Oh god, noooooooo! (posting problem)

C

Chaos Turtle

I just spent about an hour posting a new thread in the Trading Forum, only to find out that I forgot to enter a subject when I was politely reminded of that fact after pressing "Submit New Thread."

As instructed, I hit my "back" button and, to my dismay, the text of the message had vanished.

Dang.

Is there any way around this? Or is it like a browser limitation? (IE 5, Win98, in case it matters).

Um, cheers.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man, I've had this problem since the old Dojo boards, during the time where it appeared I had a limitation on my post length and had to spread it out over several. Back then it was not being able to successfully connect to the reply message or whatever after hitting the reply button. So I had to resort to always copying my post in my clipboard before sending it to make sure that if such a thing happened, when I hit the back button I could just re-paste it.

So I think it's a vbulletin thing, not a browser thing, although I am also using IE 5, WINNT.

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
It's an IE thing, not vB :(

Theoretically I could do some changes so that the boxes would appear on the error page - but you have NO clue how extensive that would be.

C

Chaos Turtle

So the lesson is... be sure all the fields are complete and copy the long and/or important posts to the clipboard first.

[me]put his shoulder to the wheel...[/me]

Will do... (thanks anyway :))

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Hell, you could even write your posts in Word, speel chek tthemm :))) and then paste them into the box...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually I tried that and it came out with a formatting problem. Either there were weird "codes" that were imbedded in Word that appeared in the box and/or there were line breaks at inoppurtune places. I found using the simple clipboard was better so I didn't have to go back and edit the post.

M

Mundungu

For articles or verz long threads,
I always write them off line on the notepad first then cut past them into the thread ...
works pretty well and the amount of reformating due to paragraph break is held to a minimum.