Public Education Discrimination...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, this is getting bit convoluted...

your original statement was that the fittest individual for lots of sex was the king/queen/leader of the country. I argued that they were not necessarily the fittest due to inbreeding. So then it turned to they get the most opportunities because of their position. I agreed, but observed that that hasn't really changed today. So I'm not sure what your whole point was.

Wilt Chamberlain is said to have slept with 1000 or so women, but how many children were actually the results of such liasions? Not many, I believe... so I don't know where you're going with the whole sex symbol thing.

D

DÛke

Spiderman:

Hmmm... well, first off, I'm not sure "nature" and "natural" can be used interchangeably. But to answer your question directly, of what is nature vs unnature (very weird word, by the way), thinking about it right now, I would have to say that pretty much everything is "nature" since they... exist. Whether they are "natural" is a slightly different matter... some things exist now that have been "artificially" made, such as clones. Something occurring in "nature" yet is not "normally expected", such as a mutation of a gene, could be considered unnatural simply because it's in the minority, but still "nature" because it did occur in the regular scheme of life. So I'm not sure if I came across clearly there, but I guess I'm trying to make a subtle distinction between "nature" and "natural". The latter is more perception, of what society has decided (which is most likely arbitrary :))

But as for the separation of genes and nature, the way you seem to be using them, genes are the foundation in one's self, what one possesses when they come into being. And you can look at such a gene under a microscope, say. Nature is how one develops in their environment, making use of those genes or building blocks (or not, in some cases), but cannot be "seen" or touched.
You say that the mutation of a gene can at least be viewed as "unnatural" since it's in the...minoirity? Can we even make such logic? Pretaining to the notion that whatever the majority is, it necessarily means that they are the rule and the "natual"? Does that begin to touch any sense of logic whatsoever? :) Why is the the norm necessirly, or more likely, "natural"? Why is it not the other way around? Or yet, why is it necessary to make such a distancing distinction, to the extent that whatever belongs to the majority and common practice must by that mass-accepatance and practice be natural? and everything else is merely...an accident, or an invention, or in any case unnatural?

Who are you, or who am I, to make such a precise judgements? without reason, I should add? Maybe out of fancy?

We should always be reminded that who we are today, what we have become, must necessarily appear "unnatural" to someone from an eariler time, especially a presocratic era. But do you say that we are unnatural today? That's quite absurd. We are of nature, and we are as natural as nature itself. We have been of nature, and have always been natural. Even today, even the minority, the majority, all rules and exceptions, "errors" and "flaws," as you are willing to accept, are of nature. I add to it that they are also natural.

You say some things as naturalness derives from the more probable and accurate expectancy we can make - otherwise, in the cases where a thing is not "normally expected," it can rightly be declared unnatural. But were we, as the human beings that we have become today anything that can be expected or fathomed two-thousand years ago? Maybe so, but surely not by what was the average expectancy.

You'll find my flaw here is the use of the word "become." We have not become - nature does not become. Life does not become. We be, and we have been, and will always be what is possible to being. What Nature endows is what we can be, and perhaps, what we will be. You or I have no control, not even a choice, not a single Yes or No in what we can and cannot be. Our nature insofar has been from the very beginning seconds of existence of the type-being “man” or “to-be-man,” till this very moment – as for our “naturalness,” that’s a fancy, a judgment, or to reduce it completely, a mere opinion. Unless you can state an ideal way of being to which other being can be viewed as an antithesis, a reprehension, an inferiority, and so make the call of “natural” and “unnatural,” you cannot use such language as "natural" and "unnatural" and still expect to be taken seriously, not on a profound level anyway. :)

