Prophecy - OH MY GOD!!!!

A

arhar

I don't really know if New Wave is a respectable site or not... But if it is, the Prophecy cards they published are just INSANE. By now everyone knows that I'm a fan of multiplayer... and here's the cards that I will will be horribly broken in that format:

Rare
6BB
Creature-Avatar
Illus. RK Post
6/5
If all graveyards have 10 or more creatures, Avatar of Woe costs 6 less to cast.
Avatar of Woe cannot be blocked except by artifact or black creatures.
T: Destroy target creature, that creature cannot regenerate.

A 6/5 Royal Assasin that destroys ANY creatures for BB??? Hmmm... I think melikes!!!! =)

Day 3 - The 5 Avatars
Staff

Welcome to our daily installment of Prophecy Rumors here on New Wave Strategy. We have received a partial spoiler list from an anonymous source. Since the source of this information is not known, there is no way for us to guarantee the authenticity of the information presented. We will be bringing to you at a pace of a few cards per day! Enjoy!

You've probably seen the Blue and White Avatars already, but here's all five of them.

Rare
6WW
Creature-Avatar
Illus. RK Post
4/9
Flying
If your life total is equal to or less than 3, Avatar of Hope costs 6 less to cast.
Avatar of Hope can block any number of creatures.

Rare
6UU
Creature-Avatar
Illus. RK Post
5/6
Flying
If opponent has no cards in hand, Avatar of Will costs 6 less to cast.

Rare
6BB
Creature-Avatar
Illus. RK Post
6/5
If all graveyards have 10 or more creatures, Avatar of Woe costs 6 less to cast.
Avatar of Woe cannot be blocked except by artifact or black creatures.
T: Destroy target creature, that creature cannot regenerate.

Rare
6RR
Creature-Avatar
Illus. RK Post
6/6
Flying
If any opponent controls 7 or more land, Avatar of Fury costs 6 less to cast.
R: Avatar of Fury gets +1/+0 until end of turn.

A Better Shivan for RR? No, I don't want any fries with that. JUST GIME ME MY AVATARS!!! =)

Rare
Celestial Convergence
2WW
Enchantment
Illus. Ray Lago
When Celestial Convergence comes into play, put 7 prophecy counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a counter from Celestial Convergence. If there are no counters on Celestial Convergence, target player with highest life total wins this game. If 2 or more players have the same highest life, the game is a draw.

I could just see a blue-white deck with Congregates, Spirit Links, Soul Wardens and counters that wins by putting THIS in play =))

In any event, I'm GOING to Prophecy prerelease in NYC. If anyone else is going, give me a holler!!!

P.S.: CT, 1 down, 2 more to go!!!

[Edited by arhar on May 10th, 2000 at 05:29 PM]

G

Gizmo

New Wave is quite possibly the msot reliable site currently running (bar Starcityccg.com, obviously :) ).
As far as I am concerned their spoiler lists are 100% surefire correct. The Avatars are all way out of sight for T2, but they will be a beating in casual play.

G

galtwish

I dunno, Giz. Avatar of Fury seems pretty plausible to me, especially after Urza's rotates out. Avatar+ Hired Giant isn't too bad.

Erik

I

Istanbul

Did anyone else notice the lack of a green Avatar?

WHITE - Unplayable. Too narrow a field. Only alongside Worship.
BLUE - Not bad at all. One way of stopping Morphling cold.
RED - WOW. Shivan Plus! I can definitely see this going into a developing Red Control decktype as the finisher.
BLACK - Ye gods! I'll just CAST the damn thing, if I can pop a creature each turn!

Celestial Convergence - Bad, BAD idea. Lemme think, I'll play this alongside white lifegain, and once I'm ahead of you, I'll drop an Energy Field. You lose.

A

arhar

Actually, there is a Green Avatar... he's a 8/8 Trampler that can be casted for 8 mana (which is AWESOME ALREADY) or 2 mana if the opponent has 4 more creatures than you - which is ENTIRELY possible with Rebels, Goblins, Faeries...

S

Spaceman Spiff

I want 4 of all of them ;)
espeically the green and black ones.. ;)

M

Mundungu

I am looking forward putting a few in my REc sur deck .....
:eek: :)

Killer Joe

How about that kind of new Force of Will?
Foil 2UU
Pitch an Island and another card instead of paying it's casting cost.
Counter Target Spell.
I wouldn't put four in my deck but two might be good.

