..on the topic of pessimism

Ferret

Staff member
One of our most prominent (and outspoken) users was recently called a pessimist. I think that this could be no further from the truth. In my opinion, he's an optimist. He searches for the best in everyone - he just gets very disgusted when he doesn't find it.

Most cynics and realists are optimists at heart because every day they dream of a utopia where each individual can live to their fullest potential and hope that one day it will happen. It is possible if enough people got off their lazy arses and decided to think for themselves...

...pessimists on the other hand have no sense of hope. They see only the negatives w/ no potential for positives. Said user always has encouraging words...

-Ferret

"...quite a few of them usually :)"

A

Aku Necromancer

I suppose at heart I am a pessimist…I always imagine the worse happening, get all worked up, and then feel silly when nothing bad happens. I can't help it. However I still provide postive support to others -- just I dont know how to bring postive support to myself.

"Life is difficult. Once we accept this, life is no longer difficult because we can't realistically expect it to be otherwise." ~M. Scott Peck

M

Mazzak

Personally I don't fit into the category of optimist or pessimist so well as that of Idealist- I have my vision, and reality sure as hell ain't getting in my way. While the optimist wishes and hopes, and the pessimist grumbles and preaches, the idealist does something about it.

"All the world's problems can be attributed to a morbid lack of style." - me

D

DÛke

And Aku, I have told you why you are a pessimist. It is you who likes to see the world in a darker vision, and I will tell you something you will realize later in your life: it is religion and God that makes the world dark and ugly - it is that God that wants you to go against nature, to go against yourself! It is that God that hates you and your feelings, he hates your creativity and your rage. Rage is the most beautiful feeling a human can feel - from it, we can grow more creative and learn lessons. But that dirty, disgusting God wants us dead - he wants nature to die too. Leave your religion and adapt to yourself, Aku, and leave your culture too - if there is a God, you will connect to him when you connect to yourself, not through some Book or some worship. Not a single strong prayer, no matter how believed by its caster, can bring you closer to a God but yourself.

I really am not fond of such pessimism. But I will say it right now: I am not fond of idealism. Too many idealists I have seen who see the world in such a colorful, suger-coated light. If we want to change the world, we have to put into consideration the world, not some idealistic vision, and certainly not some pessimistic, anti-life look on things.

All the world's problems can be summed up into one basic concept: the world does not know what it wants, so it wants everything in hoping to find that single precious thing. I do not even believe that they know what they are looking for anymore... is it peace? Is it power? Is it happiness? No! They want all. They have grown to want all. And all is infinity. Infinity is futility. Futility is death. The world wants death. We have to stop them from reaching their destination...we must be the evil ones who form the obstacles; we must be evil to be good...

N

Nightstalkers

Code:
Connection Confirmed, Starting Link....
Fire and brimstone may seem to ignite the soul as much as the most certain view of a great and immaterial future. While some Nightstalkers might be out of the loop on things, they most certainly see what is the truth behind death and other such prestigious rabble.

What is the core of your average pessimist? The basics of a ruler that is unforeseen, with the everlasting knowledge that of which is unthinkable in the human form. Why take on the best scholars when I can only get into college and make B's? That is the thinking of a defeatist and a principal most unbecoming both an officer, and a gentleman.

Why has the world changed so much in such a few hundred years? The core of civilization as we know it shifted from too strict, to a sorry excuse for a footnote in our history.

Code:
Error, Connection Terminated....

A

arhar

Originally posted by DÛke

And Aku, I have told you why you are a pessimist. It is you who likes to see the world in a darker vision, and I will tell you something you will realize later in your life: it is religion and God that makes the world dark and ugly - it is that God that wants you to go against nature, to go against yourself! It is that God that hates you and your feelings, he hates your creativity and your rage. Rage is the most beautiful feeling a human can feel - from it, we can grow more creative and learn lessons. But that dirty, disgusting God wants us dead - he wants nature to die too.
It seems that you're a close, personal friend of God, because obviously that's how you know what he wants and who he hates. I really wonder about the extent of the stupidity of people who take a single word you say seriously.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by arhar
It seems that you're a close, personal friend of God, because obviously that's how you know what he wants and who he hates. I really wonder about the extent of the stupidity of people who take a single word you say seriously.
I take nothing seriously, and I can tell you that his argument is pretty close to what I believe and came up w/ years and years ago...most people like to view god as this "all loving" and "all caring" guy. Yeah right. This is the same god that according to Xtian myth destroyed the world w/ a flood, mercilessly slew the first born sons, destroyed all that went against him...of course, because of these actions mankind moved forward and was able to outgrow the need for him. We're not children any more and we no longer need a "father figure" to tell us what to do. Now, we need to look at the challenges around us and try to overcome them to grow as a people. Then, we can find new challenges. The second we stop looking forward is the day we stop being human and fall back into being spoiled children...

-Ferret

"The problem w/ being 'born-again' is that you have to start as a baby again..."

A

Aku Necromancer

Ok, so I rely on Jesus,… big deal. Is the world to upsetting unless everyone believes what you believe? Am I a coward? Are you better than me?

I would love these questions answered…

If I am indeed a pessimist, it sure as hell isnt because of my religious beliefs…

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Aku Necromancer
Ok, so I rely on Jesus,… big deal. Is the world to upsetting unless everyone believes what you believe? Am I a coward? Are you better than me?

I would love these questions answered…

If I am indeed a pessimist, it sure as hell isnt because of my religious beliefs…
So, you admit that you lack the convictions to overcome things on your own? Fine. You're not a coward - you're just weak-willed because you have to rely on some 2,000 year old dead guy's alleged teachings to tell you what to do. If you want to take on the 'faith' thing there are religions out there that aren't as "gloomy"...

-Ferret

"Do anything wrong and you're going to hell? Now, that's just silly"

A

Aku Necromancer

This is what kills me…I allow people not to believe…free from harassment. Why should I stop believing in Christ? It makes sense to me, that’s all I need. Don’t worry, I still hold nothing against you…

I wouldn't mind a peaceful coexistence with people like you, it would make the world just a tad bit better…

Btw -- how is your health these days?

M

Mazzak

I do not see the world in a sugar-coated light. I see it for the crap that it is, and I point and laugh and surround myself with beauty. This is my ideal: amusement, beauty, style, and ephemeral life. I take the world in, I recognize its limitations, and I reject it. It is not good enough for me. It tries its best to crank me into its mold and make me a mindless, soulless drone; it has given me disease, injury, weakness and heartbreak, and it has demanded that I follow its codes. It will kill me one day, but afterwards, well... perhaps I will make a sweet utopia of my own, perhaps I will be greeted with oblivion, either way I know I'll die happy.

Perhaps then it is myself that I see in a sugar-coated light, but that is completely fine with me.

Oh, and arhar? You're a twit. DUke speaks through his mind, and you speak through your arse. I recall a while back you fervently declaring that your people were right, your people only. Now WHO believes that they are a close, personal friend of God?
<bursts out laughing>
Then again, you may have changed your opinions since then... but I doubt it, as still today you act as much the oink as ever.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I'm going to step in here and remind everyone to post if they have something to say that's NOT derogatory of someone else's views or beliefs. You can laugh and chortle all you want when you read it, but don't post it 'cause it doesn't accomplish anything.

Either post your own belief (which implies that you don't agree with someone else's) or not at all. Thanks.

T

train

I just want to post and say Pessimism is not an attitude, it's a view, of an ordeal or situation, of one person's views on said situation, as viewed by another...

And that other person has the right to have that view, at least in this country...

So whether that person is a pessimist in your eyes or not, is totally up to you, and you only...