Reason, science, philosophy, psychology, mutation, retardation of life...are all symptoms of Nature and naturalness - are instincts of how a life will be. A retarding life form, a retarding humanity, as I view it, is instinctive and natural. I don't commit the error of mistaking cause for the effect: a life is degenerate, hence it is sick and sickened...it is not sick and hence degenerate. No. It is being its nature: degenerate. It is feeling the side effects: sickness. Oh yes, science is an instinct, and not some objective reason. You have to have a certain type of being for science. And a world heralded by science while disregarding any other life-shaping and changing forces, is bound to mutate in any of many different ways, perhaps more quickly than it would otherwise. The “center of gravity” of our being shifts constantly with the shaping environment, and even more with the way we shape our environment. It goes from mutation, to our mutation – our preference of mutation…and science enables preference of mutation. Not to say without cost! Oh, we pay dearly for our preferences and choosing – our Nature overrules our science, Nature overrules all…science by itself cannot begin to hope to become the objective little creature that it always wished to be. Science adds to man what man prefers and “needs,” Nature laughs in return and takes away from man to keep the eternal balance and type “man” in being. Science tries to give to man, but Nature takes away and keep man a…man. I venture to be humorous a little, while making a point: supposing man wished for a third arm, eventually Nature will take away, say, a leg.

Now if we can say that homosexuality is unnatural, yet is genetic, then perhaps we should be able to find a certain preference or addition, or subtraction, whether voluntary or involuntary that man has made on behalf of his species, in order to have Nature add to him the instinct of homosexuality, or subtract from him "something" so as to enable him to have such an instinct.

However, the tediousness and subtlety of such task is unspeakable. Where to look for? What to look for? Man has changed remarkably…so we stand where we stood in the beginning: if homosexuality is, as you claim, genetic, than we cannot figure out if it’s natural or unnatural – and so we revert to our preference of “natural” and “unnatural.”

Did cavemen have the capacity to be homosexual?

(Now this is a late question, but Spiderman, are you sure homosexuality is genetic?)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You say that the mutation of a gene can at least be viewed as "unnatural" since it's in the...minoirity? Can we even make such logic? Pretaining to the notion that whatever the majority is, it necessarily means that they are the rule and the "natual"? Does that begin to touch any sense of logic whatsoever? Why is the the norm necessirly, or more likely, "natural"? Why is it not the other way around? Or yet, why is it necessary to make such a distancing distinction, to the extent that whatever belongs to the majority and common practice must by that mass-accepatance and practice be natural? and everything else is merely...an accident, or an invention, or in any case unnatural?
It's simple definition of what "majority" and "minority" is. The former is greater than 50% of the total, the latter less than 50%. If the mutation causes such a benefit that its members become the majority, then it's no longer "unnatural". All I'm using here is simple definitions.

Who are you, or who am I, to make such a precise judgements? without reason, I should add? Maybe out of fancy?
I'm not. Society does. Which is why I added "probably arbitrary", meaning that what society decided may not necessarily be the right or correct thing.

Did cavemen have the capacity to be homosexual?
Sure. Why not? Since there's no evidence either way, anything's possible.

(Now this is a late question, but Spiderman, are you sure homosexuality is genetic?)
I am not sure of anything, since knowledge is gleaned and learned all the time - I am merely reporting what is currently learned, and that is a gene has been found that "determines" one's sexuality (I say it in quotes because I'm not exactly sure if that is the correct wording). Like all genes, it has the possibility of being passed on but I don't think it is "genetic" the way you're wording it, as in gay begets gay. I just don't know enough of the inner workings to fully answer it (or even if enough knowledge has been learned to answer it fully anyway).

T

train

So - if this gene is genetic - would this school then be natural or unnatural...

a by-product of this gene perhaps...

or a by-product of fears on one side, and hope and mis-guided dreams on the other...

T

train

Honestly...

I think Natural is something that occurs without man's intervention...(trees will grow - even if we don't plant them...)

Un-Natural is anything that occurs because we have intervened...(trees growing out of their natural habitat - because we want them there...)

Natural - extinction of species...
Un-Natural - species staying alive because man protected it, bred it and re-populated it...

so being gay(more or less the attraction to the same sex), as long as those are one's non-intervened feelings and not taught to the person, is natural...

if it placed upon the person, taught, shown, etc., then I believe it is unnatural....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, any school is "teaching" a person something... so is all school "unnatural"?

