Points Draft?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Would you guys like to have me generate these packs and "shuffle" them for your purpose?

Ransac, cpa trash man

E

EricBess

9th Edition. I would go 10th, but we won't know that for sure until at least the weekend. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
All right, so here's the Magic sets:

Visions
Urza's Legacy
Future Sight
Apocalypse
9th Edition

Ransac, can you generate 3 boosters of each set and shuffle? Thanks. Oh, and you can randomly determine the order of drafting too.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Packs Generated and shuffled. Here's the order:

Melkor
Spidey
train
Mooseman
EricBess

Here's your first card:
  • (5) Sisay's Ring

EDIT: How does shuffling these cards together work with you guys each having 60 points?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, I packed away the Duelist that has this Draft, so I'm going by memory.

60 Points is supposed to give you a 40+ size deck. This was way back though, so I think you were supposed to generate a Starter each, including land. However, because most of those expansions don't have Starters, I just said 3 boosters = 45 cards and we can add the land in later - although it might be interesting to have land in to "draft" :)

T

train

Since we have a fourth pack - 80 points maybe? (60 points valued packs at 20/each...)

E

EricBess

There are 3 packs each, or 45 cards. With 60 points, the average you will end up paying for each card will be 1 1/3. That means there will be a decent number of 0 point cards that you will need to take in order to get cards you want. 80 points would mean you could average just under 2 points per card.

Realistically, you only play around 20 cards anyway, plus lands and a few lucky "ditches", so you can probably afford to pay 3 points per cards that you intend to play and 4 or 5 if you really want the card. Just remember that every card you get for 4 or 5 points is less cards you can get for 3.

Given that there are only 5 players, there will probably be a decent number of playable "ditches", so I don't think 80 points is necessary. 60 should be fine. 80 points lets you pay 4 cards for anything that you intend to put in your deck and still probably have a buffer for bombs.

Ransac - Shuffling everything together should be fine. Since Melkor passed on Sisay's Ring, it decrements in value to 4 and a different 5-point card is turned over. Spidey has the option to take the new card for 5 points or the Ring for 4 points.

Consider it like a board with 6 slots labeled 0 through 5. When a card is removed from a slot, all higher-point cards shift down one and a new card is dealt into the 5 slot. Until all slots are filled, players can choose to pass instead (as Melkor did).

E

EricBess

We should probably have the points and number of drafted cards listed with the turns. So at this point, we have the following:

Spidey - 60 pts, 0 cards
train - 60 pts, 0 cards
Mooseman - 60 pts, 0 cards
EricBess - 60 pts, 0 cards
Melkor - 60 pts, 0 cards

• (5) <new card>
  • (4) Sisay's Ring

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Spidey - 60 pts, 0 cards
train - 60 pts, 0 cards
Mooseman - 60 pts, 0 cards
EricBess - 60 pts, 0 cards
Melkor - 60 pts, 0 cards

• (5) Grave Scrabbler
  • (4) Sisay's Ring

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'll pass also.

Thanks for doing this Ransac! If it gets to be too much, you can send me the shuffled pile and I can turn the cards over for everyone :)