"Pawns" Storyline (sliver set)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Ok. Heres soem back up on stuff you should know

Caervin: An independant agent of yawgmoth (Im trying to stay away from the normal storyline as much as possible). She use to be good, but her family was slaughtered by phyrexians in her home plane, which we have never encountered before. Anyway, she became pretty much nothing but anger and hate after her family was killed. The phyrexians notice, and manipulate her to think Urza (or someone else) killed them. So she joins them as an independatn agent (with a group of lackeys of course) that goes from plane to plane looking for footsoliders for the coming invasion...which broguyht her to RiftWood.

Riftwood: The slivers home plane. Its jungely.

The Trium (Formally the sanct): Another kindom that inhabits Riftwood. They have a group of elite fighters called gunslingers. (Yes a total rip off of stephen king)

The CPA: an academy with very powerful mages:) that allies with the Trium against the slivers.

Ok....cool.
Well Caervin goes to RiftWood with her lackeyes and likes waht she sees. The slivers. As a test to determine there worth, she damages the Trium alot and blames it on the slivers. The Trium decide enough is enough, and go kill a sliver queen. This angers the slivers, and a war breaks out. Caervin, looking at the fighting, is slowly rembering things from her past life that the phyrexian transformation (and manipulation) has forgotten. Shes starting to turn good.

Thats all me and Whimsical have. How shoudl it end? Any suggestions?

D

Duel

Okay, here's some potential thoughts:

The CPA= The Certzan-Prion Academy. Composed of two races, who have been at peace with each other for thousands of years. Legend has it that, 2,300 years ago, when the Wars were still begin fought, a stranger arrived from another universe, and, seeing the carnage that they were inflicting on the land, decided to turn their main weapons, a race called Slivers, against them. It took the combined efforts of the two races' magical abilites to put a stop to their war machines and the stranger. The CPA finally creates a warding shield for their academy-city, Rion, and place the power for this in the center of the city. According to legend, that is.
Now, Caervin and her lackeys, hearing this legend, are determined to find the source of this shield. but the CPA is notoriously isolationist, and have resisted all of Caervin's attempts to enter. The Trium, meanwhile, has brought her in in good faith into their city where she, following Yawgmoth's example, now has agents under her control (gold cards!).
The slivers, meanwhile, have began, for the first time in 2,300 years, to seriously threaten the CPA. They have begun an assault at the weakening shield, and the academy has begun to renew the long-dead study of the manipulation and control of the slivers.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Duel! thanks man! We were thinking on some stuff to background the allies. Anybody wanna venture a story for another allie? Also, I would rather not even have phyrexian involvement, but just have Vin be like, free, or soemthing. But I can work it out.

That probablly didnt make sense. What I ment to say was im trying to get away from the base magic storyline...so I wanted to keep VIN, but give her another reason to be there...

D

Duel

You remember the Brothers' war? the one that devastated Argos? Use that. She was sent by her family away frmo that and was raised in exile. Searching for her home.

W

Whimsical

Tentative Set Name:
"Pawns" - mister Rancor sir proposed this as a set name to describe the general situation of the inhabitants of Riftwood

"Ambition" - my suggestion, though with the revisions to the story arc, it might not be as workable as when the main foozle was Bob the Evil Overfiend ... :D

Setting:
Riftwood - a vast primordial land with slivers being the top of the food chain (hence, found in every terrain possible). Usual gaggle of different locations (ranging from blasted wastelands ala Phyrexia to vast tracts of steaming jungles to howling deserts, etc.) to help accomodate the various colors of Magic. I'd imagine the heart of Riftwood would either be the Sliver Nest OR the Trium's Citadel of Tandoc. Thoughts?

