Odyssey Set

E

el_terror

Hello I'm Back... Remember me???

The other day I had a discussion with a friend about the odyssey set, he says, like all the people I know, "the best card in this set is the finkel card":p, I think it must have better cards than that one:( .

What's your opinion about this?

Could you please list me the top 5 cards of this Set (odyssey)?

Thanks.

PD: I'm sorry 'bout my English.... Yo solo hablo el español....:D

I

Istanbul

Psychatog
Shadowmage Infiltrator
Terravore
Balancing Act
Call of the Herd

G

Gizmo

Shadowmage Infiltrator has a good claim to being one of the best creatures ever and is streets ahead of any other card in Odyssey... only Call Of The Herd is even in the same league.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So what you're saying is that the other three cards are not part of the top five in Odyssey. So what do you think they are?

I

Istanbul

I will admit...as of November, you can expect Balancing Act and Terravore to drop out bigtime.

Of course, that's 7 months away.

G

Gizmo

I chose not to offer an opinion.

Im sorry if I broke the strict posting guidelines.

I`ll remember to correctly and concisely answer all questions posed in future.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
My opinions on top(possibly more than five) Odyssey cards.

Shadowmage Infiltrator-Great card. If you get this card while registering a deck for a Pre-Release and the judges want to redistribute them to new people, run. Very fast.

Call of the Herd-Read above.

Psychatog-I seriously underestimated this card. I was creamed by a Psychatog deck in a tourney recently AND pulling one at the Torment Pre-Release helped me in ways you can't imagine.

Balancing Act- I'm a fan of Balance, I just don't want to have to play it nowadays(that sounded wierd, but trust me, it's correct).

Terravore- What?

Chatter of the Squirrel- BUY AS MANY AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!j/k

O.J. Simpson- Guilty

Spellbane Centaur-I like this, but sideboard only, of course.

That's really all I've got right now.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't know there were strict posting guidelines.

All I'm saying is that it would be helpful if, when you offer your opinion that someone else's choices are not the Top 5 (or 3, or whatever), that you put your own for comparison.

G

Gizmo

I dont recall saying anyone`s choices were not the top-5. Could you point me to where I said that please?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
This is what you said in response to Isty's post:

Shadowmage Infiltrator has a good claim to being one of the best creatures ever and is streets ahead of any other card in Odyssey... only Call Of The Herd is even in the same league
As I said in my post after that, it seems that you disagree with three of the choices being in the top 5. Why? Because you agree that S.I. is "streets ahead of any other card in Odyssey" and that Call of the Herd is in the same league. Therefore, the other three must NOT be in the same league, which I inferred as being the top 5. I wasn't sure, which was why I said "So what you're saying...", giving you room to clarify.

Does that help?

G

Gizmo

Shadowmage Infiltrator and Call Of The Herd are streets ahead of any other cards in Odyssey.

I make no statement about the worthiness of the other cards on Isty`s or anybody`s list. I think only two cards in Odyssey are worth mentioning in a list of best cards because no other cards are significantly stronger than their peers to warrant highlighting.

Behind Infiltrator and Call comes about twenty different cards all on a similar power level, and you could choose any three of those to be numbers 3-5.

Stop being such an officious oink.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
That you choose to read such an intent in my posts/questions. It's a wonder that people might come to you for help, with that kind of attitude.

Like I said before, perhaps you need to work on your communication skills in writing if such a question or request for clarification gets a response.

G

Gizmo

I thought I was answering the guys question, and didnt need you to come in and start telling me I hadnt done the job properly.

He wondered if anything was better than Infiltrator, I told him there wasnt. Next time you want me to reply to something let me know in advance what sort of wordlength you require from my answer, and the cogent points I should put in it? it would make my life a hell of a lot easier than have you just butting in and hassling me and doing your best to make me look bad.

I hadnt said anything about anybody`s list being wrong, and yet you did your best to stir up trouble anyway.

Maybe if you stayed off threads you didnt have anything to contribute to yourself that would help, instead of just sitting around nagging anyone who tries to post on your nice neat boards.

You can oink my oink seventeen times with an oinking oinker.

C

Chaos Turtle

I don't think Psychatog is particularly good. It's the powerful drawing and countering that make it possible to run a single creature as a win condition.

