Our Mission Statement - Ratification proposition

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Pursuant to the reply thread attached to Gizmo's article this week, by Dune Echo's request I am throwing the floor open for discussion of our Mission Statement.

For those of you who aren't familiar with that particular document, it can be found at http://www.magic-singles.com/cpa/mission.shtml

The question has been raised that perhaps the Mission Statement is no longer a valid representation of our membership's true feelings concerning this great game, and that as such it should be modified to more accurately reflect the true feelings of the members of this group.

In response to this, I propose the following: That we should use this as a forum to discuss the validity of the Mission Statement, and that we should put it to a vote in the Voting Booth to either A) Ratify the Statement, or B) Open a discussion on what kinds of modifications should be made to the document.

This is probably the single most important topic we will ever vote for here, so I urge you all to please read it carefully, and to participate in the vote. This will determine once and for all the direction we will take with this site, and we really need everyone's input on this.

Thank you.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
oh boy, first to reply...

Well, my feelings really haven't changed since I was asked to be a Founder back when this concept was on the Dojo boards. I feel that WOTC really hasn't been hurting the game with its bannings/errata, new rule editions, cards, etc. Of course, playtesting does seem to be lacking in some areas and that's unfortunate in that cards "stretched so thin to the point of breaking" get printed when the slot could go to something else, but oberall, I have no problem with the company and as such, don't really mind if the mission statement is changed or not. I'll still participate in the voting (since it's just a fun thing to do) if CPA does decide to go in that direction, but I come here mainly for the chatter like most everyone else.

D

Dune Echo

First Part:
"This group was formed by individuals who, while we may not agree on all issues, are tired of the apparent disregard WotC and the DCI seems to have for us. It is time our voices were heard. It is time WotC stood up and took notice of us, the people who may not play on the pro tour. The bulk of the people who buy their product. The people who pay for their paychecks. In short, it is time to organize."

I approve this.

"WotC does not seem to be listening to us. WotC does not seem to care about our opinions. Whether or not this is really the case, they do not seem to be hearing our voices."

I think this needs to be revised a little. I feel that Wizards is listening to us, and while I did support the Dark Ritual banning, I didn't like the way Waylay was handled.

"The CPA is not a dictatorship. You are free to agree or disagree with me or any other member at any time on any subject. You are not restricted in any way. The only difference is that you belong to something that may be able to get your opinions heard. If we get enough people, WotC will notice.

"How many people do you know of that play magic? If a fraction of us rally together and speak with one voice, we'll stand a good chance of getting someone's attention. We all need to be heard. Together we can accomplish that. We need your help. If we get enough friends to rally behind, we're bound to get WotC's attention.

"Again, The Casual Players Alliance is a purely democratic group. No one's opinion will go unrecognized and no one will have their voice stifled no matter how contrary to the majority their opinion may be."

I agree with these statements too. But I think we've got WotC's attention. I know Elaine F. lurks around here sometimes. I think we need to improve our presentation to them however for them to take us more seriously as a group.

G

Gryphonclaw

I come here for two reasons, chatter and opinions.

I like to 'discuss' ideas and concepts about magic with other people who feel the same way that I do and I like to find out other peoples opinions on various subjects.

I think that the mission statement could be revised, but I don't think that it needs to be.
Mostly just a little cutting could make it more current.

As for presentation, I think that some possible topics that have been discussed in the CPA issues threads could be put up in a petition format, maybe something like the voting booth.

M

Mordecai

I approve quite thoroughly of the Mission Statement. It sets up who we are--a group of casual players who actually want casual play to have an impact on what's done with the game. We're a friendly, open, democratic organization.

The only problem I can see is that some people see this as the goal of ALL we are to be. In fact, though, we are a social group. We are a fun group. Our SOLE purpose is not to bring our voices to WotC. One other purpose is to provide an internet home to casual players. One other purpose is to help each other become better players.

There is so much that the CPA could become that it would be foolish to limit ourselves to only what is in the mission statement. However, the goals stated in the mission statement are admirable and should be sought.

