Oath of Avatar

T

train

Oath: At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player controls fewer creatures than any of his or her opponents, the player may reveal cards from the top of his or her library until he or she reveals a creature card. The player puts that card into play and all other cards revealed this way into his or her graveyard.

Druid: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a basic land card. Put that card into your hand and all other cards revealed this way into your graveyard.

Replenish: Return all enchantment cards from your graveyard to play. (Local enchantments with no permanent to enchant remain in your graveyard.)

The Oath and druid can both mill enchantments into your graveyard will one looks for a creature, the other looks for a basic land... REPLENISH puts all these enchantments right into play...

;)

E

Exaulted_Leader

DOH! I always forget to post the lands (it doesn't usually matter - I hardly own any other than basics):

8x Plains
8x Forest

Opal Caryatid is pointless, as it triggers on creatures, when you'd rather be Oathing if they drop a creature.
What!?

Opal Caryatid, IMHO, is a VERY dangerous little weapon. It happens all the time:

I drop the Caryatid on my first turn. They drop a 2/2 beatstick of their own (occassionally with something like First Strike). I drop an Armadillo Cloak.

Before they even know what's going-on, I've waded into their life total and given myself a lot of breathing room.

After they've managed to deal with the troublesome little sleeper, I've probably got an Oath in hand itching to hit the table and steal any notion of defeating me in a critter race away from my opponent.

Hunting Grounds and Greater Good allow me to suddenly pop avatars into play from out of nowhere in a pinch, providing an alternate means from Oath to play with the big boys. The latter also allows me to pop some sleepers where necessary to activate an Oath.

I considered Replenish for a while... but I don't presently have access to any, and I wonder if they wouldn't just sit as dead cards in a lot of instances?

T

train

If you're really using the Oath to mill for critters - it wouldn't be a dead card - you'd have so many enchantments in the gy...

I only mentioned the druid from personal play reference - but if all you have is basics - it wouldn't be worth it...

The replenish though - is...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Caryatid is bad against good decks. Oath is essentially a dead card against creatureless decks or decks that play around it naturally (Landstill, etc.) and so is Caryatid. You don't want to be using too many dead cards. The same goes for the other white sleeper creatures. As I said before, in the event that the opponent does drop a creature, you want to Oath up an Avatar. If Caryatid hits, you might be able to get an edge with some cute local enchantments, but it only buys the opponent more time to come up with an answer. I look at it this way: if they drop a vanilla creature (and no one does that, or if they do, you should probably win that matchup anyway) and you have Oath out, you get a Serra Avatar. If you have Caryatid out you get a 2/2. Serra Avatar is almost always bigger than 2/2. It's impractial to use both, since it's too unlikely that one of them won't do anything. I know which one I'd rather use...

E

Exaulted_Leader

Final Looks:

Primary Weaponry

4x Oath of Druids
4x Sterling Grove
4x Armadillo Cloak
4x Argivian Find
4x Wild growth
3x Spirit Link
3x Serra Avatar
3x Rofellos's Gift
3x Dragon's Breath
2x Gaea's Blessing

Tertiary Beatsticks

4x Treetop Village
3x Darksteel Brute
3x Chimeric Idol

Land

8x Forest
8x Plains

Sleepers were too easy to get played around. Brutes and Idols make much more reliable sticks (though I find it disappointing that they can't make good use of my local enchantments).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Exaulted_Leader
Brutes and Idols make much more reliable sticks (though I find it disappointing that they can't make good use of my local enchantments).
Why not?

E

Exaulted_Leader

If I hit a Brute or Idol with an Armadillo Cloak, they get just a single turn to swing with the beneficial enchantment. After this, the enchantment "falls off" as a state-based effect when the creature reverts back to artifact mode:

From the comprehensive rules, 420 - State-Based Effects

420.5d - A local enchantment that enchants an illegal or nonexistent permanent is put into its owner's graveyard. [CompRules 2003/07/01]
This is a problem not inherent in the Gibbons (though, in the end, they still aren't as effective or reliable). Actually, come to think of it, it's not so much a problem at all as it is wishful thinking. An Indestructible Brute that swings for 4 trampling damage each turn and constantly throws cushions of life points at me? Now THAT would've been an awesome secondary weapon!

T

train

spidey means the warhammer...

and it would unattach itself if the permanent it equipped became invalid, or non-existent... so it would work... but it would have to be played, and couldn't be replenished...