OnBC: Beasts

R

Rakamir

Osyp suggests replacing the Barkhide Maulers in the pre-Scourge version with Silvos', if you intend to attend Origins this weekend. I'd say Feral Throwbacks, but I'm not Osyp.

Spearmint Von Sweatpants

R

Rakamir

You know what's funny, train? Beasts is so good, it may not even NEED Krosan Warchief. How sick is that?

Here for example, is the POST-Scourge May 17th e-league deck that won that championship. It's POST-Scourge Beasts, and note the lack of Warchief:

Creatures:
4 Ravenous Baloth
4 Avarax
4 Tephraderm
4 Canopy Crawler
4 Thoughtbound Primoc
4 Wirewood Elf
4 Krosan Tusker

Spells:
2 Stabilizer
4 Shock

Lands:
3 Forgotten Cave
4 Tranquil Thicket
4 Contested Cliffs
4 Wooded Foothills
5 Mountain
6 Forest

Sideboard:
4 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Broodhatch Nantuko
3 Wirewood Savage
3 Threaten
1 Stabilizer

The 2nd e-league tourney on June 14, however, was dominated by Slide. A Beasts deck DID quarterfinal, however, WITH the green 'Chief. It's this:

4 Wirewood Elf
4 Avarax
4 Ravenous Baloth
3 Tephraderm
3 Thoughtbound Primoc
2 Feral Throwback
4 Canopy Crawler
4 Krosan Warchief

Spells:
2 Starstorm
4 Shock

Lands:
4 Contested Cliffs
4 Wooded Foothills
7 Forest
7 Mountain
4 Tranquil Thicket

Sideboard:
4 Wirewood Savage
2 Starstorm
3 Naturalize
2 Decree of Annihilation
4 Gempalm Incinerator

All recent e-league decks from that tourney can be found by clicking here:

http://www.starcitygames.com/deckda...tType=&Expansion=SCO&Title=&Location=E-league

T

train

Looking at the decks for R/G beasts... what do they do once the beasts are in the gy...

Bidding seems to be the stronger play here...

I also noticed Stabilizer base deck - but the slide decks still landed above the beast deck...

I didn't notice a R/W control deck;) - maybe I'll have the surprise tech going into the tourneys...;) :cool:

R

Rakamir

I’m posting this under both “OnBC: Beasts” and “OnBC: Goblins,” so kindly post thoughts re each build under the appropriate thread, if you’d be so kind. Thanks.

Before I even begin testing what will probably be the most common match-up at the PTQ’s not named “mirror,” I’d appreciate feedback on these decks, their boards, what I’m putting in, and what I’m taking out of the main decks. Thanks in advance. If you decide to make changes, I’d appreciate knowing what you’d remove for what you'd put in, and why. “It’s easy to criticize, harder to improve.”

BEASTS
Berkowitz/Bright/Me

4 Shock
4 Wirewood Elf
4 Krosan Warchief
4 Thoughtbound Primoc
4 Canopy Crawler
4 Ravenous Baloth
4 Tephraderm
4 Avarax
3 Feral Throwback
4 Contested Cliffs
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Tranquil Thicket
3 Forgotten Cove
5 Mountain
5 Forest
Board
3 Wirewood Savage
4 Naturalize
4 Broodhatch Nantuko
4 Gempalm Incinerator

SUBS vs. Goblins:
-3 Feral Throwback -1 Avarax -4 Wirewood Elf
+4 Gempalm Incinerator +4 Broodhatch Nantuko

GOBLINS
Walamies/Peppermint/Osyp/Me

4 Shock
4 Skirk Prospector
4 Goblin Sledder
4 Goblin Piledriver
4 Sparksmith
4 Gempalm Incinerator
4 Goblin Warchief
4 Goblin Goon
4 Siege-Gang Commander
4 Goblin Burrows
2 Forgotten Cave
18 Mountain
Board
4 Threaten
2 Rorix Bladewing
2 Clickslither
4 Sulfuric Vortex
3 Stabilizer

SUBS vs. Beasts
-4 Gempalm Incinerator
+4 Threaten

T

train

I'd board some Lightning Rifts... and Aether Charges... That way if they slide out your beasts you smack them... HARD!...

Against other beasts... Vitality charms... - This guarantees you the "edge" vs. another beasts... instead of trading creatures - you keep yours...

And Starstorms wouldn't hurt... vs. gobbos... your beasts live, goblins die...

Also - Sulfuric Vortex could give you the edge vs. slide... no life gain = 3/4 flying blocker...(null Exalted Angel...) and beast... Ravenous now just stares at you, as sac-ing a beast yields nothing...

That's train's mad-tech!...

As for what goes out for some of this - depends on your personal play style... you're running it, not me... but I hope my insights help...

R

Rakamir

The sideboard is the same as Venice's. The thing is, it's pretty tight.
Savages for mirror
Naturalize for Slide
Broodhatches and Incinerators for Goblins

I like all your ideas, but what to take out of the board?