Main Foozle:
Caervin the Defiler. Originated from the Fallen Empires story setting (since THIS story arc seems primarily set in the distant past of the Magic continuity), typical champion of good turned to the dark side <immediately kicks away the Darth Vader impersonators>. A possibility of how that particular event happened is that ole' Yawgie Bear (sorry, that's how I call the God of Phyrexia) forces Caervin into servitude by holding her family hostage. Corny, no?
Anyways, after Yawgie Bear sinks his claws into Caervin's soul, he sets her loose to wreak havoc among the planes. I'm thinking during the course of her travels (and many blasted worlds later), she comes across rumors of the sliver homeworld and gates her way there to bend them to Yawgie Bear's will. More info on this cool villainess babe as the story arc develops. :)

Foozle's Flunkies:
The Defilers. Though still rather vague in my mind right now, I'm working on the angle that they used to be Caervin's best friends (read: adventuring party) back in the happy days. Now they're just flunkies.

Factions in Riftwood:
Slivers. Duh.
The Trium, a group of artificer mages who're the descendants of the original mages who sealed away the slivers in this forgotten plane. They only have a fraction of the power of the original group and are struggling desperately to keep the slivers from breaking free of the barrier. Don't you love fighting a losing battle?
Other factions to be worked in as the votes pile in. I'm leaning on adding Wyrms, Thrulls, and Thallids myself.

Story Arc to be presented when my creative juices start working again. :)

Duel, while I find your storyline cool ... it goes against mister Rancor's idea that the Trium are the Keepers of Riftwood. The CPA is an informal alliance of powerful heroes who decide to align themselves with the Trium when they find out that the Defiler has come knocking. I know narcissism demands that the CPA be the main heroes here in the set ... but bear in mind that too much self-insertion in a story line tends to dilute author focus and objectivity. Let's keep the CPA in their original role as powerful allies instead, yah?

Gawd. I sound so ... so ... preachy. :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originated from the Fallen Empires story setting (since THIS story arc seems primarily set in the distant past of the Magic continuity),
I don't know if it makes a difference, but Fallen Empires happened at the same time as Ice Age. If that's what you meant by "distant past" then fugeddabudit. :)

W

Whimsical

I like fudge. A hot fudge sundae ... <drool, drool>

Seriously. Thanks, mister Spiderman sir! Never really did have a good backgrounder on the Magic continuity, considering I preferred the world of Rokugan over Dominaria. I'll keep that in mind when hammering out the storyline for this set.

Time to brush up on my Magickese...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Theres some stuff I think me and whimsical need to go over.
What I thought Caervin was like:

A woman who lived in the plane X (It doesenty matter) when phyrexian invaded that and killed her family, she escaped using an plane-shifting artifact and ran away. Having utter hatred toward the killer of her husband and children, she studies to be a powerful mage and fighter (Matrix moves anyone?). Anyway, shes a real bitch now and kills everything in her search for phyrexia.

Now, this is where the story can branch of into two things

A) Yawgmoth finds her and manipulates her to beleave phyrexians were trying to save her family, that it was dominara people who killed em. Anyway, she joins yawgmoth but she proves to be to headstrong for assimilation and/or a major post in phyrexia. So Yawgmoth puts a little device in her mind and sends her off to find footsoldiers for him and his invasion.
She goes to driftwood and finds the slivers. To test there worthiness for Yawg, she does a couple of things that convince the torium that the slviers are attacking them, they go to war with em. They slivers are powerful, so theyt need allies. Anyway, as caervin is watching the fighting, she remebers her family and relizes the phyrexian are her enemies.

If were gonna go this way, there are a couple of endings
A) she commits suicide
B) she dies trying to save them
C) another phyrexian agent shows up to take the slivers...she rebels and fights him, he gets his yawg backup, and they take driftwood, but caervin and a few people escape.

