Private Forums?

• Thread starter The Magic Jackal
  • Start date
T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD
What is the Private Forum topic for? when you click it it just takes you to a screen w/ all of the Forums.

What exactly is the Private Forum? Is it a IM type of thing? That would be pretty cool......

G

Gizmo

So, like, all the founders go and talk about us behind our back?????
How much do I not like that!

A

arhar

THERE SHOULD BE NO SECRETS IN CPA!!!

[Edited by arhar on May 4th, 2000 at 10:35 AM]

C

Chaos Turtle

Who says it's secrets?

Could very well be just a way for the admins to keep in contact on a board that's not being cluttered with color sigs, random posts, and "Tag."

So can I like, be an admin? :)

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Jesus people! You think I'm stupid enough to give out the CPA administrative passwords to anyone? Wow.

Have you never heard of security? (No offence here) but I don't know of many (or any) people here that have any clue how much time it takes to run and maintain a site - specifically one with forums.

It's the equivalent of not letting non-admins see people's IP numbers. That's basically sparking some bad stuff - DoS attacks specifically.

CT - wow, someone rational! ;)

So can I like, be an admin?
Well, I think we (founders) all agreed not to allow any more admins for a long time, if at all. (Who know's though?)

A

Almindhra

How about we just all kiss the "founder's" asses then

C

Chaos Turtle

Heh-heh. It's cool.
Y'all are doing a fine job and I have too much on my plate right now. :)

I doubt anyone's asking to have their asses kissed, by the way, Almindhra. I hope you were kidding.

Z

Zadok001

The Founders go behinf people's backs and talk about 'em? Hey, _I'm_ a Founder! Where's the private forum??? I'm serious! :) I must've never seen it...

Where's the link to it?

"Zadok001: Resident technically inept Founder!"

Z

Zadok001

Nevermind, I found it... :) The technically inept one located the thing. Just for the sake of reassuring everyone, no one's saying anything other than 'What do we do with this?' There are no secrets. We deny everything. There are no aliens. I'm digging my own grave with the X-Files nonsense, aren't I?

Seriously, there's nothing in there...

"Where's Mulder?"

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

[me]does not like this, The Magic Jackal does not like this at all![/me]

I thought this was an Alliance people!
What w/ all the secrets? Personally, i don't really care if people are talking about me, because i couldn't give a damn what you thought of me? Contrary to popular belief, I am not a crazy physcopath. I just enjoy killing people........:)

A

Almindhra

So whats the purpose of it exactly?...To test out things for the board?

Oh wait, we already have a board for that...

Hmmmm....

Nope, can't think of a reason for it...

G

Gizmo

Relax, I`m sure there are plenty of tech-headed reasons for it. It`s like the boiler room - only the janitor has the keys.

Sorry to Ed for kicking up a stink.

D

Dune Echo

TAG GUARD

Just to allay anyone's fears, it's primarily for the admins to converse about board maintenance and such and for Ed to let us know about updates we may need to know about.

The only thing Ed has put in there so far is he added Baron Sengir's nickname and told us we had to include < BR> to make a line break in announcements.

For anyone that's truly worried, The Dojo forums had one too, you just couldn't see the names. Were you really worried there? We are not talking behind anyone's back! That's what email is for! ;)

Seriously, don't worry about it, not one important thing has been put into it yet. It's just there for an eventuality, nothing else.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
(I'm in a pissy mood here, long week. So just basically 'lighten up' anything I say :D)

Jackal - WTF are you talking about? Did you even read my post? Do you have any idea what it takes to run a site like this? Do even know what a password is?

I highly suggest you try reading into something before you try to flame someone about it.

As Dune mentioned, all that is in there is a topic with a link to the control panel for these boards.

Although it is easy to find where that is without me telling you, I'd rather not let some pissed off guy who know's his way with telnet commands to go kill all my databases!

Also, as I mentioned: IP addresses. Do you know why they aren't publicly viewable?

I'll just do a comparison here. Ever been playing in an E-League tourney and suddenly been disconnected for no reason? (Regular phone line problems aside,) Someone sent a DoS attack your way. (DoS isn't MS-DOS, its Denial of Service) How? They have the internet equivalent of your SSN: your IP address. Every computer connected to the web at one time has their own unique IP.

Anyway, I think you see where I'm going.

Jesus people: 99% of you have no clue what you're talking about. (or what I'm talking about with all this tech stuff :D) Some of you immediately drew the (completely incorrect and baseless) conclusion that we're talking about every one behind their backs in that forum.

[me]lets out a *sigh*[/me]

[me]Decides to go hit people by playing hockey[/me] :eek:

Thank you.

(Re-read my disclaimer above before replying)
oh.. and [me]puts on flame retardent suit[/me]

M

Multani

Tag Guard

I must be one of those 1%ers. :D
Wow! I'm more mature than all you 15, 16, and 17 year olds. :p

"To make peace with the forest, make peace with me."
-Multani to Urza

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

whoa! sorry ed, I honestly didn't mean to piss you off, just trying to add a little humor in here :).

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Jackal - the [ me ] tag and the 'What w/ all the secrets?' line kinda killed that then. :)

Multani - 1% as in not understanding my tech stuff :D

Oh, and side note: I didn't get to hit anyone while playing hockey ( :eek: ), although I did get to take some good slap shots ;)