Planeshift card revealed!

T

Taysir

This is the latest of the Invitational cards; this one is created by Chris Pikula.

Meddling Mage
WU
Creature - Wizard
2/2
As Meddling Mage comes into play, name a nonland card.
The named card can't be played.
Meddling mages chant so loudly that no one can get a spell in edgewise.

I like. It will lead to a new beatdown deck, most likely.

C

Cateran Emperor

Interesting. Where'd you hear this from? I heard about him earlier, but I'd like to know where PS info is coming out from.

T

Taysir

It's on the Sideboard Online... I'm pretty sure that's credible...

I

Istanbul

If this guy is real, he kicks some @ss! Combo decks will sputter and die, and most theme decks will feel the burn.

"I'll name Disenchant."
"I'll choose Rising Waters."
"No more Stone Rains."

D

DÛke

Well, they're reprinting Black Lotus in Planeshift.

What I'm trying to say is that if this is in fact real, it will be real to an extent. There's no way they would allow this version to be released.

"What if I Shock it and kill it"? Would the effect still take place? Isn't that too much for 2 mana?

If this exists, it would be something like:

Meddling Mage WU
Creature - Wizard
As Meddling Mage comes into play, name a non-land card. As long as Meddling Mage is in play, copies of named card can't be played.
2/2
Meddling mages chant so loudly that no one can get a spell in edgewise.

That would get my respect and attention more than the original version. That would also be more believable for costing as cheap as 2 mana.

Just my foreign opinion...

L

Landkiller

Duke :
I believe you misunderstand this card. Creature abilities do not remain in effect once the creature has left play. It would not require additional text to say so.

D

DÛke

My fault! Sorry. Thanks Landkiller! Well, I guess it is a good card after all. Still though, easily killed. Oh, the counter power might help, but yet again...

A

arhar

One other thing is bugging me from this article: They casually mentioned that this is the most powerful card from Planeshift. I mean, this card is great, but I guess people who were hoping for something "strong, but not broken" a-la Living Death shouldn't get their hopes too high :)

T

Taysir

I personally think that this cards fits under "strong, but not broken". It can, by itself, stop all the one-trick decks out there. Admittedly, there aren't many anymore, but there are some.

I

Istanbul

...is that this card will be played in Extended and Type 1. All those combo decks just became a lot harder to play.

B

Baskil

This will see play all *over* the place. Of course, wans't the same thing said about Rootwater Thief?

A

Apollo

I don't see it in type II (barring something else from Planeshift). U/W Fish decks don't work all that well, and a CounterWrath deck doesn't need it (CW doesn't want small beatdown creatures, and has all kinds of counters already).

That said, it will probably be used in Extended or T1 ("Vintage":(). It is great against combo decks, obviously, and good against Tradewind decks, etc. Duals can fit it into any decks, so I can see Fish, Jank, WW, or some other form of controllish beatdown being good again.

I hope it isn't the best card, though. It isn't all that great.

B

Baskil

In counter-wrath, this can stop spells like Urza's Rage, Kavu Chameleon, Armageddon, Blastoderm, Disenchant, you name it. This will be used.

D

DÛke

...how could that be the "best" card in Planeshift?
I know it's good, but come on, the "best"? I know there are other good cards, but if THAT is the best, than I feel sorry for Planeshift. Yet again, the "best" according to whom? To each their own taste.

T

Taysir

The term "best card" relies on the eye of the beholder. Do you mean most breakable? Most solid? Least likely to suck? If you mean "least likely to suck", then this card is certainly up there, but if you mean "most breakable", this thing doesn't stand a chance.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sir arhar: You said "they mentioned casually that this was the most powerful card in Planeshift". Who's "they"? The designers (who presumably have access to the full set list)? Or just players who are speculating?

A

Apollo

Spidey: Bueler said that.

Baskil: the only one on that list that CW can only stop with the Mage is Urza's Rage. All the others can be countered or Wrathed away. And they should be able to win before their opponent ever gets to 12 mana.

CW doesn't need a small creature. The attacking from the Mage won't do anything. In addition to that, CW will likely be forced to Wrath its own Mage away in a few turns anyway.

So essentially, for CW it's a Null Chamber that will be Wrathed away. Not to mention, it can be easily killed by one of any dozen other spells.

B

Baskil

However, it essentially gives you more counterspells. And it makes it easier to establish control. That's why it will get played.

I

Ihsans Shade

still, I agree with duke, If this card makes it to the finals, it will probably have a 2WU casting cost atLEAST! There is know way that WotC will let a 2/2 with out speacial abilities cost only two mana (Goblin Hero anyone?) What makes you think that they'll let loose a 2/2 with game shatering effects that cost only two mana.

a bit skeptic...
Ihsan's Shade