Planeshift NOW!

What do you think of PS?

• Great set, Wizards does it again!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finally, a good set after Invasion and Masques block garbage.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Bleh, the past few sets were better.

• The past few sets are horrible!

• Planeshift? Um, I'll wait for a pro to say something first.

• Pie.

• Total voters
C

Cateran Emperor

Oh wait, that'd be the phrase for Apocalypse then wouldn't it? ;)

Anyway, now that we've (mostly) all seen Planeshift, how's this wacky set full of gating and battlemagi and such going to affect the game?

I'd say definately in the positive, but then I say that about every set don't I?

Gating is supremely cool, ultra creature kill is back (go Terminate!), my only regret is the lack of LD in B, R, or G. But oh well, I guess Destructive flow counts (kind of...)

H

Hetemti

The set has it's jems, like Terminate and Star Compas (I need three more of each!) but there's nothing earth-shattering. We've got our Unglued card (Gob Game), our crap rares (Like that stupid Spider), and a few cards with simply awesome art (Shivan Harvest ROCKS! Finally some old-school violence! I'm so sick of the argument art, like Opposition, Mogg Toady, Shoving Match, and that blue "Counter target blue spell" thing). Yet nothing seems like it'll really shake things up. W/B will be a tad stronger, Machinehead will Terminate and still lose, and Fires is Fires.

E

Elrond

I think the set has added positively to the tournament scene, and even more so to Casual Play. I mean it has several cards which just scream theme deck, or can fit in many pre-existing ones, such as:
Lord of the Undead, an actual zombie lord I want 4;
Dralnu's Crusade, looks good for a R/B goblin zombie deck;
Nemeta, Grove Guardian, insane for Saporlings especially considering there's already so many different ways to make them;
Draco/Stratadon, good for the domain decks, Draco won me three games at the Prerelease and is just awesome IMHO.
I'm sure there are others that I'm forgetting, but those are all that come to mind at the moment.

D

Daggertooth

I agree. Planeshift has done alot for theme decks. Imagin a Battlemage deck with alot of Familiars. He...He...I cast my Nightscape battlemage with 3 mana for all the kickers.

Tons of fun.

Daggertooth

O

olwen

I was playing B/R/G and had all three familiars in play. Shivan Wurm was cast for just RG, bounced the Thornscape Familiar back to my hand, cast him for G! Beatings ensued.

I also had a Flametongue Kavu and three different ways of getting it back into my hand -- Recover, Darigaaz's Charm, and Lava Zombie. I once played the Flametongue three times in a single game! The charms are never a waste.

Cateran Emperor> my only regret is the lack of LD in B, R, or G

There is the stone rain cantrip Implode, and the Kickered Nightscape Battlemage ability.

S

Sidar Jabari

Yeah, it's a damn funky set!

Battlemages, gold creatures bouncing in and out of play (fleetfoot panther is just pure class!), dragon charms, lairs etc..

I don't think there's been a set with so many cool card cycles since Tempest (even though the power level is a bit lower nowadays!)

But the main thing is 'draw a card'. The lack of cantrips Urza block and Masques block were noticable (probably due to cycling and ACC's stealing all the limelight!) but I'm very happy to see them back.

C

cbearsbro

Haven't gotten a chance to play any of the cards yet :( But from the boosters we bought and the cards that were in them, I'm definitely liking the possibilities of what I see. Bought 6 packs, got a couple of terminates and death bombs, star compass, singes [one foil, now that's a funny card: 1 damage and creature is black til end of turn. Sense of humor. Gotta love it :) ], couple of different battlemages and familiars, fleetfoot pathers, and a Shivan Wurm [dang, that's a biggin :D] Can't wait for the booster box we pre-ordered arrives :)