To answer your question, if the gene is genetic, I don't see the school as natural OR unnatural. It's just an alternative (hopefully) to the bad environment already existing in current schools.

Ferret

Staff member
I like George Carlin's opinion of "natural" - everything is natural because it exists. People are part of nature, therfore so are our actions. It's all part of our natural need to survive...

-Ferret

"...not being bored is also part of surviving..."

T

train

Actually I do think schools are unnatural... in the sense that you are not free to choose what you learn...

Wanting to learn is natural - and seeking out knowledge is natural, but when it comes to grammar school the curriculum is never based on the individual, it is always about society...

Granted - I do know how much we've achieved because of schools, and personally I wouldn't have it any other way, but that's how I view it...

When the individual gets to make their own choice on learning(and even this is regulated) is college...

"It's all about college... co-eds!!!...";)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think college is basically the same as high school then; you still have to take "core classes" to fulfill your requisites for a major or just to graduate. The only thing you get to choose is the time and teacher maybe...

Some stuff in school is just basic though, i.e. alphabet, spelling, and math (and yet some people don't get that either). You might as well learn it in one place rather than "seeking it out" on your own.

Killer Joe

If there are going to be seperate schools such as the one mentioned in the original post then I think they ought to based academically not socially. (Man, my grammer sucks!)

Howard Gardner did a study at Harvard on the 7 inteliigence of man. Naturalist was one, Music was another and so on. (a quick search on your browser ought to cough up enough info on this). So a school for the musically talented ought to offered up, in fact, there ARE many. In these schools math, english and science (The Core Set ;) ) are taught but not over emphesized.

A school for the sexually challenged, or whatever is pollitcally correct, is wrong. How about we as teachers, parents and upstanding members of the community teach our kids tollerance. Then we wouldn't HAVE to fund public schools for the Left-Handed and the likes.

T

train

How about we as teachers, parents and upstanding members of the community teach our kids tollerance.
That was my whole point - it starts with the parents, and influences - such as teachers/friends - if all the friends are tolerant - it is only easier for the individual to betolerant...

Spidey - Agreed on the college bit - that's why I mentioned "regulated"...

Some stuff in school is basic... and that's why society as a whole has benefited, but communication(reading, writing, speaking, signing) and math(including logic) are the only natural concepts I know of that everyone needs...

And believe me - everything boils down to math... even reading and writing...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
it starts with the parents, and influences - such as teachers/friends - if all the friends are tolerant - it is only easier for the individual to betolerant...
But it hasn't happened yet... and doubtful it ever will. Heck, you still have racism in schools.

And believe me - everything boils down to math... even reading and writing...
And marriage... just read an article where some guy made an algebraic formula on various marriage things (communication, respect, etc) developed over 10 years or so and was correct 94% of the time...

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman
But it hasn't happened yet... and doubtful it ever will. Heck, you still have racism in schools.

And marriage... just read an article where some guy made an algebraic formula on various marriage things (communication, respect, etc) developed over 10 years or so and was correct 94% of the time...
I've been saving this for just the right time, but once again Mrs. F has something to say about this

Read, enjoy, post any comments you want here. But, please also forward any feedback about this article to Mrs. F as she is currently out of town and is only checking her email and not reading here...

-Ferret

"Try not to bring up the obvious irony..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if this should be it's own thread.... :)

I agree with the general substance of the article, general nitpicking on the first item. I think the greatest explosion of HIV transfers between heteros is in Africa, where infected men are engaging with underage girls, primarily because it is falsely (yet widely) believed that sex with a virgin will cure them. And of course, the girl infects her future partners...

But in the 80's, it was true that the fastest growing infected group was gays and now, since there's a new generation and the warnings have not been as prevalent as in the 80's. Read it somewhere a while ago...

But like I said, agree with the message.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It was in the paper, but it's probably on the paper's web site. Unfortunately, I think it was a while back so you'd probably have to be a "subscriber" to get it.