Predictions for Mirrodin

N

Notepad

Has anybody ever noticed how on MagicTheGathering.com, they often answer questions about things that give away hints for upcoming sets? They also slip hints into their articles. Key phrases seem to be "rules are meant to be broken" and "will this ever/never happen again, who knows?" and "we think that would be cool, too"

Based on recent hints, here are a few of my predictions for Mirrodin:

-Common artifacts
-Nonbasic lands that count as basics (ala dual lands)
-Return of another old days card (maybe this time Regrowth or Juggernaut)

I

Istanbul

Juggernaut (as a rare) - Maybe.
Regrowth - No. Too much potential for abuse.
Dual-basics - No. Too much potential for abuse.
Common artifacts - Quite possibly.

N

Notepad

They've hinted at Regrowth by name directly on multiple occassions, so I'm sure its coming back in either Mirrodin or Scourge (more likely Mirrodin).

As for the lands...I meant more what they were hinting at, when they answered a question about snowcovered lands, when they hinted nonbasic lands that counted as lands would come back. For example, Lonely Sandbar saying "Counts as an Island" or along those lines, but with a new cycle of lands, of course.

That would certainly be very backed up by the new land type field coming with 8E.

Though, the way they answered it, the land types might not be basic land wannabees, but along the lines of "Land--Lair" or "Land--Snowcovered" buit with new types since those two were used already.

R

Rando

Originally posted by Istanbul
Juggernaut (as a rare) - Maybe.
Regrowth - No. Too much potential for abuse.
Dual-basics - No. Too much potential for abuse.
Common artifacts - Quite possibly.
RE: Regrowth...What abuse? It's not like anyone is going to go into Timetwister/Timewaly/Regrowth recursion in Type II (the only format they care about.) The only reason that Regrowth is resrticted in Type I is because there are abuseable cards to be a target for Regrowth. I don't think a virtual 5 to 8 copies of all the bland crap they print now can be called abuse.

RE: Non-basics that count as basics....Once again, what abusive things can be done here? The new fetch-lands can grab them...uh...Landgrant in Extended...um, what?

jp

(oh, by the by, I've turned into one of those bitter type I guys. I like this side of the fence.)

N

Notepad

Agreed, Rando, Regrowth seems totally normal in today's T2 environment. As long as it stays restricted in T1, there should be no problem.

What you said about the fetch lands is one reason I suspect we'll see "Land--Forest" on some sort of green-related nonbasic land, for example, in addition to possible "Land--Butthole" or something.

This also makes perfect sense with the new "Basic Land" card type. If all they were planning were "Land--Lair" there'd be no problem with distinguishing and the basics could just say Land rather than Basic Land. But, their distinguishing basics from nonbasics like that totally backs up the idea they'll be putting out the "Land--Forest" type stuff.

-SeFRo

SeFRo: Land--Butthole? What the heck?
Mad Dog: Sorry. Didn't mean to take over the keyboard like that.
SeF: GET BACK IN THE BOX!

I

Istanbul

Dual-basics...which would basically imply the same thing as the old dual lands...would turn the ONS fetchlands into dual-lands and deck thinners. If you don't mean that, tell me what you do mean, please.

N

Notepad

Istanbul, check this out:
I meant more what they were hinting at, when they answered a question about snowcovered lands, when they hinted nonbasic lands that counted as lands would come back. For example, Lonely Sandbar saying "Counts as an Island" or along those lines, but with a new cycle of lands, of course.

That would certainly be very backed up by the new land type field coming with 8E.

Though, the way they answered it, the land types might not be basic land wannabees, but along the lines of "Land--Lair" or "Land--Snowcovered" buit with new types since those two were used already.
I hope that helps.

Train, time for you to write a "Bring back Regrowth" campaing kickoff article. You want to make sure its done, right? ;)