Pray for Lightning

M

Mordecai

This is my elf deck. I really like it, because with a good draw, it can just explode. It can win a 4-player multiplayer game on turn 3 in optimum situations.

Pray for Lightning

Critters
4 Llanowar Elves
1 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Skyshroud Elf
4 Priest of Titania
4 Quirion Elves
3 Seeker of Skybreak
1 Rofellos, Llanowar Emissary

Enchantments
4 Fertile Ground
4 Concordant Crossroads
4 Recycle
3 Alluren

Sorceries
2 Mana Severance
4 Rolling Thunder

Instants
4 Vitalize

Lands
10 Forests
4 Taigas (I use Mountains)

Let me know what you think. I really like it, but it's a bit inconsistent. If you know a way to improve its consistency, PLEASE let me know. Thanks much,

Mordecai the Destroyer

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I bet you mulligan a lot. Either find a way to fit in more mountains (or maybe just more land period!), or switch BOP's in for the Skyshroud Elves. Thawing Glaciers or Natural Balance could help you to locate red mana, but you'll have to use the mountains as mountains for that to work.

And beware Aether Flash.

TomB
CPA Member

C

Chaos Turtle

TomB, I think Mordecai's planning on using the Skyshroud Elves for red mana.

You might try dropping the enchantment combo for some more defense. Incinerate, Bolt, Wall of Blossoms, etc. This will help keep you from being overrun while you set up the mega-mana machine.
This will decrease your cahnces of 'exploding' but will improve overall consistency.
Your enemy? Counter/control decks.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I realized that C.T....I just thought that because it costs mana to do it, it's slowing him down. If you prefer, he could use the Birds for the LLanowar Elves instead.

Wall of Blossoms is an excellent idea too, since it'll give him an extra card out of the deal.

I think dropping the enchantment combo would obviate the whole purpose of the deck. It's main problem is consistency, so why not play into that by including only 1 or 2 copies each of the combo cards, and play it like a regular, somewhat low-powered deck until you draw into the combo, then WHAM , out of the blue, nail them all in one turn.

Maybe mix in Savannahs and Plateaus, and use Tutors to go and get your combo parts. Toss in an Armageddon or 2 if you like, to help slow your opponents down, since it wouldn't affect you too badly. Maybe add in an Overrun or 2 to give you another path to victory.

Now the bad news.

It'll only work once or twice before your opponents figure out what it is you're doing and gang up on you early, before you can get things working.

Multi-player is funny like that...

TomB
CPA Member

M

Mordecai

Funny story about this deck. My best friend and I were a team in Two-Headed Giant multiplayer. There were 5 teams of 2 people each. Each team acts as though they were one person. Enchantments and artifacts are shared by the team. My best friend was running his Secret Force-ish deck. It's basically Natural Order for a Hermit, Rotate for a Cradle, draw a bunch with Collective Unconscious and start again. His deck can generate a lot of mana. We won on our third turn. 10 players.

M

Mordecai

I kind of agree with the idea of reducing the combo-ishness for some defense, but the combo's too fragile as it is. I almost never draw it and when I do, I can't go off with it. I'm working on it, though. Thanks for your suggestions.