Post Gush-Restriction 'Tog ... Type I

E

Evan_Mann

My my my...what is this? An actually content laden post by Evan_Mann? Why yesindeedee.

With Gush's restriction taking place on July 1st, so goes FastBond's usefullness. The only other reason to play green in the various Psychotog builds is Berserk and Regrowth ... neither of which are reason enough to continue to support green. Yes yes yes...there's still Quirion Dryad. But once again with Gush out of the picture, gone are the turns where you turn your 1/1 Dryad into a 10/10 and then Timewalk in for the Berserk kill.

The alternatives then are to go straight blue/black or splash another color. White is cute and does have some nifty choices but none of them compare to the power of Red Elemental Blast and Fling ... the Berserk replacement.

So, I think that come July 1, I will be trying this...

4 Psychotog

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Timewalk
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Gush
2 Intuition
4 Accumulated Knowedge
1 Yawgmoth's Will

1 Mystical Tutor
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Demonic Tutor
2 Cunning Wish

1 Upheaval
4 Manadrain
4 Force of Will
2 Misdirection
3 Duress

1 Black Lotus
1 Sol Ring
5 Moxes
4 Pollted Delta
4 Underground Sea
4 Volcanic Island
4 Island
2 City of Brass
1 Undiscovered Paradise

SIDEBOARD
1 Fling
4 Red Elemental Blast
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Capsize
2 Blue Elemental Blast
2 Fire/Ice
1 Ebony Charm
1 Stroke of Genuis
1 Shatering Pulse
1 metagame call

Comments? Does anyone know of a way to "combo out" with just black and blue? That would save a lot of stress on the manabase.

Also, I'm sure I'm missing some nice Instant tricks to Wish for...so if anyone has ony suggestions in that department, that too would be nice.

One more thing...should the 3 main-deck Duress be some sort of removal?

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond.

EM/jp

R

Rooser

I wouldn't run all 5 moxes, just the 3 of the colors you're playing. Maybe another wish or two. I can't think of anything off the top of my head for the sideboard. Maybe run 1 fling main deck - you can get it with the mystical tutor. Fling will probably be a faster game closer than you'd think. As for duress, hmm, I dunno. I love the card, but it might not be worth it in T1. It draws out counters like the dickens. Then again, a little more removal would be good; you'd want an easy path for the tog.

E

Evan_Mann

Concerning Duress (which is, by the way, a true force to be reckoned with in Type I) ... I think they may be "permision overkill" with the 8 counters and 2 Misdirections already in there.

I think I may make them 1 Mind Twist, 1 maindeck Fling (I like that idea) and a Merchant Scroll.

I have yet to decide if playing the off-color Moxes will hurt or not. I'll test both ways.

Thanks for your input.

EM/jp

R

Rooser

Turn the off-color moxes into 2 terminates or 2 chainer's edicts.

T

train

I'd say diabolic edicts - you don't need the flashback, just be able to handle surprises...;)

M

Mikeymike

Being that you've got 4 sources of green maindeck (5 including the Lotus) I'd put (at least) 1 copy of Beserk into your board - it allows for many fewer necessary resources for a kill than Fling, and it allows Fling to be the emergency/secondary kill card it should be. Fling is very dangerous in Tog b/c the opponent can wait until you start pitching cards (and eating your GY) before out-countering you.