4 x Aluren
2 x Sprouting Vines

Land
2 x Dromar's Cavern
4 x Forest
5 x Island
5 x Swamp
2 x Terminal Moraine

That's basically v 1.03 (for all you Blizzard fans) of a deck I'm casually throwing together. Note I haven't even tried to plan this for mana curve or utter efficency so there's a lot of cards that I'm sure I'll take out when I get the time to actually say "hey this card doesn't go with the theme of the deck." Basic plan: play Aluren. Get a Cavern Harpy either in hand or have one in play. Then get either Brain Freeze or Tendrils of Agony into your hand. If they arn't available use Whirlpool Rider to cycle thru your library. Once you've got Aluren out and both cavern harpy and brain freeze available: play the harpy for free & bounce it back to your hand with its own ability. Rinse and repeat and play the freeze. Instant deckout for any and all of your opponents.

S

Skyrider

lol So I've seen. Get burnt by blue decks in the past?

I've only been playing a few months but I've really grown to like blue because I tend to work more with combos and tricky plays, and that's what blue's about.

T

train

The trickiness and combos don't bother me much...

It's the flat out ability to say "no" to something...

S

Skyrider

Well that's always great fun too. I wanna try and put together a counter deck for kicks.

R

Rooser

Well I'm not vindictive towards blue like train is, but I think what he's saying is locking down your <b>friends</b> with static orb and opposition is no fun for either side. For casual play, control-freak decks get real old real fast.

Furthermore, what I find more fun than building blue decks is building anti-blue decks. I don't mean maindecking blue hosers, (Well, there are some blue hosers that can be justifiable maindecks due to their usefulness outside of hosing blue; Spellbane Centaur and Insist to name a couple), I just mean playing with cards that go against blue's style. Try playing with creatures that can cast as instants, (Simian Grunts baby!), or throwing in some colorless offense, (Phyrexian War Beast! WOOOOOOOO!). These are excellent ways to maindeck against blue without compromising the strength of your deck.

Taking a tourney with green stompy is much more fun than taking it with blue.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
For casual play, control-freak decks get real old real fast.
It's really no different from getting beat up by a bunch of creatures or having a combo go off. In fact, since most of my group plays beatdown, I sometimes go control just to throw them off.

S

Skyrider

I've just been making random lately. Trying to find something that seems fun to pass my interest. I think I'll get my group running anti-enchantment by throwing the pemmin's aura/channeler combo in a deck just because it's such a stupid/sick combo it's funny. I want to put together a deck with that combo, sliver overlord and a bunch of imagecrafters/mistform mutants just so I can change all of their creatures into slivers and steal them all.

For the one time in 50 that the deck will go off right, it'll be funny as hell to see.

T

train

what I find more fun than building blue decks is building anti-blue decks.
"Daisy, honey, Chalk up a point for Rooser... and bring me a lemonade please..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
A couple people in my group have the Aura but don't really want to use them because I used Morphling way back when against them and they gave me crap for it ("I can't deal with that!" "You first pumped power and then toughness? I'm confused..." ) So I guess that's one enchantment I won't have to worry about :)

T

train

Like "Gerrymandering"...

Now that makes for interesting games...;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the "understood" things are usually not mentioned until someone (usually me) actually plays them and the rest go "oh, we usually don't play with that, it causes problems". Like your number 1 card, Coat of Arms. Although I think I'm going to throw that in my dwarf deck and try it out again in MP... :)

T

train

Your dwarves will be much bigger than their name suggests if the Coat hits play and stays in play...;)

Spidey, shouldn't you be helping people, saving people and kittens, and the like, instead of hindering their playgroups of Magic?...

"Superheroes nowadays... I remember when they held down journalism jobs, and saved the world in between articles... none of this playing games business...":p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nah, the Avengers and the FF have it covered... at least during the day. My turn comes at night :)

S

Skyrider

That'll be something they won't expect. I'm just happy I haven't had to deal with the 3 mox diamond draws recently cause I haven't been playing with the Type 1 illegal crew.

B

BigBlue

Unless you are trying to stick to some format....

Shrieking Drake will do the same as Cavern Harpy, as would Man O' War.