Planewalkers

M

Modus Pwnens

Since fair's fair, here's my deck.
Small sidenote: I consider myself a casual player mainly in the sense that I like to play homebrew decks. I have a very large collection of cards, and do have some tournament quality decks as well.

This deck however is one that is fun to play, and playtesting it a bit learns me that it is not a very bad deck either. The key here is that it takes quite a bit of skill to play against this deck, but I'll explain that after the decklist.

As the title suggests, it's a "theme"-deck, I'm typing the manabase from memory, so it might differ a bit from my actual build. I'll check it when I get back home.

Standard Legal:

Creatures
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Angelic Wall

Other spells
4x Pollen Lullaby
2x Holy Day
4x Wrath of God
4x Fertile Ground

Planewalkers
3x Ajani Goldmane
3x Jace Beleren
3x Liliana Vess
3x Chandra Nalaar
3x Garruk Wildspeaker

Land
4x Gemstone mine
3x Horizon Canopy
3x River of Tears
1x Grove of the Burnwillows
3x Adarker Wastes
2x Karplusan Forest
2x Sulferous Springs
2x Brushland
1x Caves of Koilos
2x Graven Cairns

I think this is pretty accurate, could be 1 brushland, 2 caves though, but that's not really important.

Playing the deck isn't as easy as it seems, I often have to make choices about which walker to play.
The idea of the deck is pretty obvious. Spend a few (usually about 2-3) turns building a solid manabase, while defending the base with some walls. Then start playing planeswalkers till you drop, protecting them with wrath's and prevention spells.

It's hard to play against, as my opponents have to split their resources in fighting me and my planewalkers, which buys me a lot of time. As long as they attack my walkers, I live to play even more, and if they start attacking me most planeswalkers run out of control pretty fast.

I can assure you, looking down the board to see 4 or as much as 5 planewalkers fighting for your cause is really fun ;)

Any comments?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have that much experience with planeswalkers, but I have played a tribal game where a player used almost the same mix of planeswalkers you have. Very potent.

M

Modus Pwnens

Magus of the Moon kills it though, unless I have two fertile ground on the table or a chandra in hand. Still need to find a reliable solution for that.
Thinking in non-casual ways, Magus is a sideboard card though, so I could just include some random red burn in mine, and board it in as a precaution..