Old School Beats

K

K1

As most of my playgroup started around revised and havent been keeping track of the new sets, I built an all revised or earlier deck which could use some help.

Im also trying to keep the rare count to under 10, as I've received some complaints about that ('nother topic, but the rare count in todays decks seem to be WAY more than they used to be)

Anyways here's the list:

1 Sol Ring
2 Icy Manipulator

4 Dark Ritual
4 Disenchant
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Terror
1 Demonic Tutor

4 Juggernaut
4 Savannah Lions
4 Hypnotic Specter
3 Serra Angel
3 Black Knight.

11 Swamp
8 plains
4 Scrubland

In playtesting, its fairly exposive, putting out a mass of creatures then protecting them enough with the utility spells to do 20 dmg.

I was hoping to make it more multiplayer though. Suggestions? Thanks!

K1

N

nodnarb24

Tag Guard

I think your deck is pretty good deck. If you can try to fit some sengir vampires in your deck put them in, they are good old school creatures.

(A little off topic) I love old school decks. If you are looking for a fun game to play with your friends in a group game. Have each player make hundred card decks like the ones every used to play with when they starting out. Also try to keep it the way you said it, revised and under.

D

Duel

Now this' what I'm talking about! Damn straight! Now, for my attempt to make it quicker, which is what it's all about, after all.

1 Sol Ring
2 Icy Manipulator
3 Mana vault

4 Dark Ritual
4 Disenchant
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Terror
1 Demonic Tutor

4 Juggernaut
4 Savannah Lions
4 Hypnotic Specter
3 Serra Angel
3 Sengir Vampire (I removed knights, as BB is too mana-specific. Besides: land, ritual ritual, sengir.)

11 Swamp
8 plains
4 Scrubland

If I were able to throw in new sets, I'd pu in INTIMIDATION!An underused masques uncommon, that gives all your creatures fear. With what you have, that's deadly.

K

K1

Thanks Duel!

I originally put in the black knights to even out the curve a little bit, but with the inclusion of the mana vaults, that shouldn't be as much of a problem. I'll put in the sengirs and test that out and see how it flies.

Also, the intimidations might be fun, but I would rather keep it through revised. Its kinda like a theme deck, even the lands are all revised :)

Hmm. I just remembered. Isn't mana vault restricted? D'oh!
Even if casual, the group does abide by the banned/restricted list, with a couple of exceptions. (1 mind twist is floating around)

K

K1

maybe basalt monolith?
Seems a bit slow though for this kind of deck

R

rakso

Basically, you have a generic black/white deck here that has mainly creatures and creature removal.

You might want to brush up on a few commons, though, and make changes like switching Terror to Diabolic Edict or Contagion and replacing one Disenchant with Balance. You can also drop Juggernaut for a few more Knights and get a few cheaper things in. Oh, and add Strip Mine and Wastelands.

What you seriously lack, however, is the flexibility of a few more utility spells. A few additions like Volrath's Stronghold, Kjeldoran Outpost, Land Tax, etc., will probably add a new dimension to your deck. Even smaller changes, like cutting down to 22 land and using Forbidden Towers, a couple of surprise Drain Life tricks, or a couple of Blinking Spirits.

Rakso
Type I Moderator
http://www.bdominia.com/discus

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
If he wants all-Revised or earlier, Diabolic Edict, Wasteland, and Volrath's Stronghold are out and Contagion, Kjeldoran Outpost, and Blinking Spirit are maybe if he's allowing Ice Age/Alliances. :)

R

rakso

Sorry... I thought he meant he wanted to expand from all-Revised without buying packs of new cards?

Diabolic Edict and Contagion are staple black non-rares and wouldn't be too hard to find, for example. And a Volrath's Stronghold is a legendary land... something you might want in a collection besides its fun in casual play?

The thing is that not everything from the older expansions is stronger than the Type II counterpart. For example, Control Magic vs Treachery and Braingeyser vs Stroke of Genius. Even Nevinyrral's Disk and Powder Keg don't have the same job profiles.

Thus, I'd say it's always good to pick up a few cards to "update" your old Type I deck. This includes commons and uncommons like Rancor, Soothsaying, etc.

Some of my regulars on the other site enjoy saying that Type I Magic costs only $5-$6 per expansion because they're interested in just a handful of cards every time something new is rolled out. :)

Rakso
Type I Moderator
http://www.bdominia.com/discus

K

K1

:( Nono

Getting the cards from the newer sets is not a problem. Heck, I've built accelerated blue, control green, enchantress, bargain etc decks all in the past year or so from my colleciton.

I wanted to build a deck using only old cards partly for nostalgia, and partly for the benefit of my playgroup. Basically, any pre-mirage block is fair game, I suppose. U was looking for suggestions since I'm particularly weak on the sets from the dark up to just before tempest though. I quit playing around the dark and came back during legacy, but I liked tempest block enough to go collect some of it.

K

krichaiushii

First off, a big welcome to Rakso! Now you've found my other home...

How about Maze of Ith, Syphon Soul, and the venerable Pestilence? These all fit the profile for pre-Mirage cards, and work very well in multiplayer. Darkness is a black Fog from Legends which may well save the game after an ill-timed assault.

Just some thoughts.

[Edited by krichaiushii on August 17th, 2000 at 03:29 PM]

D

Duel

Nostalgia, eh? Okay.
ROYAL ASSASSIN. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

And, though he's selling cars right now, Baron Sengir.