Old cards...

D

DÛke

Destine (U)
Sorcery
Reveal a non land card in your hand to all players, then search your library for a copy of that card, reveal it to all players, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

(Destine is a useful card on its own, though the cards I had planned for it really make it worthwhile. Simply the existence of Counterspell or any Blue's efficient early spells make the card highly interesting, if not downright playable. The casting cost is sure to become a subject of debate, though if thought thoroughly, Destine's power is only effective early in the game, i.e., the first 2 or 3 turns, when the caster's hand is full of cards to use for Destine's effect. Beyond the early game, Destine can only be useful if the player packed plenty of card drawing capabilities, which, in return, would make Destine unnecessary, or at least less necessary. The card may seem underpriced, but thinking its concept through reveals otherwise.)

Psionic Concentration (3UU)
Instant
Psionic Concentration deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you lose 2 life.
When you play Psionic Concentration by paying its mana cost, you may play another Psionic Concentration card from your hand without paying its mana cost until end of the turn.

(This is one of the card's that can benefit greatly from Destine. The card may be a little controversial given its damage effect, though I would like to remind the reader that Blue can and does deal direct damage, viz. Psionic Blast, Prodigal Sorcerer, and the like. One more card that does it and does it good will not hurt.)

Soular Manifestation (BB)
Creature - Spirit
Trample
As Soular Manifestation comes into play, put a +1/+1 counter on it for each 1 life you paid or lost this turn.
1/1

(A similar concept to Minion of the Waste from Tempest, though this one can be more efficent. This card I designed specifically to fit in with a recurring theme in this set of cards - life paying and losing. See the next card for a quick example...)

Sogen (B)
Creature - Insect
Flying
Pay 1 life: add B to your mana pool. Play this ability no more than 2 times each turn and only as a Sorcery.
0/1

(Inspired by Birds of Paradise and the loss of Dark Ritual, Sogen is destined to be a players' stable. Not a Dark Ritual replacement by all means, but something rather entirely different. Additionally, there are a couple of cards planned that get stronger when life is paid or lost - see the aforementioned card.)

Howling of the Fate (3BB)
Sorcery
Target player chooses and discards 2 cards from his or her hand. For each card he or she fails to discard this way, that player loses 4 life.

(In my few years playing Magic, black control viz. discard became a quick favorite. However, a problem prevailed - once the player is out of cards, especially mid and late game, there is not any card, as far as my knowledge is concerned, that punishes the player greatly for having no cards, or few cards, in hand. Howling of the Fate is almost a win condition, not to mention, a card that only makes itself better as the game progresses - if the opponent has the cards, than by all means, discard them. If not, then prepare to lose 4 life and discard whatever it is in your hand, or, if you are out of cards, lose 8 life. Not a bad deal for five mana.)

Grave Ritual (3B)
Instant
Target player sacrifices a creature. If he or she can’t, that player loses 4 life.

(Same concept to the aforementioned card, this card helps a control player when needed, and punishes the opponent later on. Like its cousin, Howling of the Fate, Grave Ritual can only become better as the game progresses.)

More old cards later...

D

DÛke

Scourging Fatalist (3BB)
Creature - Spirit
As Scourging Fatalist comes into play, pay any amount of life. For each 2 life paid this way, each other creature gains -1/-1 until end of the turn. For each 3 life paid this way, your opponent discards a card and you draw a card.
3/3

(A card dear and near to my heart, Scourging Fatalist is made to be a Black control player's delight.)

Demonic Idol (0)
Artifact
If Demonic Idol is in your hand, you may discard it at any time to have target player lose 1 life.
Whenever a player pays or loses life, Demonic Idol becomes a 3/3 black spirit creature with flying until end of the turn.

(A "thematic card" - compliments life loss and pay, and its other, minor effect is unique.)

Soular Parallel (3BB)
Enchantment
You may cast no more than one spell each turn.
Instead of paying a spell’s mana cost, you may pay an amount of life equal to that spell’s total mana cost to play that spell instead.

(One thing I would like to emphasize here is how Soular Parallel does not care for the card's color, only its total mana cost. Potentially, you can play Counterspells, Shocks, Wrath of Gods, and all the good stuff. Not to mention the higher priced cards. This is one of my dream cards.)

Pheno (2UU)
Creature - Spirit Legend
Flying
If you draw Pheno outside of your draw step, you may put Pheno into play without paying its mana cost.
0: Shuffle Pheno back into owner’s library.
2/1

(Pheno is simply amazing, and being Blue, thanks to Blue's card drawing power, Pheno could perhaps lead a new deck archtype. Notice how any color can play Pheno and actually make use of it simply by playing sources to draw cards. A universal legend. Perhaps it is even more annoying than one of my favorite cards, Blinking Spirit.)