Mordecai the Destroyer

I

Istanbul

OUR NEW MISSION STATEMENT

1. We will lobby Wizards of the Coast to remove blue and add magenta as the fifth Magic color.
2. We will seek and destroy all copies of Pale Moon.
3. We will encourage the sideboarding of basic lands.
4. We will play City of Brass during our first turn, tap it to play Fastbond, play Karplusan Forest and Brushland, and play Wild Dogs and Ghazban Ogre.

T

The Magic Jackal

Tag Guard

[me]The Magic Jackal cast pack hunt on thorn elemental, then uses 3 elvish pipers to bring all into play.[/me]

Go get 'em boys! too bad rancor, your dead!

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

If it makes you feel any better, you were killed by the best :)

B

Baron Sengir

Basically, I agree with Dune Echo and Mordecai.

I think the CPA mission statement holds up but it could use a few tweaks here and there. I am not in favor of abandoning it.

If you would like, I would be happy to revise it and get another copy to you guys for approval. I will post something so you can tell me what changes we think should be made (if any)

I remain
The Baron
Anyone else here play the Star Wars CCG? If not, you should ...

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD
Multani- No one has or will have the chance :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But I don't know that Elaine Ferrao lurking on the boards occasionally constitutes WotC listening to us. By her own admission, on another thread on another board, she's DCI, not R&D, and as such is limited to what her group is directly involved with. This would preclude her acting as a liaison between us with reference to, say, what we think they should look at as far as the Reprint policy, or card set contents, for example.

Seriously though, do you really think we've had any influence on WotC so far? We all know card sets are made up at least a year prior to their release, so there's no way they toned down MM/NE, and added in some good multi-player cards, just to please us. We haven't been around all that long. Is there another way they've shown some response to our rantings (because, of course, that's all we've given them up until now)? Did I maybe miss something?

Please let me know if I did.

And yet, for all that, I have to admit, the language you speak of in the Mission Statement is a little strong. It was a reflection, I believe, of how we all felt back then, when we were mad about the Waylay ruling. Since that issue is really water under the bridge we've calmed down a bit, and found out we've got a really terrific place here to come and hang out.

But our need for input into decisions concerning this game hasn't changed. And I believe any changes made to the Mission Statement need to reflect that. Dune Echo has the right of it when he said that we need to improve our presentation to WotC for them to take us seriously. I believe steps have been taken to do so, and that if we continue on our present course, that of polling our membership concerning issues and then forwarding the results to them in a formal letter, we will be fulfilling the goal intended by our Mission Statement.

If you want to add a line or two about this being the Premier online site for casual chat about Magic, and that, above all, we're striving to keep the game as fun as possible for everyone, I'd have no objections. In fact, I think that's a really good idea.

Go for it! :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tag Guard

TomB: I seriously doubt the CPA has had any effect on WOTC. As I've said before (or at least at the time), 200+ members is merely attendence at one or two pre-releases, less than that if you count active members. Compared to the many thousands DCI numbers out there, we might get a "oh, what are those guys up to now" but not a "let's check with CPA and be sure that they're happy".

The language might be strong but what also needs to be determined is intent. If the voting indicates that the CPA is not interested in contacting WOTC then it could be taken out altogether.

So what's the tally so far? I count

1 who doesn't care if it's changed :)

6 who generally agree with the mission statement

of those 6:

3 think there should be slight wording changes (toning it down?)

2 think something about the "atmosphere" should be added

and 1 thinks it's fine the way it is.

G

Gizmo

- To defend the interests of casual players of Magic:The Gathering wherever they are threatened.
- To provide a forum for the casual players of Magic:The Gathering. This forum will be a place where casual players can exchange ideas and information about the game, and thus provide a coherent voice for their opinions on the state of the game.
- To support and promote the opinions of casual players with the intention of ensuring that decisions which affect the future of Magic:The Gathering will take those opinions into account.

D

Dune Echo

I really like the wording on those Giz. Are you sure you're a pro? :p