Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dont really care

• Feel like quiting Magic

• Total voters
W

Wonka

When you play Magic do you hate losing to scrubby people????

W

Wonka

You know I hate losing to people that suck so bad. It doesnt happen often to me though but when I do I get really mad. I dont like decks that dont even deserve to be playing unless its just for fun. There is a lot of them that goes down to the card store where I go, but there is a couple of good people. Yellowjacket is good but hes no Bill Patterson:D

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Is it someone who doesn't wash regularly? Someone who needs to "scrub"? Or is it someone who "scrubs" floors for a living, or windows? Pots and pans?

Oh, I know. You're talking about a player who showed up at your tourney with a rogue deck that beat the pants off of your "netdeck", and now you are rationalizing your poor performance by putting down the opponent that beat you.

:rolleyes:

I've never understood that. I mean, if your opponent was so "scrubby" (is that a word?) how did they beat you? Aren't you just putting yourself down by saying your opponent wasn't worthy? They did beat you, after all. That took some skill, didn't it?

Or maybe not...:p

M

Mikeymike

Well...sometimes some kid shows up with a super powerful deck he pulled off some website. He doesn't know how to play it properly, but the deck is easy enough to play/powerful enough/works on its own so well that he doesn't need to know how to play it.

That is a little frustrating, but that is the age of competitive magic. If your deck can't beat him then your deck probably isn't in that upper echelon, or its a matchup you simply shouldn't win.

T

theorgg

To me, a "scrub" is somone who isn't educated about Magic to the point of understanding what makes a tournament-viable card vs a casual card.

I've only used it once, and it was with sorrow and a fond memory of my such ignorance. A kid had just opened an Avatar from Prophesy and was fawning over it.

*theorgg nods

If I loose to the kid, I'll talk to them, see how long they've played, and mabe even take a look at their deck to see if I can help tune it up better for them. I'll explain some basic strategies to them, and see if I can help them get their collections a higher quality-average.

G

Gizmo

Scrubs exist. They are people who play bad cards, for bad reasons, and make equally bad plays for equally bad reasons.

However there IS a luck element in magic, and a bad player CAN beat a good player.

Good players hate losing to scrubs. It makes all the effort they put into learning how to build decks correctly, and play correctly, seem a little bit wasted.

Thats the bottom line.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The only time I get mad losing to scrubs is when they beat me in tournaments and my rating goes down 20-25 points because of it. But, other than that, it's all in good fun.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It depends on the attitude of the player more than his skills or deck. An arrogant person who's making bad plays but still wins is worse to lose to than a person who's polite or nice.

People just don't like losing, period.

M

Mikeymike

From Spidey
An arrogant person who's making bad plays but still wins is worse to lose to than a person who's polite or nice.
Bingo, you nailed that sucker.

I remember this random guy showed up at the local Wizards store one night, never seen him before but he was one of those tools who needed to comment on how bad everyone's card selections were for their decks and how he could beat anyone in here.

I invited him to a friendly game of Emperor's, we were both the opposite Emperor's. Our Lts. were evenly matched players, so when we smoked them (bad) 2 games in a row it was especially gratifying.

He of course blamed it on his Lts. and he challenged me to some Type 2 duels, I accepted. Actually he said something like 'I'll kick your @ss in Type 2 duel anyday'.

He was PO'ed b/c everyone watching was rooting for me, I guess he expected his big talk would impress everyone. I informed him that 'They are all rooting for me b/c I treat them all with respect while they all see you as the arrogant a-hole that you are.'

I beat him 2 out of 2 with a G/R deck with Catalyst Stones. He of course commented how stupid I was for playing them, and then after they slowed down his Call of the Herds he complained that I was lucky I was so stupid.

Shortly afterwards he left with a parting 'You (homosexuals) are all a bunch of (female genitalia).' Class act.

C

Chaos Turtle

Winning with bad cards rules!

Sounds like that guy forgot how to have fun playing a game. He got what he had coming. Good work.

E

EricBess

Originally posted by Spiderman
People just don't like losing, period.
Someone quoted the first half of your post, so I felt it my duty to quote the second half.

Okay, I'm not going to lie and say that I enjoy losing. I much prefer winning. However, what I really like is a good, well played game.

I don't "hate" losing to scrubs. But it frustrates me. However, one thing that you need to keep in mind is that I don't typically play constructed. One of the reasons for this is because I don't think it is a good test of skill. Much of this is for the reasons stated. Constructed isn't about being a good player of Magic. Yes, that comes into play, but more important is knowing what is in an opponent's deck, how to play around it, and, most importantly, how to choose which deck to play.

As such, if a scrub beats you because they have the right deck and you have the wrong deck (at least for that particular match-up), than that's part of the game.

To me, losing to scrubs is something much different. I've played games where I've watched my opponent ineffectively cast one sub-par, non-tournament worthy card after another. Cards that were drafted or selected for play. Cards that are easy to play around and not a problem. And my deck rolls over and plays dead...two games in a row after crushing him the first game.

But it's not the scrub's fault, even if the scrub acts arrogant about it...It's just the way things happen sometimes. Personally, I'm used to my luck being like that, which is another reason I don't play in tournaments... :p:D:p

E

EricBess

One last thing I meant to say, but didn't. I have played a lot of games that were very well fought by both sides. These are the games I prefer, win or lose, because one mistake can make a difference. It is a true test of skill (in general). I've lost such games and gone home very happy about the game because I knew I played well.

On the other hand, I've completely crushed some opponents and not enjoyed it in the least because there was no challenge. I guess you could say that I don't like losing to scrubs, but I don't like beating them up, either.

W

Wonka

If I crush somebody in 2 games and if their a scrub or not Im happy, especially if their good.

C

Chaos Turtle

I hate it when I tell someone that a certain card is no good, that much better cards should go in its place...then they kill me...with the terrible card.

I just laugh...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Aside from skill, the games that suck, either when you're winning or losing, are games lost to mana floods or hosed. That's just no fun (obviously you'll take the win in a tourney, but objectively, you're playing solitaire).

Good games are like those EricBess described, or when you come back from 5 or less life when your deck was not designed to do that, or stuff like that :)

T

theorgg

Actually, most of the games I remember as being "Good" games(barring the one that will be detailed in my torment report, which has been delayed AGAIN due to a computer crash-type of thing) I actually came out on the loosing end of the game. I can only remember ONE of the "big games" that I didn't loose, but I still remember them as good games.

The one I didn't loose was against a NG cocky player(one of those it's not fun to lose to at all), and was kinda cheesy... but so was he. He placed the 1W thing that allowed you to gain two life for each thing sacked, then placed it into the graveyard. Since he had cheesed me for many different things(forcing me to desleeve by judge's request, even!), I said simply "Since the spell is in the graveyard, it has finished resolving, thus you sacrificed no permanents." He balked, but Sol Malka, David Leader, and a few other lesser-known people were nodding their head, either in dissappointment, or in satisfaction... I don't know which...

I bet he hated loosing to a "scrub." Expecially after getting locked down by a double-destructive urged Flailing Manticor after a third turn Stone Rain... :[ )

W

Wonka

Im glad you did beat that guy he sounded pretty cocky. I hate losing to scrubs but I have no attitude though. I usually keep everything in my mind I never say anything out loud. Usually I just express all my anger when I tell my friends who I lost and how I lost.