G

Griffith_se

This is a list I put together from MtGNews, and New Wave.

I really like Mindgamer, and Flickering Peddler.

Celestial Convergence just says "Please break Me".

Spiketail Drake
3UU, Uncommon
Creature - Drake 3/3
Flying
Sacrifice Spiketail Drake: Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
"The spell will have to wait," said Alexi, pointing
up. "Drakes."
Illus. Michael Suffin (48/143)

Searing Wind
8R
Rare
Instant?
Searing Wind deals 10 damage to target creature or player.

Blessed Wind
7WW
Rare
Sorcery
Target player's life total becomes 20.
Illus. Anthony S. Waters

Denying Wind
7UU
Rare
Sorcery
Pick 7 cards from target player's library and remove these from game. Shuffle that library.
Illus. Tony Szczudlo

Plague Wind
7BB
Rare
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures not under your control. These creatures cannot regenerate. Illus. Alan Pollack

Vitalizing Wind
8G
Rare
Instant?
All creatures you control get +7/+7 until end of turn.
Illus. Jeff Easley

Rhystic Scrying
2UU
Sorcery
Unknown Rarity
Draw three cards; any opponent may pay 2 to force you to discard 3 cards.

6UU
Rare
Creature - Avatar
5/6
Flying
If your opponent has no cards in hand, Avatar of Will costs 6 less to play.

6WW
Rare
Creature - Avatar
4/9
Flying
If you have 3 life of less, Avatar of Hope costs
6 less to play.
Avatar of Hope can block any number of creatures.

Mageta (or Megata?), the Lion
3WW
Rare
Creature - Spellshaper Legend
3/3
2WW, discard two cards: Destroy all other creatures. They can't be regenerated.

Unknown Card
1G
Unknown Rarity (Rare I HOPE)
Instant
Target creature get +1/+1;
Your opponent may pay 2, if they don't, this creature gets another +4/+4.

Mine Bearer
2W
Common
Creature-Soldier
1/1
T, Sacrifice Mine Bearer: Destroy target attacking creature.
Illus. D.Alexander Gregory

Soul Charmer
2W
Common
Creature-Rebel
2/2
When Soul Charmer does combat damage to a creature, unless that creature’s controller
pays 2, you gain 2 life.
Illus. Glen Angus

Trenching Steed
3W
Common
Creature-Rebel
2/3
Sacrifice a land: Trenching Steed gets +0/+3 until end of turn.
Illus. Greg & Tim Hildebrandt

Troubled Healer
2W
Common
Creature-Cleric
1/2
Sacrifice a land: Prevent the next 2 damage to target creature or player.
Illus. Terese Nielsen

Diving Griffin
1WW
Common
Creature-Griffin
2/2
Flying, Attacking does not tap Diving Griffin.
Illus. John Howe

Flickering Peddler
2W
Unknown Rarity
Creature-Spellshaper 2/2
1W, T, Discard a card from your hand: Remove target nontoken permanent from the game, then return it to play under its owner's control.
Who I am to be is none of your concerns...
Illus. Dan Frazier

Mindgamer
1U
Unknown Rarity
Creature-Spellshaper 1/1
1U, T, Discard a card from your hand: Target player skips his or her next draw step.
Illus. Jeff Laubenstein

Negation
XUU
Rare
Instant
You may remove X blue cards in your hand from the game instead of paying Negation mana cost.
Counter target spell unless its controller pays an additionnal X.
"Some of you do not take no as an anwser, but
sometimes, there is no answer at all..." -Ertaï
Illus. Mark Brill

[me][/me]

[Edited by Griffith_se on May 11th, 2000 at 08:27 AM]

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

I hate to sound like a whiney-butt here, but is anyone else sick and tired of Red getting the shaft, Blue getting all these counterspells, and no more common artifacts anymore?

I liked common artifacts for the all-commons tourneys, they were good additions! Soldevi Sentry was way better than Drudge Skeletons for quick beatdown and Phyrexian War Beast just ruled! (I'd wish for better art on that one though.)

