Ooohh, I can't wait...

T

Troll

These were just revealed at Starcitygames.com Mirrodin tracking center. These aren't official so they may change some. I can't wait to have 4 of each in my multiplayer decks.

Fatespinner
1UU
Creature-Human Wizard
Rare (of course!:p !)
At the beginning of each players upkeep, that player chooses Draw step, main phase, or combat phase. That player skips each instance of the chosen phase or step this turn.
1/2

Thought Prison(?)
Artifact (U)
Imprint-When Thought Prison comes into play, you may reveal target player's hand. If you do, choose a non-land card and remove it from the game.
Whenever a player plays a spell of the same color or with a converted mana cost equal to the imprinted card, Though Prison deals 2 damage to him or her.

If you need the link, here it is: www.starcitygames.com/php/news/print.php?Article=4862

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

As the combat phase is PART of the main phase, Fatespinner is either completely made up or very different from that (at least in wording). It just seems like a card that's designed to be weird... I'm glad they're putting more of those in blue now, but I don't think I'd use it.

Thought prison was already at mtgnews.

Still, Mirrodin looks very interesting.

R

Reverend Love

Thought Prison looks a little overpowering right now. I doubt it'll make it in the form described if at all.

N

Nightstalkers

Come now, Thought Prison...

Its an evil version of Megrim.

T

train

Actually combat is it's own phase...

They are:

Beginning - Steps are untap, upkeep, and draw
1st Main - no steps
Combat - steps are - declare attackers, declare blockers, damage assignment, damage dealing, and end of combat
2nd Main - no steps
End - end of turn, cleanup steps

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Thallid Ice Cream Man
As the combat phase is PART of the main phase, Fatespinner is either completely made up or very different from that (at least in wording). It just seems like a card that's designed to be weird... I'm glad they're putting more of those in blue now, but I don't think I'd use it.

Like Sefro already stated, Combat is a phase. If you check over the rules, you'll find that it is composed of different steps.

A

Apollo

Right--it used to be part of the main phase, but isn't anymore.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Oh, right, I got the old rules and the new rules mixed up. :rolleyes:.

T

train

Not a prob...

The judges I was testing under still use the word Fizzle!...

It's just cool to say...

Fizzle!...:D

K

Killerbob

I dont play T2, so maybe I´m wrong, but I cant see which kind of deck could benefit from thought prison. It looks black, but 5 mana is very much for a "discard 1" spell which deals some damage (even to you) now and then.

Isnt draw part of upkeep anymore?

T

train

Technically - draw was never part of upkeep...

In older times there were 7 phases...

Untap, upkeep, draw, main, combat(sub-phase), discard, and end of turn(cleanup)...

In newer rules, the untap, upkeep, and draw are all steps in the beginning phase...

And thought prison could benefit any deck... White now has direct damage to a player as do green and blue... if your opponent is running an elf deck - then you choose a 1 or 2 cc card... goblins ditto...
-It also opens up control for decks that are not blue...

K

Killerbob

And thought prison could benefit any deck... White now has direct damage to a player as do green and blue... if your opponent is running an elf deck - then you choose a 1 or 2 cc card... goblins ditto...
I dont agree. Have you ever seen a white or blue deck running cursed scroll? Or armageddon clock :) They dont need direct damage, because this is not their strategy. And a 5cc artifact cant be a thread to elves or goblins. WW and elves might benefit from it, but they must have better things to do with 5 mana.

T

train

Have you ever seen a white or blue deck running cursed scroll?
Actually yes...

It was run in a meddling mage deck in extended... It's cruel to let them see the counterspell, and pop them for damage while doing so...

But there's no reason it could not be utilized in W/U - has no one in your area thought of it before?...

A

Apollo

Peace of Crap was a W/R deck back in the day a little bit that ran Cursed Scroll. It had Peace of Mind, Ensnaring Bridge, Cursed Scroll, Shard Phoenix, and a fair amount of utility and stuff. It was really good against beatdown decks because Phoenix and Bridge both pretty much stopped assaults and the Peace of Mind brought your life back. It would kill you in the end by Scrolling you several turns in a row.

R

Rooser

Wow, that Fatespinner is hella interesting. I gotta give WOTC style points for that one.

R

Reverend Love

I'm not sure Thought Prison would be play worthy for serious type 2 being that 5 mana is fairly high and difficult to produce quickly.

However for casual players we could do some serious pain delevering with this card. Combined with Dark Rituals and Washouts I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to build something degenerate.

N

Notepad

I see Fatespinner being high priced for a while, then dropping fast. It will not be good enough to be too useful, unless you run into opponents who desperately need every single one of their phases. And honestly, this is a neat trick, like Phage, but in the end will flatten out as a crap rare.

T

train

I'm not sure Thought Prison would be play worthy for serious type 2 being that 5 mana is fairly high and difficult to produce quickly.
I'll agree - unless the moxen get reprinted as has been speculated... If they do - it's 2 worthy...

L

Lotus Mox

What do you think about this:

Oblivion Stone 3 Artifact
4, T: Put a fate counter on target permanent.
5, T, Sacrifice Oblivion Stone: Destroy each nonland permanent without a fate counter on it, then remove all fate counters from all permanents.

:eek: a new disk, and it even saves your best stuff, scary...