• Total voters
L

Lotus Mox

Here's an example of them if you haven't seen them yet:

Skycloud Expanse
Land
1,T: add UW to your mana pool
Rare

I think they are ok, on par with tap-lands, in the right decks even better.

But I've read many very different opinions of these lands, what do you think of them?

H

Hetemti

I wish I'd've gotten those instead of the utter trash I got at the prerelease...but that doesn't mean I want them.

M

Mikeymike

They aren't bad, I feel exactly how you state it for option 2 of the poll. In think WotC is pushing players to play 2 color decks heavy with gold cards.

E

EricBess

If you could tap them for a colorless mana, they would be pretty amazing. As it is, they don't help you with cards that have 2 of the same mana in them and the fact that they don't work on their own means you have to be careful about playing too many of them. For splashing colors, the new common lands are almost as good.

R

Rando

I'd use them as Mana-fixers for Limited...but I doubt they see any Constructed play.

H

Hetemti

The best use I can think for them at the moment is to get colors out of an artifact source, such as Thran Turbine.

But even that idea sux.

G

Gizmo

I think that they are extremely powerful. Slightly worse than painlands overall but better in most situations once you are running. So long as your deck isnt land-light you are happy to play 4.

I really like them.

G

Gizmo

ie. you draw a Forest and a Mossfire Valley.
You can now cast anything but a GG spell. Draw another land and you can cast anything but a GGG spell.

They dont REALLY hurt you getting the base color at all, the only significant weakness is if you are playing low land (cos you dont want it as the only land in your hand) or are playing vs LD.

I really dont understand why people dont like them. Ill be getting 4 if each.

M

Mr.Gnome

I personally really like the filter lands and would like to get some more of the U/W and U/B ones. Finkle posted a deck in "The Sideboard" that containd no basic lands and 4 filter lands and if Finkle thinks that they are usable then i don't see how i can dissagree. If anyone wants to see the deck i will post it in the deck forum.

C

Cateran Emperor

To be honest, I thought they sucked at first. I wondered why they didn't tap for colorless. Now, after some testing, I can say that they don't tap for colorless because then they'd be better than the painlands, by a fair margin too.

If you're playing a 2 color control deck, regardless of the colors, you can very easily afford to play 2-3 of the appropriate one. I've taken to playing 2 in my R/B deck, but after the amazing performance I've been getting out of them, I'm going to up that number to 3 or even 4 soon enough.

C

CAMDEX

Okay, let's have a rundown:

Painlands- get what you what immediately, for a ping.
Taplands- Don't get what you want immediately, but no ping.
Filter Lands- Get what you might want, but it seems situational.

I think that it's just a mattter of figuring out the right decks to play them in. In most decks, it could probably work, but it's just figuring out where.

I personally... I LIKE THEM A LOT! :D

T

Turtlewax Joe

I voted for the OBC option but quickly regretted my choice and opt for forgiveness and wish I would have voted for 2 or 3 instead.

T.J.