Pyro Discard Advantage

E

Ephrils

This is a deck I at first made to be Type 2, it never saw play as I couldn't get to any of the tournements to try it out :p So eventually, it made it's way to the Extended bracket. As some more ideal cards became available, they were added in. Squee and Draco are really those added cards. I left the deck pretty much exactly the same as my original decklist though. Since the time it was made until now, Mana Vault has been restricted, so that's why there's 2 in it, and hence a casual deck ;) Its great not having to worry about those lists all the time :p

The thing I wanted to do with this deck, was find a way to beat you with no cards in my hand. I was working on a way to make the concept possible when I looked at Pyromancy. Great kill card, except I couldn't control the card that was discarded. That's fixable of course, but something to continually discard was what would make the deck work. Shard Pheonix was my first choice, but it had a hefty price to return it, and i didn't feel like trying to play permission with it to stall until I get enough mana and having a cloned version of CounterPheonix. Thran Turbine was the ultimate fixer for this problem and the deck. With 4 in it, I can untap mana vaults, return a Pheonix for the price of the Hammer, and bypass the activation cost of Pyromancy during my upkeep.

The deck was reasonably effective even before Squee came along, but he made it so much easier. Three damage isn't a lot, but when it's done for free it quickly adds up. the Survival, normally used for Pheonixes, would instead look for Squee for some quick removal if I only Pyromancy out and no burn.

Draco's appearance just made the deck brutal if you could find him and discard him.

That's enough rambling for now, here's the deck:

RED
4 Mogg Fanatic
2 Parch
4 Shock
4 Pyromancy
1 Squee, Goblin Nabob
2 Hammer of Bogardan
4 Shard Pheonix

GREEN
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Birds of Paradise
1 Tranquil Grove
1 Creeping Mold
1 Survival of the Fittest
1 Pack Hunt

ARTIFACT
4 Thran Turbine
2 Mana Vault
1 Draco

LAND
11 Mountains
9 Forests

I basically burn all I can until I get set up, then I let Pyromancy do the work if necessary. I've discovered with this deck that the problem with green--is that it makes green. In this deck red mana is very important, the Elves are only in for an added boost of mana, good thing Birds were made, or this deck would have lots of mana problems, lots more than it curently has anyway. The cards you want to try pull through against permission are Pyromancy(usually ignored the first time it's played) and Thran Turbine(also ignored). With those cards out, the only thing you really have left to do is empty your hand as fast as possible.

I know now the deck could be easily improved upon, dual lands for example would fix a lot of headaches. The extra Mana Vault could probably be exchanged for a Sol Ring. Shocks to Lightning Bolts... I'd keep the Parches in though as they help against blue, one of the deck's more weaker matchups. I like to keep the deck in my original design though :) I just like how it turned out.

Feedback?

I

Istanbul

First off, lose Survival and Mana Vault, or it becomes a Type 1 deck.

Secondly, you want Taigas. Consider turning your Llanowar Elves into Skyshroud Elves.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Do you Ever read the baned/Restricted list??

The Llanawar Elves should be Fyndhorn Elves.

T.J.

T

Turtlewax Joe

no.....if i'm not mistaken, you choose the color of mana the fyndhorn elves produce when they come into play.

T.J.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Fyndhorn Elves are the exact same as Llanowar Elves except they come from Ice Age (thus a different name).

E

Ephrils

I think yall mean Queer Elves as the ones you chose on which color they make when they come into play. I tried it with them, and I didn't like not having the first turn drop the Llanowar gives me.

You guys didn't read all of the post it seems, I know I could add dual lands to the deck, but I kept it the way it was because I like the original design more, Mana Vaults and Survival are part of that as well.