Power rare?!?

• Thread starter Budget Player Cadet
  • Start date
B

Budget Player Cadet

I just don't get it. Lots of people (even vintage players!) are getting hyped up about this new card, Prismatic omen:
Prismatic omen,

I just don't get how it's supposed to be really that good.
Can someone explain this to me?

R

rokapoke

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the lands have the basic land type, doesn't that mean they produce the appropriate mana, too?

Not that I'm saying that's why this would be such a power rare, but that seems like a good thing.

V

Venton

So, all my lands produce any color mana? That's pretty huge.

I'm not that knowledgeable about the latest deck styles, but i just got some ideas about the Invasion block cards that depend on how many different basic land types you have in play.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Intrawebs??? Spidey is out influenceing more people!!!! WE MUST PUT A STOP TO THIS!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

WARNING: Actual content post is incoming......

I like the card quite a bit. In fact, it is a definite acquire for my enchantment deck. Do you think it is likely to become restricted in any format? If not may try to get an entire playset!

END WARNING: That should about do it for any relevent content from me for at least 2-3 months.

B

Budget Player Cadet

DarthFerret said:
WARNING: Actual content post is incoming......

I like the card quite a bit. In fact, it is a definite acquire for my enchantment deck. Do you think it is likely to become restricted in any format? If not may try to get an entire playset!

END WARNING: That should about do it for any relevent content from me for at least 2-3 months.
Lol.

M

Modus Pwnens

It surely won't be restricted in any format. It's nowhere near the powerlevel of Bitterblossom, and even if someone manages to break the card, I still don't see it win fast enough to become a competitive deck.

Outside type 2 there is plenty of manafix (that's basically all it is, except for gaea's might get there in extended, which won't be in extended after October, so don't worry about it), so I doubt this'll see a lot of play.

It's a nice card for casual play though :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
You won't win games with this card unless you combine it with something else, unlike bitterblossom. It won't even keep you from losing games, like damnation/wog.

It does let you play a full domain, but it still doesn't get you any lands. If you want a full domain, you still need 5 lands to produce UBRGW. I can see it's use in enchantress though, or huge decks like 5color. Sure, it let's you run Corrupt or Flow of ideas in your otherwise monogreen deck, but if you draw those without Prismatic omen they're dead cards. And the Omen is dead without those cards. I wouldn't take that risk unless you were running a lot of colors to begin with, and get rewarded for playing enchantmets. Like, enchantress :)

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
So you need Coalition victory, Prismatic omen, Scrapbasket or some other 5-colored permanent, and 8 lands. Well, 1 land and 8 mana to be exact. Granted, it is a combo, but not enough to declare it a power rare. Still the card seems to have some value, so it must be better than I think it is.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Shabbaman said:
So you need Coalition victory, Prismatic omen, Scrapbasket or some other 5-colored permanent, and 8 lands. Well, 1 land and 8 mana to be exact.
Well, that's just one example. And I kind of hate Coalition Victory, but it seems like it could be fun.

Granted, it is a combo, but not enough to declare it a power rare. Still the card seems to have some value, so it must be better than I think it is.
Nah, I don't think it's a power rare at all. It's decent, but nothing spectacular. Saproling Burst is a power rare. This just looks fun, not intimidating.