Soularis (2WW)
Creature - Spirit Cleric Legend
Flying
For each 1 damage dealt to you or other creatures you control, prevent that damage and put a Flicker counter on Soularis. Whenever Soularis has 2 or more Flicker counter on it, shuffle it back to your library.
1/4

(A very, very powerful creature that "fogs" all damage whatsoever.)

Tempered Spirit (1RR)
Enchantment
As Tempered Spirit comes into play, you may have it deal up to 5 damage divided anyway you choose amongst any number of target creatures and/or players. For each damage you deal that way, put a Lightning counter on Tempered Spirit.
At the beginning of your upkeep, Tempered Spirit deals 1 damage to you for each Lightning counter on it.

(Better than Lightning Ball? Maybe. I was so sick and tired of seeing WotC's struggle to make "the new Ball," so I decided to make one of my own. Tempered Spirit is the result - a more focused, more furious "Lightning Ball." A stable card, as I envision it.)

Lightning Cloud (XR)
Sorcery
At the beginning of your next upkeep, Lightning Cloud deals X damage to each creature and each player.

(Another "stable" card. The card might seem "too powerful," but its drawback really controls its power level. The more mana you spend, the more you will lock yourself for that turn, practically doing nothing for that turn. It is almost like a more flexible "skip your turn" drawback - here, however, you choose how much you want to spend now and how much you will get later. A highly strategic card without a doubt.)

Will to Power (2UUU)
Sorcery
Creatures you don't control gain +3/+3 and trample until end of the turn.
At the beginning of your next upkeep, gain control of all creatures.

(Here, a Blue mage is so arrogant that they dare to offer their opponent a "free" Overrun...)

C

chocobo_cid

Originally posted by DÛke
Will to Power (2UUU)
Sorcery
Creatures you don't control gain +3/+3 and trample until end of the turn.

(Here, a Blue mage is so arrogant that they dare to offer their opponent a "free" Overrun...)
How about a text that says "Play this only during an opponent's percombat main-phase (1)" or something. Otherwise, this could be very much broken.

As for Destine, I can imagine quite a few broken extra-turn interactions mid-late game.

1.EDIT: As opposed to being a sorcery.

C

chocobo_cid

How then is a card not broken when one only plays it during his turn? A blue player needs only to choose to not attack.

:confused:

D

DÛke

I don't get it. You guys tried to "fix" Will to Power, but I don't see how the changes you made will tone it down. Explain please.

More cards:

Breakdown (1U)
Instant
Counter target spell and return it to owner's hand. All lands tapped to pay for that spell don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

Spellbreacher (XU)
Instant
Until end of the turn, you may play a card in your hand with total mana cost of X or less without paying its mana cost. (X in that spell is 0.)

Furious Angel (4R)
Creature - Angel
Haste, flying.
You may sacrifice a red permanent or a mountain instead of paying Furious Angel's mana cost.
Whenever Furious Angel is put into a graveyard from play, you may sacrifice a permanent. If you do, return Furious Angel back into play under owner's control.
2/1

Elecrtra (2RR)
Creature - Elemental Legend
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose not to untap any number of permanents you control. For each permanent you choose this way, Electra deals 1 damage to target creature or player, and 1 damage to you.
3/3

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Breakdown looks a little too scary...

And red does not need more free damage, even in creature form...

Will to Power needs to be fixed though. The way it looks now, it might as well read...

Will to Power (2UUU)
Sorcery
Gain control of all creatures at the beginning of your next upkeep.

Making your opponents creatures bigger during your turn is not going to matter at all. And you can always play it after your combat step is already out of the way or just not attack...

It's not a free Overrun for the opponent at all. I don't care if my creatures are bigger until end of turn after you play that spell (and how is trample going to help me on your turn?) if I'm going to lose them all. The spell really does nothing for me and everything for you...

The idea was to make it read like this...

Will to Power (2UUU)
Instant
Play Will to Power only during target opponent's upkeep (or whatever). All creatures that opponent controls get +3/+3 and trample until end of turn. At the end of turn, you gain control of all creatures that opponent controls.

Something along those lines would be closer to an Overrun for the opponent...

D

DÛke

I am such an idiot. I see what you're talking about, but was naturally naive to the advice because in my head the card was what it is meant to be, which isn't at all what it is right now.

Here's the card as I envisioned it in my head, which is, needless to say, pretty much what you guys wanted:

Will to Power (2UUU)
Sorcery
Creatures you don't control gain +3/+3 and trample until the beginning of your next turn.

This "fixes" it, although it is what I had in mind all along.

As for Breakdown - indeed it is scary; early game, it's almost a Time Walk. How about this:

Breakdown (3U)
Instant
Counter target spell and return it to owner's hand. Lands tapped to pay for that spell don't untap during their controller's next untap step.

It's merely a price increase, but now it's no longer a Time Walk under a mask. It can't be all that bad because Mana Short only costs 2U, and taps all the opponent's lands, which prevents him or her from casting essential spells at all. This is like Mana Short, but it has additional use: it can delay a dangerous spell, and, too, lock down the opponent's mana.

