Pentavus

A

Arix

Pentavitus

Before I start, let's take a look at the card I'm using:Pentavus (grrr, damn lack of image tags)

As a hardcore Johnny, I love Pentavus. It doesn't do much in those seven lines of text, but if you know how, you can make it do so much more.

Let's take a look at the main thing - artifact creatures constantly coming into play and then dying. There must be so many ways we can use that, if for no other reason than "2: Get a 'whenever an artifact/creature comes into play' or 'whenever an artifact/creature is put into a graveyard' effect for free". There's plenty of stuff right there, but we want to make something good. I know one thing that we'll certainly like pairing with Penty. Dross Scorpion is another of the most combo-able cards from the same block. And it just so happens that the two work together perfectly.

Right now, I want to stick to artifacts so I don't have to commit to a certain colour. So, right now we have "2: Untap target artifact". Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Gilded Lotus is the perfect triplet for this family. We now have "2: Add as much mana as you want in any combination of colours to your mana pool". How convenient, all colourless artifacts, all from the same block, and all relatively cheap to obtain. We've got a combo giving us access to unlimited mana of any colour - and we haven't even got any colours yet.

Of course, with infinite mana, we'll need a way to spend it all. I find a certain legend from the same block would love to be here. And we still haven't commited to a colour, since we can play him with any colour and can get the mana for his ability from our little combo. If you want to be a little more creative, Crystal Shard can net you infinite 1/1 fliers with your combo, and can therefore also result in an infinitely large Pentavus.

Now, we've got some nice combo-ness going in there. But how to get it? We need some way to ensure we get the pieces, and some way to ensure we keep them in time to pull it off. Well, we already have blue for Memnarch, and guess what colour's best with artifacts? Some Fabricates and Thirst for Knowledges can help us find them, while Condescend can both protect it and look for it. Last Word, while expensive, does a good job in protecting the parts.

But it'll still take a while to get it out. Steel Wall gives us some early defence while Vedalken Engineer can get it off a little faster. An ideal play would be a turn 1 Wall, a turn 2 Engineer, a turn 3 Lotus and Scorpion, and a turn 4 Pentavus.

So, all in all, here's what I have with this Johnny dream card:

Code:
[CENTER][B]Pentavitus[/B] (Mirrodin block)
[U]Creatures[/U] (17)
2 Memnarch
3 Dross Scorpion
4 Steel Wall
4 Vedalken Engineer
4 Pentavus

[U]Spells[/U] (20)
2 Last Word
3 Crystal Shard
3 Thirst for Knowledge
4 Condescend
4 Fabricate
4 Gilded Lotus

[U]Lands[/U] (23)
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Seat of the Synod
15 Island[/CENTER]

D

DarthFerret

I have a deck that uses the pentavus along with triskellion and tetravus. It uses a Hell's Caretaker to power the deck. The basic premise is to put the pentavus and the tetravus in play, pull the counters off to make the critters...then the next turn trade them in (Hells caretaker ability) with others you have in the graveyard, that come into play with more counters. The goal is to rapidly build up a token army so fast....and since the tetravus and the pentavus neither one have limit written on the card as to how many tokens they can hold, you can eventually make them as big as you need to. (By moving more than the orignal amount of tokens onto them..Ever seen a 30/30 Tetravus?..scary huh?)

In the above deck, the trisellions are just used to keep the little weenie creatures from doing anything to me...

That is just one idea for ya there....provided you have a Hell's Caretaker or 2

A

Arix

and since the tetravus and the pentavus neither one have limit written on the card as to how many tokens they can hold, you can eventually make them as big as you need to. (By moving more than the orignal amount of tokens onto them..Ever seen a 30/30 Tetravus?..scary huh?)
That's why I have the Chard in there, for inifinite Pentavites and an infinitely large Pentavus.

I have one Caretaker, but don't want to include because
a) Want to keep this monoblue
b) Want to keep this Mirrodin block
c) I only have one.
But, like all SCS, this is just to give an idea of how it can be used. Feel free to modify it in any way you want.

M

mythosx

I know you want to keep it blue....but why hasn't anyone mentioned disciple of the vault...or did i miss it earlier....Disciple turns the pentavus into a direct damage machine.

J

jorael

Hmm.... B/W running Disciple of the Vault, Leonin Elder and Moriok Rigger.... Attrition, Moonlit Wake, Scrapheap, Gravepact (ugh), and probably much, much more interesting cards.

A

Arix

Oversoul said:
Pentavus + Goblin Welder + Mindslaver = opponent cries.
Problem there being I have 6 Mindslavers and no Welders.

But as I just said, and will again:
This is only an idea. As with all single card strategies, you can adapt it to however you please.

J

jorael

Limited said:
Step away from the Scrapheap. Keep those sleeves where I can see them..
What do you have against Scrapheap?!
Afraid I use my newly aqcuired playset for a lifegaining combo? :D

Hmmm.... that gives me an idea!

:eek:

R

Reverend Love

Go for the easy kills:

Blasting and Grinding Station. Victimize the tokens for additional fatties. Doubling Season? Tinker the Pentavites for something fat and expensive. Trash for Treasure is a respectable replacement for welders. Thunderstaff, its straight forward and easily pulled off. I like Thunderstaff, it's underrated.

Hmm Thunderstaff........

Hmm an idea for a don't hurt me deck. Very, very cowardly. Hiding behind a shmorgas board of artifacts and enchantments. I likey.

4 Thunderstaff
4 Urza's Armor
4 Force Bubble
4 Divine Presence
4 Sun Droplet

But the win has to be equally fruity…something like Test of Endurance using nothing but Fountains of Life and Tangleblooms. Splash blue, just enough to keep someone from Purify’ing or Pernicious Deeding your defenses away.

LAME DECK FOR THE WIN!