Probably Too Much Snow [EDH]

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm kind of phoning this one in, but I'd been wanting to do that for a while now, and this seems like as good a time as any. All of my most recent EDH decks, with the sole exception of poor Rohgahh, have done well for themselves. So now I'm building some jank that can lose more games and give me stuff to complain about.

By the time I made it to my LGS, they were out of buy-a-box promo cards for Jumpstart 2022. If I'd snagged one of those, I'd have Kibo, Uktabi Prince. And I'd probably have built a deck helmed by Kibo. Instead, I cracked 15 packs and eventually found another new legendary creature: the one that I'd have preferred to build around anyway. So I threw an Isu deck together. How many snow cards does an Isu deck need? I don't know, but the answer is some number smaller than the number of snow cards I'm running. In fact, I basically just dug up a copy of every snow card in this color identity in my whole collection. I put them all in a pile, added more snow-covered basics, and used the remaining slots for some of my favored utility spells. So yeah, this deck is jank. It might not be strong, but it sure will be snowy. I regret nothing!

Commander:
1 Isu the Abominable

1 Abominable Treefolk
1 Adarkar Valkyrie
1 Adarkar Windform
1 Arctic Treeline
1 Arcum's Astrolabe
1 Ascendant Spirit
1 Berg Strider
1 Blessing of Frost
1 Blizzard Brawl
1 Blizzard Strix
1 Boreal Centaur
1 Boreal Druid
1 Boreal Griffin
1 Boreal Outrider
1 Brainstorm
1 Centaur Omenreader
1 Chillerpillar
1 Coldsteel Heart
1 Conifer Wurm
1 Cover of Winter
1 Crop Rotation
1 Dark Depths
1 Diamond Faerie
1 Exploration
1 Faceless Haven
1 Frost Augur
1 Frost Raptor
1 Frostpeak Yeti
1 Frostwalk Bastion
1 Frostwalla
1 Frostweb Spider
1 Gelid Shackles
1 Glacial Floodplain
1 Glacial Plating
1 Glacial Revelation
1 Glittering Frost
1 Harrow
1 Heidar, Rimewind Master
1 Ice-Fang Coatl
1 Iceberg Cancrix
1 Icebind Pillar
1 Icebreaker Kraken
1 Icehide Golem
1 Icehide Troll
1 Into the North
1 Marit Lage's Slumber
1 Moritte of the Frost
1 Ohran Frostfang
1 Ohran Viper
1 On Thin Ice
1 Pilfering Hawk
1 Regrowth
1 Replicating Ring
1 Rime Tender
1 Rimewind Cryomancer
1 Rimewind Taskmage
1 Rimewood Falls
1 Roiling Regrowth
1 Ronom Serpent
1 Saddled Rimestag
1 Scrying Sheets
1 Sculptor of Winter
1 Search for Glory
1 Seasons Past
1 Sensei's Divining Top
11 Snow-Covered Forest
9 Snow-Covered Island
6 Snow-Covered Plains
1 Sol Ring
1 Spirit of the Aldergard
1 Squall Drifter
1 Sunstone
1 Thawing Glaciers
1 Thespian's Stage
1 Wall of Shards
1 Winter's Rest

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Only played one game with this one, but I'll keep it around. Did a lot better than I thought it would. I thought that what's essentially "Oops, All Snow Cards" would be so clunky that the power level would be really crappy. Instead, this is kind of a middling deck. I'd like my chances against typical precons with this thing. And yeah, I eventually lost. But even that was under some rather extreme circumstances. My life was getting drained hard by a Baba Lysaga deck with Syr Konrad out, and I knew that if I didn't focus my attention that, I was dead. This gave the Tiamat player plenty of time to build toward a lethal board state. I was doomed either way, but the deck accounted for itself pretty well. Isu is fun.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This deck continues to lose games, but to hold its own surprisingly well against decks that really seem like they should walk all over it. The card advantage and provided by Isu is substantial, and a lot of the newer snow cards are pretty strong.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've kept this deck in my bag this whole time, but I guess I was hardly touching it until recently. Won my most recent game. Nothing fancy, and I benefited from a Nevinyrral's Disk that I avoided playing into. Abominable Treefolk is a superstar in this deck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Lost a miserable game with this deck after being completely color-screwed. I was eventually able to use Ascendant Spirit to draw multiple cards and finally get a Snow-Covered Forest on top of my library, which let me cast Harrow But by the time I had access to the colors of mana needed to play my spells, it was far, far too late.

Ferret

Staff member
Forgive me for sounding dense (again), but have you thought about a couple fetch cards for lands?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So for fetching lands from my library, this deck runs Thawing Glaciers, Harrow, Roiling Regrowth, and Into the North. Usually, finding lands isn't a problem. In my most recent game, what happened was that I had an opening hand with two islands, Faceless Haven, and Dark Depths. I had mostly green cards in my hand, but enough blue spells to occupy my first few turns. Well, in those early turns I topdecked another island and nothing else but spells that required white or green mana to cast. So not only could I not cast anything else from my hand, but I was still one mana short to be able to even cast Isu from the command zone. When I finally did get a fourth island and cast my commander, I just kept on topdecking more white and green spells. It was over-the-top bad luck.