Props to BOK

• Thread starter TheCasualOblivion
  • Start date
T

TheCasualOblivion

First set in forever where the art didn't suck!!!

Seriously, I just got my big pile of Betrayers thanks to Ebay, and I really like the art. I haven't really said that since Ice Age...

Killer Joe

What is Art?

Art is a window washer in Madison. :D

But seriously forks, let's talk about the difference between Objective statements (where there is clearly right and wrong) vs Subjective statements (Which are mostly opinions based on personal feelings).

Objectively? Some of the art in MTG cards have NOT properly represented the card name/flavor of the card or it's mechanics. Examples have escaped my mind but I have seen discussion on these boards about some these mishaps.

Subjectively? Only the Foglio's have had art that I didn't care for except for Phil's "Serra Angel" on the cover of either Inquest Gamer or some other MTG rag. <WOW! Hot Momma! :eek: >

M

Mikeymike

I like Art, the window washer in Madison. He's dreamy!

T

TheCasualOblivion

...back in the old days they just let the artists run wild. There was a lot of different styles, different looks to the cards. Some of these cards were really special. Starting around Mirage, it seemed like there was an effort to bring some continuity to the card art, to make the cards more resemble each other. While they succeeded in that, the cards seemed a little less creative, and there were fewer "gems" when it came to the card art than in the early days. They also instituted what I would call a "Comic Book" style as the official style for the cards.

Betrayers of Kamigawa is the first set since the old days where I really find myself complimenting card art.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That's probably a good question for Ask Wizards, about what happened to "card art". I suspect it's probably the way you describe it - in the early days of Magic, it was just general fantasy so artists could draw whatever they thought the card title might mean. Nowadays (and I don't know when it started), I think artists are given more guidelines on how a card ought to be represented.