Order of the Pheonix

E

EricBess

Just curious how many people here are Harry Potter fans...I'm roughly halfway through the Order of the Pheonix myself. Very enjoyable so far.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Did a search and hard to believe Harry Potter doesn't have its own thread here but...

we bought the book but haven't gotten to it yet. I also got the Hel's Crucible Duology by Dennis McKiernan and have been working on those first...

D

DÛke

I don't understand the Harry Potter phenomena...

Never read those books; never went to those movies...

N

Nightstalkers

Its so cute to watch a bunch of kids run around, dressing up like fantastic characters, and acting like a giant cult :D

Ah, the good 'ol days of the Nightstalkers

Z

Zhaneel

I'm a fan, that's probably not hard to guess. Just finished the book last night, loved it, can't wait for the next one, and

SPOILER!!

wish he hadn't died.

Z

Zero T Katama

SPOILER!

Zhaneel has her facts wrong. Potter doesn't die. Oh, and the book is fantastic!

N

Nightstalkers

SPOILER!

Zhaneel! you had me going about, screaming through the streets, and praising the lord that Hairy Potter is dead!

Oh well, the neighbors thought I was a drug lord anyways...

O

orgg

I'm waiting for the SFBC to get the more cost-effective version out, but I loved the first four...

I'm still amazed that a decent fantasy series that originally was not specifically for children has become associated with the younger crowd...

SPOILER!

I'd think Potter tied to a tombstone, bleeding to death, as Voldemort stands over him about to sacrifice Harry to himself would be a hint that it wasn't intended to be a kid's story.

As for the movies, I say they plain and simply SUCK BUTTOX compared to the books. There is NO way to compare them. If the movie was as long as Lord of the Rings and had that amout of detail translated from the book to the screen, it could've been awesome... but as is, it was a failure.

If you like fantasy, definatly check out Harry Potter... but avoid the movies and tie-ins.

A

Apollo

Does anybody else agree with theorgg? I saw both moves and they were both pretty bad, so I never checked out the books. But if you guys think the books are much better, maybe I'll take a look...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here is a tip when discussing books/movies/whatever that people haven't read/seen yet. Put a SPOILER alert in your post and scroll down so people can't read them inadvertantly. I edited Zhaneel's and orgg's posts.

While I saw the first movie and thought it was okay, the books are definitely better. The world is richer and words convey/inspire the imagination so much more than what a movie can do. I would definitely recommend reading the books.

DUke: If you haven't read the books, then of course you're not going to understand the phenom (well, you could in a detached/overview sort of way, but it's harder) :)

D

DÛke

What I meant was I don't understand the "hype" I guess. Sure, I am not at all in touch with the phenomena, but...I do watch the news - a book release with that long of a wait line, with such a heated anticipation? The series is obviously one of two things: either amazingly fascinating, or amazingly generic that it attracts the multitudes. So I guess my question should be: is it really that good? Now, I'm not a Lord of the Rings (hated the movies) or Harry Potter or "fantasy" type of person (except for Magic and mostly due to the game's depth), so I wouldn't know what good and bad are here...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I think the books are that good. Aside from the fact that they appeal to youngsters because they can identify with the protagonists, the books just have a lot of good stuff: good characters, magic, intrigue, mystery, and the unexpected.

E

EricBess

I agree. If you don't like that sort of thing, Duke, you probably won't enjoy these books, but there is much more than just the fantasy element. Ultimately, there is a set of characters that interact with each other and deal with having to grow up and learn how to deal with other people. And, since they are young, they are often not involved in "adult" discussions about what is going on in the world. Of course, there are occasionally other reasons they are left out of the loop....

Spoiler - Highlight

I don't think Zhaneel is talking about Harry. I think I know who it is, but I won't finish the book until tomorrow at the earliest

Z

Zhaneel

Y'all got me wrong...well, except EricBess.

spoiler?

I meant 'he' as in the character who died, not Harry. I'm not that dumb.

Ferret

Staff member
Until a few years ago, I agreed w/ DUke - thankfully, I decided to actually look into the topic before ranting about something that I didn't have a clue about...

When the books first came out (well, actually around the time the third book was published) I was droning on and on about how I hated the hype going on w/ the series. It was just so silly...then, my wife read up on the books and showed me that the books actually showed Magic and Witchcraft in a good light for a change in a popular book series. Kids were eating it up and now, when they hear someone referred to as a witch they won't just get the image of Fairuza Balk in "The Craft" but can now think of Hermione Granger in the various Potter novels. It's a good thing.

Shortly after seeing the first movie (on DvD), I devoured the First, Third, and Fourth novels (I wanted to see the second movie before reading the book). I hadn't read anything this good since I read "Mists of Avalon"...

-Ferret

"Before you criticize the hype, find out what the hype is actually ABOUT"

D

DÛke

I didn't criticize anything here. I did say I'm not a fantasy person, so...even if the books are very imaginative and taseful, I wouldn't bother. I just wanted to know if the books are actually "that" good, to answer my curiosity after seeing the news concerning the new book. Spiderman and Eric say they are. I'm satisfied. I try to avoid fantasy.
Eric:

And, since they are young, they are often not involved in "adult" discussions about what is going on in the world. Of course, there are occasionally other reasons they are left out of the loop....\
Sounds nice. Maybe when I'm 60 or 70...:)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
SPOILER!!!!!

I ate Raisin Bran Crunch for breakfast today and have never read the Harry Potter books(nor do I wish to).

Ransac, cpa trash man