Same goes for Terravore and Balancing Act. Balancing Act is not good at all without some way to sacrifice all or most of your permanents. Terravore is only good with lots of land cards in the graveyards, and quite bad otherwise.

So I'm with Gizmo on the issue of Shadowmage Infiltrator and Call of the Herd being far and away the best cards in Odyssey, since they are good in most circumstances, with the only notable weakness coming from black creatures and bounce, respectively.

Rounding out the top 5 (to stay out of trouble ;)):

Mystic Enforcer: fits a variety of configurations and is often a huge undercosted flyer that is very strong against removal.

Wild Mongrel: The best bear ever?

Nimble Mongoose: Untargetable and a first-turn play, often making it uncounterable as well. Spellbane Centaur was my other choice for this spot, as it is cost-to-power efficient and shares a useful ability with all your other creatures.

P

Purple_jester

I tend to disagree on the Psychatog not being in the top 5. The fact that they made it blue already says that it has powerful card drawing to back it up. While by itself it is NOWHERE near the power of Morphliing or even Palinchron, the Psychatog is the right set of colors to make it good. Also, the two atog abilities of the Psychatog are the easiest to use on account that cards in hand and graveyard are always available.

Call of the Herd is up there, for reasons I no longer need to discuss.

Mystic Enforcer is one of the best creatures I've seen in a long time. Potentially huge and difficult to get rid of. My Psychatog deck has lost more games to this creature than decks with Call of the Herd. (Considering that in my casual environment, my pals pair the Enforcer with Armageddon...)

Shadowmage Infiltrator is on the top of the list, given that it's got several premium abilty packages rolled into 1.

Last on my list is Wild Mongrel. I initially judge a set by its best common. By far, this is one of the best commons I've seen, by itself, and by its synergy with the rest of the Block. Almost enough to make you forget that Blastoderm is no longer T2 legal.

Almost. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I find your attitude rather laughable and defensive.

Originally posted by Gizmo I thought I was answering the guys question, and didnt need you to come in and start telling me I hadnt done the job properly.
Here's my chance to ask YOU to point me just exactly where I said you hadn't done the job properly.

He wondered if anything was better than Infiltrator, I told him there wasnt. Next time you want me to reply to something let me know in advance what sort of wordlength you require from my answer, and the cogent points I should put in it? it would make my life a hell of a lot easier than have you just butting in and hassling me and doing your best to make me look bad.
Another question he had was "What was the Top 5 in your opinion?" Since only Isty replied before you and had listed those two cards you mentioned, I thought you were replying to both. "MY BAD" if I misinterpreted your post, yet all I was asking was what, in your opinion was the other three?

I hadnt said anything about anybody`s list being wrong, and yet you did your best to stir up trouble anyway.
Again, I ask you, where did I say that YOU said anybody's list was wrong?

Maybe if you stayed off threads you didnt have anything to contribute to yourself that would help, instead of just sitting around nagging anyone who tries to post on your nice neat boards.
Maybe if you realized that just because someone isn't contributing by offering their own top 5, that doesn't mean they're not interested in knowing others opinions. Maybe you ought to develop some thicker skin and try not to read every post as an attack on you. Maybe YOU should try being a little more helpful when someone asks, instead of jumping down their throat. :rolleyes:

You can oink my oink seventeen times with an oinking oinker.
Can I really? Pretty please? Oh golly gee...

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Gizmo
He wondered if anything was better than Infiltrator, I told him there wasnt.
Could you please list me the top 5 cards of this Set (odyssey)?

Cut-and-paste.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Chaos Turtle
I don't think Psychatog is particularly good. It's the powerful drawing and countering that make it possible to run a single creature as a win condition.

Wild Mongrel: The best bear ever?
Psychatog really is very good. If I'm playing U/B and want a win condition, that's a really good candidate. Every card in your library suddenly has at LEAST two uses, possibly three.

Wild Mongrel, best bear ever? Let me introduce you to the Twins. This is Black Knight, this is White Knight. They want to have a talk with you about this. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if you go by the definition that a bear is merely a colored mana and a colorless (like I do ;) ), then the Knights aren't really in the same category... :)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Umm, if it makes everybody stop argueing, I'll say that Terravore is a good card.

*Ransac whinks.*

Ransac, cpa trash man