one are pretty bad (I wouldn't have room for 4)

City isn't a bad idea, but freaking evil evil Port makes it pretty unusable I've found in here.

D

Duel

See, now I'd think that any deck where the main source of damage is 4cc needs either speed mana, stalling tactic, or multiplayer. Keep the friggin elves! Speed is essential! Trust me! Or, if not them, throw in wild growths.

C

Cateran Overlord

Um, what? The elves aren't much of a stalling tactic. If I wanted that, I'd use Squee.... (Lightbulb flashes over head) SQUEE!!!!! How did I overlook that?!?! Geez, that would be BETTER than Hammers as recursive damage! Thanks for the inspiration!

4 Pyromancy
2 Avatar of Might
2 Avatar of Fury
4 Nesting Wurm
4 Howling Wolf
3 Squee, Goblin Nabob

4 Wild Growth (maybe fertile ground?)
4 Llanowar Elf
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Worldly Tutor
4 Yavimaya Granger

4 Karplusan Forest