Silvos may actually be better in the Mirror than Savages, but I'd probably have to add Tuskers back in to make casting them viable. And maybe not. I have Ferals main, and life without Tusker ain't bad.

R

Rakamir

There also seems to be some discussion as to whether Broodhatchs should come in vs Goblins, as they have ways around that card. I wouldn't take it out of the board however, as it's great vs Zombies.

Wade Wojcak, inventor of the name "Teen Girl Squad," has an article up at TOGIT re Goblins and her matchups. He seems to feel the match favors Goblins before AND AFTER boarding .... unless a Cliffs hits play. :) Here's the link:

http://www.togit.com/reports/WW_June03Week4.html

R

Rakamir

No backing? What does that mean?
??
Starstorm has been mentioned as a possible maindeck card.
Broodhatches are gold vs Zombies, less spectacular vs Goblins.
We'll see.

T

train

No backing? What does that mean?
The sideboard is the same as Venice's. The thing is, it's pretty tight.
Savages for mirror
Naturalize for Slide
Broodhatches and Incinerators for Goblins

I like all your ideas, but what to take out of the board?
For your sideboard... you listed cards from it with backing... but none for the Incinerators... the incinerators do what... I understand what the broodhatches do...

;)

R

Rakamir

I still do not know what "backing" means. Must be a Texas term. :eek:

The Gempalm Incinerators are for Goblins. Btw, did you check out my analysis of your RW Not-Slide today?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think train means "justification" - "why are the Incinerators in the sideboard for the Goblins" in other words.

R

Rakamir

"As e're it were at Lido Isle, as ever e're it shall be..."
... Wm. Shakepeare

OK, Shakespeare didn't really write that, but had he done so, he would have been a great prognosicator, meaning, just as at Venice, Goblins crushed Beasts game one and vice versa games 2 and 3.

Game 1: Beasts never found a green mana source, and Goblins "goldfished" in 6 turns. It was indecent.

Game 2: Keeping a one land hand (with Skirk Prospector), Goblins got in some heavy early damage, but Beasts got the Baloth down, and Thoughtbound Primoc (Zvi is wrong, Bright is right - keep the Primoc, lose the Tusker) and especially Cliffs. The boarded Incinerators worked great. Take THAT Piledriver, and I'll draw more beasts as well. Broodhatches were more of an annoyance to Gobbos, but helped keep Goons from atacking or blocking. Cliffs were only used once to kill something, and could have been used more, but keeping toe-to-toe with Gobbos on critters to nullify Goon took priority. It was sick, the way Beasts could toy with the deck post-boarding. I am convinced now that a less-than-optimal Beasts build with play errors can win PTQ's, the deck is so strong.
In Goblin's defense, after a tight opening hand, the deck drew into more lands that it wanted. Gobbos rarely get mana-screwed, but mana flood sometimes come to call on us all. Ya'll.

Game 3 - Mana-screw for Gobbos. Not a good thing. Stuck at four lands, Seige-Gang Commanders are much less effective in hand than in play. Beasts rule, with Incinerators and Shocks handling everything that came down, with Crawler and Cliffs mopping up. Four Baloths didn't hurt either. Again, having more ctitters hurts Goon. If Slide goes by the wayside, perhaps Blistering Firecat should be considered. As if Silver Knight weren't bad enough. Sheesh.

I'm repeating this message at "OnBC: Goblins."

R

Rakamir

Which do you prefer to bring in against Gobbos after boarding .... Broodhatches, or Starstorms? I'll tell you, I like the Starstorms very much, but Broodhatches are working for me quite well, thanks.

Also, what's all this about Goblins owning Beasts? I find quite the opposite to be true. For example:

Semifinals, Beasts vs Goblins:

Game 1 - Both get good hands and keep, Beasts go first. Mountain, done. Gobbos: Mountain, Prospector, done. Beasts: topdecks Contested Cliffs, and it's all down hill for Goblins after that. Beasts gets as low as four, then as high as 18, and Primoc flies to victory.

Game 2 - Gobbos boards: - 4 Shock +4 Threaten. Beasts boards -4 Elf -3 Ferals -1 Avarax +4 Broodhatches +4 Gempalm Incinerator. Goblins go first. Same as before: mtn, Prospector. Beasts gets a Cliffs in opening hand. WHOM do you think will win, I ask you? Tough one, huh? Goblins got to Threaten a Crawler. Whoopee. Beasts only got one side card out, Broodhatch, and it chumped/replaced itself nicely. And to top it all off, Goblins' third land doesn't come up until turn 5, so Siege-Gang Commanders are sticking in the hand. Not that it mattered at that point.

Beasts 2 Goblins 0

Osyp has new builds for Beasts and Slide up at TOGIT.com today in Part IV of his OnBC series. Check em out, and yes, new Beasts beat new Slide, unlike pre-Scourge.