I'm interested to hear some things about Electra and Spellbreacher...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, so that clears of Will to Power, and "fixes" Breakdown...

Heh, a pun...

Spellbreacher reminds me too much of Metathran Aerostat...

It's just not that interesting to me right now...

Electra I don't think is good enough unless we're talking about Homelands here, but I could be wrong...

D

DÛke

Eww. I agree. Spellbreacher already has a very close cousin in real Magic. When I used to make cards, the purpose was to be unique, do something beyond...and above...the world of Magic. So cross that card out.

As for Electra - I fail to see how it is a bad card. Total board control for 2RR isn't that bad, is it? Or is there something I am failing to realize? I did try to make it as flexible as I can...but enlighten me...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I don't mean that's it's terrible...

It just seems a little underpowered...

I was thinking of maybe making it more of a hybrid between what it is now and Kyren Negotiations...

Not sure exactly how to go about doing that though...

Would it be too powerful if it didn't damage you? I'm thinking it might, but I'm not sure...

It might be too powerful, but I think it could be really cool that way...

Yeah, I'm not sure...

D

DÛke

Although you are right about its being underpowered, I do think that removing its ability to deal damage to the owner would make it one of the most powerful creatures in the game, believe it or not. For 4 mana, you would have total control of the board, even if only for 1 turn - that's all you need to make at least one good decision. But as I rethink its concept, I figured that its ability is already under check: it can't deal more damage than the amount of permanents that are tapped; it means that you have to have good plays in order to tap your mana for it; additionally, it keeps those permanents locked, another great drawback. Upon thinking, it seems that its ability, although powerful in the right conditions, is nevertheless a very controlled ability. Masticore, at least, did not really need "right conditions." This one does. It's not too powerful, after all, if we remove its damage to the onwner. It is a great card, however.

(One note, I also changed the creature type to Spirit Legend as opposed to Elemental Legend. Why? I like Spirits better.

Electra (2RR)
Creature - Spirit Legend
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose not to untap any number of permanents you control. For each permanent you choose this way, Electra deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
3/3

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, it's would be more tempting to put in a deck now, were it real...

And spirits are cooler than elementals...

D

DÛke

After long thoughts, I decided to finally "fix" Electra again:

Electromar (2RR)
Creature - Spirit
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may choose not to untap any number of permanents you control. For each permanent you choose this way, Electra deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
4/3

It is no longer a Legend, and its power is 4 now. If nothing, now, merely its 4/3 for 2RR is good enough of a play. It's ability, as highly strategic, is the icing on the cake - a lot of icing, to be sure, but only icing, nevertheless.

More cards:

Spirit Redeemer (3W)
Creature - Spirit
Flying
Whenever another permanent is put into a graveyard from play, you may return Spirit Redeemer back to owner's hand. If you do, return that permanent back into play under owner's control.
1/3

Tormented Departure (3B)
Instant
If a creature was put into the graveyard from play this turn, put a Spirit token into play. Treat it as a 3/3 Black creature with flying. Otherwise, target player sacrifices a creature.

Counterantics (2UU)
Enchantment
Remove a Counterantics card in your hand from the game: Counter target spell.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I was wondering now if Electra/Electromar might be too good, but red has precious few good creatures anyway, and this would be cool...

Off the top of my head, Redeemer doesn't look broken at all and is still looks potentially useful to an extent. Seems like a balanced card...

I like Departure a lot...

I'm unsure as to Counterantics, but it looks workable. Maybe lower the casting cost even since it is so situational...

C

chocobo_cid

Originally posted by Oversoul
I am not sure what you mean there...
Cast Will to Power.

Don't attack, you aren't affected.

Next upkeep get all creatures.

D

DÛke

Agreed on Electromar. If you think about it, no matter what it is, it is only a creature, and in the very least, it doesn't regenerate or has some evasive abilities like "can't be the target of spell or abilities." We have had worse: Masticore, Morphling, Thrashing Wumpus...

chocobo_cid - I was confused too about the card. The point of Will to Power is to give your opponent's creature a good chance to deal a great amount of damage before you finally take them over. The way the card was worded before, what it did is give them such a power only during my turn: that means they couldn't really attack being all toughened up, but the whole point of giving them +3/+3 and trample is to have them attack you one more time, because after all, it is no walk in the park stealing all of your opponents creatures, even if they were only 2 creatures, in fact! Basically, with the wrong wording, the card gave them +3/+3 and trample, but then as soon as their controller's turn came, they would lose all such bonuses, until my next turn comes, upon which I gain control of them all. A pretty useless "drawback," if you think about it. Now, the card actually does what it is supposed to do: power them up for the last time they can attack, and then take them all over.

C

chocobo_cid

Whew! I thought that I was hallucinating for a while there...

Much better. Indeed, it fits the mood of Blue well.

:D