Prophecy Book!

G

garfobosonfire

I just finished the book of Prophecy! I didnt really enjoy it. Plus it didnt really have to do with much of the storyline of Phyrexia and Dominaria. Plus the book wasnt very good anyways! And(so as to not ruin the story for u others) someone dies in there that i thought was really cool! Damn the Keldons! Damn Greel!......sorry :( , so any way, gimme your feedback on the book!

C

Cateran Overlord

I enjoyed it quite a great deal, but there was a noticeable lack of the avatars that really dissappointed me. I really wanted the Avatars to wreak some havoc. The only thing that bothered me was that other than Greel, black got almost no representation in the book. What about the mercenaries in the set? Who are they working for? For that matter, who IS black in this set. There deosn't seem to be any connection between any of the black cards for once. Blue had Alexi and the Jamuraan airships, greeen had Jolrael and the Thresher beasts and Darbas, White is the Kipamu League, and red is (obviously) the Keldons. But who the heck was Black representing? Agent of Shauku seems to be the only black creature who has any connection to anything, and even that is a pretty weak tie.

G

garfobosonfire

Right on Overlord! There wasnt a whole lot of representation of characters in this book! Black was greel and maybe he had some minions or something! But Mercenaries have no representation in this!! That really bites!! And the Avatars are barely even mentioned!! That aint cool!

F

FoundationOfRancor

I didnt really like PR at all. The set was good, but the book was really unclear, and focused to much on haddad

R

Riva Iron-Grip

yah, the book sucked, but now nemesis, and mercadian masques hit the nail on the head. man pr sucked lota ass. that's what i thought. :D

T

theBruce58

I have to agree with Gar on this one; Prophecy was not well written, nor was it a good inclusion of all the facets of Prophecy.

And, to be honest, Prophecy was an expansion set, so the author wasn't even bogged down with as much detail as would have been necessary with a core set, like Masques! Grr.

And, yes, someone I liked very much died. It was unexpected, unnecessary, and in poor taste. It did not forward the story in any great degree; the person who dies, and that persons mate were always a good counter-point to Urza's lonely world of revenge. And now that that's gone, Wizards' writers may find themselves writing themselves into one heck of boring die-die-die storyline.

I really don't think this novel was well-thought-out. There were more than enough chances to bring the Avatars and the Winds into focus, as well as the Rhystic magic. Additionally, I thought Latulla was way too one-dimensional. I knew she was cruel from the text on the cards, but she did not strike me as a petty bully, or an idiot. She was a Keldon, and she was meant to be powerful and strong, if a bit heavy-handed.

Basically, Wizards had a great storyline potential, and provided a poor execution. One of the reasons I usually don't want to provide $6.99 + tax just to find out they're *still* not hiring decent writers.

Although, before I sign off, I have to say that the writer did command an impressive skill at describing battle in all it's gruesome reality. That was well-rendered (except for the exception above), however, there was little esle that was really that great.

The vehicles (land barges? where did they come from?), and many of the artifacts (steel ants? did I miss something? are they supposed to be Saber Ants?) were just thrown in out of some blue sky none of us have privvy to. :p

All in all, I gave the cover art (and the Latulla card) an A+, and the novel itself a D-.

M

Multani

Tag Guard

Barrin dies!
Now, that's wrong and messed up! :mad:

A

Apollo

Thanks for ruining it for those of us that hadn't read it, Multani.

And after all the annoying stuff he's done over in the Battle Arena, I won't miss the little bugger. :D

Apollo

F

FoundationOfRancor

Barrin does not die. Bruce! Welcome! I cant wait to have many more story plot conversations with you in the future! YOu should check in with new members!

T

theBruce58

Foundation; thanks for the welcome! By the way, I appreciate the spell you added for Urza's Legacy...hahaha...I'll be sure and check in with the new members area. Just joined, so still getting used to the thread areas (never used 'em before!).

And by the by, Multani, Barrin does not die. :) Although, a lot of Keldons do...and Jamuraans...and green creatures...and artifacts...

M

Multani

Tag Guard

That's a relief.
Apollo: How can I ruin the story if I haven't read it?
I was simply making a speculation based on the things Bruce said.

A

Apollo

Well, I haven't read it. And you sure sounded like you had. If you're not sure that what you're talking about is right, let us know, okay? When you say "Barrin dies!" it sure sounds like you know what you're talking about.

Now I'm all confused.

Apollo

S

superguy

mmmmm... toast....
But seiously, who dies? I need to know........
Oh well,Ill just buy and read the book :)

P

Planeswalker

I have to agree with you guys. Prophecy was a pretty weak story. No inclusion of the Avatars or Winds(other than that one little prologue), poor color representation, and Latulla was not cool. If you haven't read Bloodlines, you should as it is much better than this was. Besides, what the hell is the "Prophecy" that is fulfilled. I thought it would have to do with the Korvecdal, not some silly war. There's my $0.02 worth anyways. And Barrin does not die.

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

With the clues you guys gave, i think i have a pretty good idea who dies. I just want one thing awnsered: Does this person have a Card, and if so what is the card white or blue.

T

theBruce58

Planeswalker; I'm fairly certain the Prophecy refers to the Five Winds of Keld, invading Jamuraa, retaking the Heroes Blood, that kind of thing. However, this was also poorly communicated in the novel. You know, the more we discuss this novel, the less merit it seems to have as a whole. Taken as a whole, the novel seems to have stunk, and won over nobody!

Pie Eater (I didn't know they had pies in Phyrexia...hmmm...what kind of pies, I wonder...); yeah, the person has card, blue as a matter of fact. 1 Blue, 2 Colorless to cast, Wizard legend. 1/1. Whenever you or a permanent you control is the target of a spell or ability controlled by another player, you may draw a card. If ****, ******* ********** is enchanted, you may draw an additional card.
Without out a doubt, one of the coolest cards to grace Magic, and Wizards allows (that person) to be horribly mutilated. I don't think I'll soon forget or forgive that little "marketing decision." Grrr.

P

Planeswalker

Hey Bruce, the prologue i refered to is the one they published in TopDeck and in the book, about when they capture the Keldon warrior and he recites the scriptures.

T

theBruce58

Planeswalker; yeah, I read that one, too! It was pretty impressive, with the art and all. I liked it the way they handled it in the comic book type format. I think Magic would be pretty good as a comic book, but I honestly don't see Wizards sinking any more money in it than they do already. :(

P

Phyrexian Pie-Eater

Now most people will know who the person is. you've ruined it for them. In phyrexia we have few pies. I was an Emissary to Pietia, the land of pies. The inhabitants put up little resistance, and were easily phyrexianized/bettered. They also taste good fresh from my Easy Bake Oven.