B) In her search for phyrexia, she finds the slivers. She wants to use them as soldiers in her big army agaisnt the phyrexians. But being the bitch she is (at this point) she pretends to be cool with the triuom while really shes testing the slviers to see how good they are.
Anyway, to "garud her and show her around the kingdom", she hires this rebel gunslinger, by the name of John Kane. As her and john kane are interacting, she relizes that this "test" is wrong and lets go of most of her anger. Anyway, she cant stop the slivers, there just pissed off now and killing everythiong. Meanwhile, phyrexians have found her and are coming after her, the slivers and yawg allie, and there coming to kill all that oppse them. Caervin holds them off (yawgmoth isnt with them...) while all the allies and stuff can escape through a portal.
The last thing we see is of John Kane lloking at her and then he's in another world and its all good.

If we ever make an expansion she can come back...

Anyway, I like plan B better, your thoughts?

D

Duel

I like B better too. But it's too easy to say she just "Lets go" of her anger. We need to give her an incident or a reason.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well the change would take a long time...but I agree an event should trigger it. But what?

D

Duel

Well, how does she control the slivers? I figure she needs some sort of mind contact with the sliver queen. So, it oculd be triggered by the sliver queen connecting with her. Or the Trium could find her, wounded, and take her into the Citadel, where the healing thingy could start.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Control the slivers? She doesent.
What she does
Fakes a couple of Truim massacres and blames it on the slivers. They go and manage to kill a queen, so the slivers take up the offenseive. War.

M

Multani

A lot has changed.
FoR: The sliver story is great!
So many interesting thoughts. It'd be nice if we could publish it.
Rancor, could you e-mail me a fairly detailed copy of the storyline so far?

Thanks! ;)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Okay...this is the story line so far.

*starts*

A woman named dawn lives in a plane called plour. Her family consits of a daughter and a husband. Plour has an incredibly rich supply of oil. Phyrexia invades it. An overlord passig by, we'll call him kreck, relizes Dawns potential. He captures her family anbd slaughters them in front of her. Kreck "accidently" gives her access to a planeshifting artifact and she escapes.

*meanwhile*

John Kain, in the world of RiftWood, is a gunslinger. A gunslinger is a very ancient term used to describe the kingdoms of Truim's most elite fighting group. The term is old, beause the slingers dont really sling guns, but swords. Anyway, Kain finds out that the leader of the gunslingers, Mcfain, is corrupt and is dealing in with a group of mercenaries. Kain tries to confront him but he is beaten back, and Mcfain spreads stuff about him so hes fired and is no longer a gunslinger. Now a rebel/gunslinger/mercenary, competeing with the same people he was trying to expose, he looks for an opputurnity for revenge.

*time passes*
Dawn comes back into the picture. Only now she calls herself caervin. Anger is the only thing shes known for a long time, anger and hate for the phyrexians. She goes from plane to plane searching for someone, something to help her battle yawgmoth and his world. In her travels, shes picked up formible fighting and magic skills. She kills everything in her path that she doesent find of value.

She finds her way into riftwood, and notices a normally docile creture called the slivers. She re;izes that these cretures can be her footsoliders in her planned war agaisnt phyrexia. So as a test to see if shes right about the slivers, she decides to stage a war between the slivers and the trium and there allies.

She hires a mercenary called John Kain, she says its for his expirieance ariund truim and for a gaurd. But her real reason is that she thinks that he could ber her second in command, and he reminds her of herself. She stages a couple of massacres, blaming it on teh slivers, and eventually, the trium find a kill a have queen. The slivers are pissed now and war breaks out.

As the fighting continues, and the interaction between Kain and caervin goes on, she starts to feel things other than anger. Like love. She relizes her mistakes after alot of charatcer depth, and tries to explain the whole thing

At that point the phyrexians catch up to her (they found her because they had a tracer on the planshift artifact she had). They are lead by kreck. He relizes what she did and why. He decides he want the slivers too. So he begins to steal them and kill everything else. After a couple of cool matrix fights tween caervin and kreck, caervin opens a portal to another plane and the truim and there allies escape...whil she hold off the phyrexians.

The last thing we know of is John Kain watching her fight Kreck as he goes throguh the portal...

Thats it!

F

FoundationOfRancor

*starts*

A woman named dawn lives in a plane called plour. Her family consits of a daughter and a husband. Plour has an incredibly rich supply of oil. Phyrexia invades it. An overlord passig by, we'll call him kreck, relizes Dawns potential. He captures her family anbd slaughters them in front of her. Kreck "accidently" gives her access to a planeshifting artifact and she escapes.

*meanwhile*

John Kain, in the world of RiftWood, is a gunslinger. A gunslinger is a very ancient term used to describe the kingdoms of Truim's most elite fighting group. The term is old, beause the slingers dont really sling guns, but swords. Anyway, Kain finds out that the leader of the gunslingers, Mcfain, is corrupt and is dealing in with a group of mercenaries. Kain tries to confront him but he is beaten back, and Mcfain spreads stuff about him so hes fired and is no longer a gunslinger. Now a rebel/gunslinger/mercenary, competeing with the same people he was trying to expose, he looks for an opputurnity for revenge.

*time passes*
Dawn comes back into the picture. Only now she calls herself caervin. Anger is the only thing shes known for a long time, anger and hate for the phyrexians. She goes from plane to plane searching for someone, something to help her battle yawgmoth and his world. In her travels, shes picked up formible fighting and magic skills. She kills everything in her path that she doesent find of value.

She finds her way into riftwood, and notices a normally docile creture called the slivers. She re;izes that these cretures can be her footsoliders in her planned war agaisnt phyrexia. So as a test to see if shes right about the slivers, she decides to stage a war between the slivers and the trium and there allies.

She hires a mercenary called John Kain, she says its for his expirieance ariund truim and for a gaurd. But her real reason is that she thinks that he could ber her second in command, and he reminds her of herself. She stages a couple of massacres, blaming it on teh slivers, and eventually, the trium find a kill a have queen. The slivers are pissed now and war breaks out.

As the fighting continues, and the interaction between Kain and caervin goes on, she starts to feel things other than anger. Like love. She relizes her mistakes after alot of charatcer depth, and tries to explain the whole thing

At that point the phyrexians catch up to her (they found her because they had a tracer on the planshift artifact she had). They are lead by kreck. He relizes what she did and why. He decides he want the slivers too. So he begins to steal them and kill everything else.

*Meanwhile in the whole story*
Courtney Meyer has been watching the whole incident. She's obsossed about the slivers and has spent her life studing them. Crazed about an idea that humans and all cretuess would develop better if they shared there thoughts and abilties, she has spent her life in riftwood creating an artifact to do such a thing.

*back*
As the Truim and slivers battle on the final battle, the phyrexians wade in and start killin everything except a few choice slivers. Kain and dawn watch helplessly. Juliet activates her artifact, that she calls the web. It gains control of everything, including John and Dawn. There all driven mad by hsaring one anothers thoughts. AS a last thought, dawn cretes a portal and throws kain through it. Shes too weak to go through it herself and it collapses.

*last thing*
The last thing we see is John's veiw of Dawn, cluthing her temples, screaming. Then he's in another world.

THE END!
Waht do you guys think now!?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Just so you guys know, courtney *NOW SUSAN* will be in the story from the beggining. She jsut doesent interact with the characters untill near the end.

A

Almindhra

Could you do something really neato with the story?...All of us CPA members would like to be in the story...( I know I'm speaking for all of you people out there, but don't you agree? )...Can't you put our names in there?...Would it interfere with something?...I know the CPAers would feel warm and tingly in their hearts if their names were mentioned and a bit of their own personality were in there...Even if you had to use names not exclusive to the CPA guild, or whatever that thingy is, but as some other characters...Yes?...No?...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Theres probablly gonna be a point were you go through and meet all or most of the main memebers of the CPA, an alliance of mercenarys that Kain may be involved with that is hired to serve truim in the war.

M

Multani

I would like to be in the story.
If you can't get Multani's spirit in the story,
put me as an incarcenation as Tree Lord. :D