I am getting sick of all the free counterspells blue is going to have! Come on! What ever happened to focusing on creature battles again?! There is no way combo is not going to be strengthened when you include 5 different ACC (FREE) counterspells in a game! (I'm including Force of Will here, I should also include Rewind just to be interesting.) First turn I try to start my creature beatdown, blam! Nope, you can't have that! This continues on turn two with a normal 2cc Counterspell, and same on turn three. By this time, the combo player can set up their combo and wipe out a beatdown player.

And without fast burn for red, how can red compete?

C

Chaos Turtle

Actually, I think Red's avatar kicks ass.
Their wind is pretty fierce too, if it really is an instant, for those brown-mana decks like Wildfire.

I'd agree with you on the blue's free counters issue though, if not for the fact that they suck, for the most part.
Negation is only as goof as Force of Will on turn one, or if the opponent taps out, otherwise it's a weak Power Sink.
The pitch-an-island-and-another-card counter sucks. If I have to discard two cards, I want my spell back too. Not even as good as Thwart, which isn't that good. We need fewer "free" counters that suck and more good counters. (I want Dissipate back!)

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

I agree w/ gizmo 100 percent. I have seen little that will add to the type 2 enviroment. Mindgamer, negation, flickering guy, rystic scrying, blue enchant like grafted skullcap, the cards that allow you to ditch a land as the acc, that's about it. These are the cards that i believe can fit into current type 2 decks. I'm sure when we see the actual spoiler we can find some new good decks, and maybe there'll even be room for an avatar :)

[Edited by The Magic Jackal on May 11th, 2000 at 10:13 PM]

M

magicman_moe

i want them heheh they sound damn good oh by the way how do you guys rate a grafted skull cap around here cuz im about to get one just thought id ask cool thanks

A

Apollo

I like the Cap, but what are you trading for it?

Anyway, I like what I've seen of Prophecy, although I don't know about the Convergence... Well, I don't really care about type II (of course that's just me-I know some of you guys play it a lot), so I'm just thinking of the cool stuff you could do. For instance, I'm going to make an Avatar of Will/Parallax Nexus deck, and a deck around Mageta... enchant it with some untargetable enchantment and you have pretty good control. I'll also be making a G/W Flickering Peddler deck... Hermits, Spike Weaver and Feeder, Wall of Roots/Blossoms, etc. So I, for one, like what I see.

Apollo

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I can seriously picture an Avatar of Will and an Avatar of Woe in a Blue/Black counter discard deck.
I think white's avatar sucks, and without About Face or life gaining spells, you'll lose the game anyway.

D

Daenen

Woe and Will (version 1.0)
24 Lands

4 Dark Ritual
4 Avatar of Woe
4 Paralax Nexus
4 Duress
4 Unmask
4 Snuff Out

4 Counterspell
4 Miscalculation
4 Avatar of Will

I think that Red's Avatar would be good in a deck using Masticore and Howling Mines. Throw in some burn, and who knows how much fun you'll have? Here's a rough draft:

20 Mountains
4 Voltaic Key
4 Grim Monolith (just in case you don't get those Howling Mines)
4 Howling Mine
4 Masticore
4 Phyrexian Colossus
4 Avatar of Rage
4 Shock
4 Seal of Fire
4 Flame Rift
4 Arc Lightning

I was goldfishing around with this on apprentice, and it seems to be a lot of fun. Try it.

L

Lythand

The only thing I can make of Prophecy cards....

"BROKEN!"

Maybe I am jumping the gun, but some of these cards just send the subliminal message of "Abuse me!"

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

Lythand- I think you're jumping the gun a little, but Prophecy does just scream of the "Newbie's Wet-Dream Set" award. The Avatar of Might is just great as a fatty (a little high cost, but so cool!) The Winds are expensive, but don't you think if you really pulled one of these off somehow, you're opponent wouldn't just be totally demoralized? The Rhystic spells are a great way of getting cheap spells through without a really complicated or detrimental drawback.

And the new Spellshaper legends will be just great in all-Legends decks. I think this set won't be as broken as everyone thinks, but it will be what we truly want: FUN!

I

Istanbul

Maybe, maybe not. But I can definitely see a return of blue/black decks. Greel and Avatar of Will have incredible synergy, for example.