Putting an end to the negative

T

theBruce58

Hey, gang--

Today I was surfing and came across the 'Net, and (some other website), where I found a post from an attorney who used to work for WOTC. Now, as I read the thing, I found myself growing angry, as I do anytime someone defends WOTC. I really don't like them as a company or many of their strategies, however, I feel now I am condemning out of hand.

WOTC is a business, straight out. Admittedly, the fiasco of the recent GenCon cannot be excused and will most likely be brushed off by WOTC, a condemning blow to everyone's perception of WOTC. However, does it all really matter? No, not really. We'll all still keep buying cards, putting more money into their account and vetching.

I've decided to take a hiatus from the arena of mud-slinging. Why? Well, honestly, it doesn't do a damn bit of good. Hopefully, one day, WOTC will have its wrinkles worked out, Mike Long will be banned for life, GenCon will run like PES was in charge, and life will be good.

Naaahhh.

C

Captain Caveman

*(this is somewhat off topic)

David,
Could you post your Timewalker deck here at the CPA. I'd
like to have a look at it again. I lost the other addy or
I'd look it up myself. Btw, taking infinite turns has to be
a lot of fun.

Caveman

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I read it. It turns out that it's also been posted on the Dojo where I read it after I posted my question here.

I guess I need to hear from more people telling their experiences before making a judgement. What the writer says is interesting, but... need... more... data... :)

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Pretty much that whole article was true. I can't speak for all of it though, cuz I was only there for the first day, and didn't pay to play in any tournies.

I didn't get a chance to pre-reg.(neither did my friends who came) so we all waited in line for the hour and 15 min.(we were there at about 9:15 and the line was already this long.) For three of us to sign up, once we got to an attendant, took about another 15-25 min. Already we have spent an hour and a half out of our total 9 hours in lines.

After this we went up to the third floor,( the break down of the floors is pretty much this First: registration/ conference rooms, Second: Tourny central, Third: Vendor/Main) and were amazed at it seein how this is all of our first times.

We walked around and each of us had about $60 at the start of the day. We each bought a ton of boosters and singles and were pretty happy with what we got in cards. Around lunch time we went over and got over priced food, but no worse than what you would expect from something like this.

Since we had purchased only visitor passes we couldn't participate in tournies so we sat down in the WoTC castle and played some games with each other. It was then that I realized we had spent about 3/4ths of our time here, and I needed to get into the HOUR LONG line for a D&D 3rd edition Player's Handbook.

I met some kewl people in front of me, but it was no compensation for the line. I mean I have to wait an hour to spend my money. As the guy behind me and his friend pointed out:
Guy 1: "I haven't ever waited this long to spend my cash"
Guy 2: "What about the line to get in?"

And that must have been the theme this year: Come to GenCon and wait hours to blow your money.

In all I had 3 good experiences while there. First, the guys who make Wheel of Time were giving out free starters and I got the dark powery side thingy deck. 2, Inquest was giving out free copies. And number 3, I got to see one of my friends kick a guys butt in the Doomtown miniature game, a game he just learned.

I guess that is the end of my story.

A

Almindhra

I went to Origins...Its located in Columbus, Ohio...And its held before Gen Con in early July...

This was my first time going...Now don't get me wrong, I loved it...I can't wait till next year...But there were some things wrong with it...

We drove 10 hours to get there, I'm from NY...

First of all, its for gamers...When we all went to go register for the next 2 days and the line was very, very long...And this was in the late afternoon, when you'd think no one would be registering...And behind those irritating long lines were these girls, who just sat there behind the computers and looked pretty in their short skirts and tight tops, and young guys who also worked for Wizards talking and flirting with them...When I went to register for activities, I was the first one in line of my group of 3...This one worker girl just sat there and sometimes looked at me with, not hate or anything, but some snotty look and never asked for who was next...And I know sometimes they had problems with the computer system, so I didn't go right up to her...But as soon as the girl sitting next to her called "next" and I went up there, she asked for the person behind me to come up in line...And she started laughing and smiling at them...You could tell they weren't gamers...It was kind of sad Wizard's doesn't care about gamers...They just want pretty, handsome, young people working for them...

In the exhibition area, Wizards had some tables for new games to be tried out...I must have walked laps around the tables, and only 1 Wizards guy (from MLB Showdown) wanted to get me to play a game...1!...I wanted to learn Legend of the Five Rings, and two lazy workers just sat there slouched in their chairs chatting with each other...And in 2 days, I did not learn anything from the Wizards games...All the other companys were eager to please if
they could show you how to play their game...Its egotism on Wizard's part, and also the fact that those people probably weren't gamers...

Wizards definately had the largest area in the Exhibition hall...It was just sad that it was so, I don't know, not casual like...Don't get me wrong, I really did enjoy myself...I guess its the little things that just tick me off...

But please, everyone, go to Origins next year...It is really fun for all gamers...

M

Multani

Based on all that was said...
An armed assault on Wizards headquarters doesn't seem like such a bad idea...
Nor is shoving a Maverick missile up their corporate a##....
:mad: