Partnership with MOTL? Please read...

N

nekrataal

I was recently in touch with the founder of the Magic Online Trading League and I brought up the idea of a cross sponsership with his organization. He has brought up the idea of giving us space on his UBB, which is_not_a crappy freeware version like this. His organization is 2,000+ strong and mainly casual players like ourselves. I can only see us benefiting from some sort of a partnership here. This is what he had to say....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would be more than happy to some sort of cross-sponsorship with the CPA as
I too am a casual player (I don't have much time for serious play, what with
running MOTL). I'm not sure what you have set up in the way of a bulletin
board, but I'd be more than willing to set up space in terms of a forum or
category for the CPA on MOTL's Bulletin Board, if you'd like. There are over
2,300 users on MOTL, and I'm sure a good number of them would be interested
in the CPA. Please let me know when you get the site set up, as I'd really
like to check it out. I look forward to talking to you again in the future.

--------
Eddie Holman (a.k.a. Leshrac)
leshrac@motl.interspeed.net
Founder, Owner - Magic Online Trading League (MOTL)
http://motl.interspeed.net
ICQ#: 1692481

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not totally sure how New Wave would feel about something like this, but I can see them accepting it. We would be introducing 2,000+ members of MOTL to their business.

Leave thoughts and comments on this, I think it is a great idea...

Ferret

Staff member
I like the idea, but I don't want to get caught in a conflict of interest w/ New Wave... the cash has already been laid out and we are more or less committed to this - well, at least I am...

I guess my patience is starting to wear thin... I know New Wave is very busy, but if they would just help us get the site up we probably won't need them that much...

{sigh} any news would be welcome at this point...

-ferret

"2,300 new members? wow!"

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
On a personal level, I don't see any problems with hooking up with the MOTL. But from a business standpoint, I wouldn't be sure if Mr Doust would like it. I mean, he is investing a large amount of money ($100+ so far) in us, so I think he'd want to have universal rights. (...Ok, that didn't sound right, but I think you get my drift...) Hey, but if Doust doesn't want to hook up with them, we could at least get a link exchange going.

As for the site, Tony talk to us. Have you e-mailed him? How long ago? Have you tried again? Got his phone number? :).. *sigh* I remember back on like August 20th when we were ready to be hosted. And now it's the 6th. :)

And I definately understand how Ferret is financially committed. :) Thanks again for that man.

-mike
"The 6th. Jeez, I'm down to like 32 hours before I officially start school. *shudder*"

Ferret

Staff member
I think that New Wave probably wouldn't mind because 2,000 new members w/ us could mean 2,000 new potential customers for him - it seems like a pretty sound business decision...

...all the same, in Doust's defense, I think they were running the team tourney in DC and that probably took up a lot of their time... but, can't they just give us a liaison or something?

...I think we're all starting to lose it and we have other things to worry about. Mike and Jimmy are about to start school soon and that's going to give them enough stress as it is. I've got a few issues of my own to deal with and we have people all set to submit articles, but many of them are forced to wait since they don't know it we'll be able to publish them...

...I feel like I'm back in the military: everything's hurry up and wait...

-ferret

"...didn't mean to dwell on the money - I don't miss it. I know I'll get it back...just needed to vent about something before I totally crack up..."

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
(This feels kinda like an IRC channel. I mean, look how quickly there are responses. :) )

MOTL: I guess your right in that he'd be getting more hits with a connection to the MOTL. More hits=more banner $$$. I'd just feel a little weird having a BBS on a completely different site.

PT DC: I believe your right Ferret. But, to my knowledge, we (Tony) e-mailed Mr Doust a little before the PT. I'm not sure though. I'm just anxious to work on the site some.

School: Even though I won't be here at all during the day, I will be generally fffffrrrrreeeeeeeee [ :) ] after about 3:30. But that all depends on work load. I've got 2 honors classes this year and I don't know how much harder they'll be from my regular classes. We'll see, but don't worry, I'll still be here.

Articles: To anyone that is considering sending articles but hasn't: send 'em to the email address (casual_players_alliance@hotmail.com). I have about 10 articles other than Ferret's and Baron's waiting to be posted. I'll be posting 1 or 2 daily for the 1st week at least... that is whenever we get the site officially up. But please keep sending them. That way I can post a few each day for a longer time.

And another thing about articles: Has anyone considered writing an article about the new B/R lists and format changes? From a casual players point of view? In other words not "Being that we lose HtT, Pox will take a major hit. The loss of Bolt will slow down Sligh a little and hurt Jank. WW may be a better choice. And Y-Tide is dead. So rethink that metagame."
Maybe you could focus on the creative (read: fun) cards that we lose? I don't think I'd have time to write it now, so feel free anyone...

-mike
"I didn't mean to linger on it either. I just found the '..At least I am' comment amusing."

Ferret

Staff member
I don't think I could write an article about the new B/R list or the format changes because in groups I've played in we didn't really follow the DCI's lists. We had some cards that we considered to be "restricted" as a courtesy - most of the ones from the list at the time and we found the use of combo decks to be "cheesy". The use of them was often frowned upon unless they were somehow cool to lose to...

-ferret

"...and direct damage to players was ALWAYS frowned upon..."