Penumbra and DPO

• Thread starter FoundationOfRancor
  • Start date
F

FoundationOfRancor

Death Pit Offering
2BB, Enchantment, Nemesis Rare
When Death Pit Offering comes into play, sacrifice all creatures you control. Creatures you control get +2/+2.

Penumbra BobCat
2G
When this goes to a graveyard from play, put a 2/1 black cat token into play.

Now, I was thinking about a deck revolving around the Penumbra's, then using DPO to give all my creatures (Their Black now) +2+2. The obvious problem with DPO is that its an enchantment, and easy to kill. The Penumbra's dont stop that disadvantage, but they limit it, as the DPO doesnet quite leave you defensless anymore.

Maybe splash white for that WG enchantment that protects all other enchantments?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
If you want a nice, slow, defensive deck, splash white for the Sterling Grove. OR, if you want a nice, fast, agressive deck, splash red for Fires of Yavimaya.

Ransac, cpa trash man

M

Mikeymike

You can totally stick to B/G without splashing, the deck makes itself. The best way to milk DPO (hey I am a casual player I've got tons of experience with this card) is token and/or creature generation. Instead of 'X' 1/1s they are 3/3s.

Look at:
Life/Death - both sides are kind of broken in here.
Natural Affinity or Nature's Revolt
Squirrel Wrangler
Nemata, Grove Guardian

However, splashing white gives you access to:
Sterling Grove which you mentioned
Aura Mutation
Death or Glory (if you go the heavy creature route its pretty gnarly)
March of souls (hey look at that, my guys are all 3/3 flyers)

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

You can even use DPO without going into green (in Extended), by using Kormus Bell and maybe Carrion from Mirage, which reads:
Carrion
1BB
Instant
Sacrifice a creature: Put into play a number of black 0/1 Maggot creature tokens equal to the sacrificed creature's power.

T

Turtlewax Joe

dood idea but I play G/W not G/B, so I wouldn't know any supporting strategys. Sorry:(!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Mikeymike: I was also thinking that as a kinda of back-up theme, but you have alot of great ideas I didnt even think of! The main idea I had was Saproling Cluster, what do you think?

M

Mikeymike

The discard to Saproling Cluster does scare me. However at 1G with recursive token generation that could be ugly quickly. So maybe you could find a way to draw extra cards.

Howling Mine comes to mind, which if you decide to run you could also run Spontaneous Generation (which works very nicely with both the Mine and the DPO) and Persecute (to minimize on the effect of them drawing so many cards). But you are still letting your opponent draw.

Phyrexian Arena could work, but now you'll probably need lifegain backup. If you are running Chimeric Idols a good source of lifegain would be Well of Life.

Actually, Squee looks to be the strongest. Since you choose the discard you'll always benefit from the Cluster with him. Plus with the DPO out he is a recursible 3/3 for 2R, not bad.

Here is a deck with all of the ideas crammed into it

Creatures
4 BoP
4 Squee
4 Penumbra Bobcat
2 Nemata or Penumbra Wurm

Enchantments
4 DPO
4 Sap Cluster
4 Sterling Grove
2 or 3 Silver Bullets for the Grove

Spells
4 Life/Death
4 Spontaneous Generation
3 March of Souls

Pernicious Deed scares me against or included in this deck b/c your tokens and lands die at a zero activation cost.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

If you're scared of Deed, then DO NOT use Life/Death or anything that uses your lands, and try Symbiotic Deployment (activate it in response to them blowing up the Deed). It'll help negate some of the card disadvantage.
Or maybe include Goblin Bombardment or something to let you sac the creatures.

And I don't think you would want to go into four colors for something like that.