ODYSSEY: Mean Green?

Do you BROADLY agree with this account of Odyssey cards?

• I think the green cards are generally better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I generally agree.

• I think the green cards are generally worse.

• Dont know/care

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Gizmo

Ill be using the novel ratings system of:
:'( - Its so bad it makes me cry
:-( - Its poor
:-| - Its servicable. Might see some play
:) - Its actually pretty good, should see extensive use.
:D - Wa-Hey! I like this guy.

and also

:-? - Dunno how good this will be.
:eek: - OMG! This looks like it could be a problem card.

All ratings are given for standard without paying more than 3 seconds thought to what the card does. Cards might be good in other formats and I might mention that, but mainly Im talking about standard.

Bearscape :-|

Beast Attack :-|

Call of the Herd :)

Cartographer :-(

Chatter of the Squirrel :'(

Chlorophant :-(

Crashing Centaur :-(

Deep Reconnaissance :-(

Diligent Farmhand (common) :-(
G
Creature - Druid
1G, Sacrifice Diligent Farmhand: Search your library for a basic land card and put that card into play tapped. Then shuffle your library.
If Diligent Farmhand is in a graveyard, Muscle Burst's effect counts it as a Muscle Burst.
1/1

I actually kind of like this guy, he`ll be big in OBC, but cant compete with BoP or Llanowar Elf in T2.

Druid’s Call :-(

Druid Lyrist (common)
G
Creature - Druid
G, T, Sacrifice Druid Lyrist: Destroy target
enchantment.
1/1

Do you NEED 8 Elven Lyrists REALLY?

Elephant Ambush :-(

Gorilla Titan :-|

Ground Seal :-(

Holistic Wisdom (rare) :-| :-? :D
1GG
Enchantment
2, Remove a card in your hand from the game: Return target card from your graveyard to your hand if it shares a type with the card removed this way.

As I thought, the earlier version of this card, predicting that the cards you discarded were not removed, was untrue - that would be VERY broken. Even so, this seems very strong in T1 and possible Extended, where there are more abusable spells to recur. In T2 its biggest bonus is synergy with Wild Research, but dont overlook the chance to be repeatedly casting large-point Flamebursts or the like. I think possibly one of the strongest 'engine' cards printed into T2 for a long time.
The ability to recur an annoying cantrip or two seems very tempting. I`LL certainly be looking to use this, even if nobody else will.

Howling Gale :-(

Ivy Elemental :-(

Krosan Archer :-(

Krosan Avenger :-(

Krosan Beast :-(

Leaf Dancer :'(

Metamorphic Wurm :-(

Moment’s Peace :-(

Muscle Burst :-(

Nantuko Disciple :'(

Nantuko Elder :'(

Nantuko Mentor :-(

Nantuko Shrine :-|

New Frontiers (rare) :-?
XG
Sorcery
Each player may search his or her library for up to X basic land cards and put them into play tapped. Then each player who searched his or her library this way shuffles it.

Sets up Domain like NOTHING ELSE ON EARTH! I think possibly rather nifty.

Nimble Mongoose (uncommon) :-(
G
Creature - Mongoose
Nimble Mongoose can’t be the target of spells or abilities.
Threshold - Nimble Mongoose gets +2/+2.
1/1
Nowhere near as irritating as his faster cousin.

Nut Collector :'(

Overrun (uncommon) :eek:
2GGG
Sorcery
Creatures you control get +3/+3 and gain trample until end of turn.

OMG! This guy hurts a lot. Simply put its usually GGG2: win the game. Respect the Elves, or they will kill you. With ACC counters about to leave, and no sort of removal like Disk is Keg - blue decks are gonna be paranoid as hell about this card.

Piper’s Melody :'(

Primal Frenzy :'(

Rabid Elephant :-(

Refresh :'(

Rites of Spring :-(

Roar of the Wurm (uncommon) :)
6G
Sorcery
Put a 6/6 Green Wurm creature token into play.
Flashback - 3G

Presumably you discard it in some way, like you would a Nether Spirit. With the cards in this set that will be awesome synergy with SOMETHING good.

Seton, Krosan Protector :-(

Seton’s Desire :'(

Simplify :'(

Skyshooter :-(

Spellbane Centaur (rare)
2G
Creature - Centaur
Creatures you control can’t be the targets of blue spells or abilities from blue sources.
3/2

At 2/2 hes bad, but at 3/2 hes playably powerful anyway. Im going to consider him a 4-of maindeckable card if the metagame swings to blue a little

Springing Tiger :'(

Squirrel Mob :-(

Squirrel Nest (uncommon) :-|
Enchant Land
1GG
Enchanted land has: "T: Put a 1/1 Green Squirrel creature token into play."

OOh! Outpost!

Still Life (uncommon) :)
1GG
Enchantment
GG: Still Life becomes a 4/3 Centaur creature until end of turn. It's still an enchantment.

[/i]Your Idol. Not as good, maybe. Still certainly very worth considering as he`s unwrathable etc.[/i]

Stone-Tongue Basilisk :'(

Sylvan Might :)

Terravore :-|

Twigwalker :-(

Verdant Succession (rare) :)
4G
Enchantment
Whenever a green nontoken creature is put into a graveyard from play, that creature's controller may search his or her library for a card with the same name as that creature and put it into play. If that player does, he or she then shuffles his or her library.

Powerful spell. With recursion could possibly produce undying creatures. I`m thinking of Mortuary or Serra Avatar in Extended. In T2 the cost is right, at GG2 it would be far too tempting to play, as it is its still exceptionally powerful.

Vivify :-(

Werebear :-(

Wild Mongrel (common) :D
1G
Creature - Hound
Discard a card from your hand: Wild Mongrel gets +1/+1 and becomes the color of your choice until end of turn.
2/2

We all know by now that hes astounding in Limited. The good news is he`s going to be astounding in Constructed too. Imagine the impact that this guy would have had on IBC, and you`ll see why he`s going to be tough as nails

Woodland Druid :'(

Zoologist :-(

Green got, as ever, a whole lot of useless Limited combat tricks that are poor in constructed. But hidden in there are some amazing engines and powerful creatures. Beast Attack for the Sap Burst slot in Fires? Its not unreasonable, put in the Call Of The Herd and Still Life for cards at the 3cc slot that also make counters and Wraths weak, and you return to the original concept of Fires - rapidly playing hard-to-solve threats.
I dont like most of the green spells, but the good green spells I REALLY like.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by Gizmo
Squirrel Nest (uncommon) :-|
Enchant Land
1GG
Enchanted land has: "T: Put a 1/1 Green Squirrel creature token into play."

OOh! Outpost!
Outpost wishes!

Outpost requires three mana each turn to make a dude...1W, plus the fact that you can't use the Outpost itself for mana. Opportunity cost.
Outpost requires that you sacrifice a land, or it goes bye-bye.

The ONLY disadvantage to Squirrel Nest is that it's an Enchant Land, meaning it's easier to get rid of.

A

arhar

I generally agree, and I think Verdant Succession has the potential to be AMAZING.

Z

Zadok001

On the other hand, Outpost was white. White had Wrath, and neighbored blue, which had countermagic. Nest is green, which does not have Wrath, and is, in fact, the creature color. And green is NOT neighbored by blue.

I'd say they even out.

H

Hetemti

Call of the Herd
I hate 'Phants. Suckage.

Chatter of the Squirrel
Disappointing...at least Lab Rats had a use. And what's with the pic...did he steal some hy00man's gum?

Druid Lyrist
"Do you NEED 8 Elven Lyrists REALLY?"
No, but I do need four that will take out Engineere Plague: Elves

Holistic Wisdom
Not bad...Reregrows Big McNasties like Yawg's Will and it's fun friends.

Ivy Elemental
Please...Krak'lin was marginal as a Unc.

Muscle Burst
Stoopid pic. I'll pinch his neck and break his spine in responce.

New Frontiers
Landsperity. If only it didn't say "opponent may search" it'd rock with Vise effects...

Overrun
Old friend, let's do it one more time...

Squirrel Nest
"Oh! Outpost!"
No, more of a Caribou Range. Still, halfway decent.

Still Life
Welcome back, Saga Mechanics.

Stone-Tongue Basilisk
Mine are shiiiiiiny.

Verdant Succession
Remember Rememberance? No? This is it but a tad better. But does a tad make you glad? Without the CIP-Echo crew...I don't know.

Wld Mongrel
A noncrap common...a pity I only got one out of my 315 Odyssey cards...

Verdict: :-|Not bad, per se, but I just don't see a decktype coming out of this besides Overrun+Critters. Course...what else can green do?

M

Mikeymike

Holistic Wisdom - This can be used as an instant!? This card is nuts.

Roar of the Wurm - Ummmm, Wild Mongrel?

Wild Mongrel - Its a solid bear on its own, its gets bigger in a pinch, and its got a built in combo engine. What's not to like.

Verdant Succession - I'm freaking gaga over this card. I put a decklist together with it already, please check it out in the deck section as the creature choices need work. Its titled "G/W for the new Type 2". I would beg but....I shouldn't....I'm weak....PLEASE HELP THAT DECK, I LOVE THE CONCEPT!

Muscle Burst - Hetemi, my thoughts exactly. It looks like he's got some sort of rare disease that makes your joints smaller.

Terravore - Plus Epicenter and/or LD decks and you've got problems.

New Frontiers - Plus Rofellos and Gaea's Cradle and you can have some serious fun.

Overrun - Thank you WOTC. Boy, this works nicely with the 2 Mongeese doesn't it.

D

Duel

Actually, my card of choice is Still Life, for underrated power cards. You guys remember Chimeric Idol, right?If you play green, this is BETTER than chimeric idol.