Norin is wary of Pandemonium and Confusion in the Ranks..

L

Limited

Norin the Wary is a great card, but I wanted to try it in a deck without Pandemonium or Confusion in the Ranks.

Juniper Order Ranger should become very big with Norin popping in every turn. Other token creators like Genesis Chamber and Sprout Swarm also come in handy. (The interaction between Saltskitter and Genesis Chamber is insane.)

I finally added some one-offs, to keep the deck interesting.

Now I hope to come up against a Pandemonium deck ;)

Creatures
4x Soultether Golem
1x Autochthon Wurm
1x Elvish Skysweeper
1x Essence Warden
4x Juniper Order Ranger
4x Kavu Primarch
4x Saltskitter
3x Norin the Wary
1x Tolsimir Wolfblood
Enchantments
1x Pollenbright Wings
Spells
3x Scatter the Seeds
2x Sprout Swarm
3x Sundering Vitae
3x Flame Fusillade
Artifacts
2x Genesis Chamber
Lands (23)
1x Kher Keep
3x Selesnya Sanctuary
2x Terramorphic Expanse
7x Forest
6x Mountain
4x Plains

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, Norin the Wary SHOULD BE an automatic 4-of in any deck with red in it. It's JUST that powerful.

I really like the Flame Fusillade in the deck. How's that working for you?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Weird card. I've never seen it before. Not sure about the deck either since I don't recognize a lot of the cards. Seems like a cool idea though.

L

Limited

Ransac said:
I really like the Flame Fusillade in the deck. How's that working for you?
This deck hasn't seen any action yet, but I've played with Flame Fusillade a lot. I always play multiplayer games and late game its always a great card.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
LET THIS DECK SEE SOME ACTION THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I expect you to have ample about of experience within 20 minutes, starting....

......NOW!

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

Right. I played this deck twice this weekend, and have come to a disturbing conclusion:

It isn't fun to play with.

It has a lot of cool card interactions, but its a total bother to keep track of all triggers. It could have been the games I've played though..

The first game, Jorael whipped out his Pandemonium deck. Needless to say, chaos ensued. Having Norin the Wary and a Saltskitter returning to play every turn with a Pandemonium in play is just sick (and precisely the reason I didn't want to put Norin in a Pandemonium deck). To add to the disgust, I ended losing the game anyway (somehow I had a big bullseye on my forehead).

Second game, I found neither Norin or the Saltskitter, but ended up with three Juniper Order Ranger in play, together with a Genesis Chamber. The Rangers each had more than ten +1/+1 counters, but because everybody has Myr tokens they weren't that much of a threat.

I'm willing to write the first game of to the Pandemonium, but the second game my deck was humming (even without the two keycards) and in the end I did win, but it took forever. It took two Flame Fusillades to 'annoy' one of my two opponents into conceding.

I want to try to move the deck away from control (Flame Fusillade after amassing tokens for a few turns) to something more aggressive. Perhaps add some cards that allow me to sacrifice all those Myr tokens?

Since I'm no longer trying to amass a large army, cards like Flame Fusillade and Sprout Swarm have to go. I'm also dropping at least one Juniper Order Ranger; they were great, but I think four might be overkill. I probably don't need Tolsimir and the Autochthon Wurm..
I haven't been to impressed with the Kavu Primarch, mostly because it lacks trample. Now the convoke is also less important, so out they go!

First, I want to try adding Blood Rites and Orcish Bloodpainters; with both, i can use tokens to clear the way for creatures like the Soultether Golem. The deck does become very dependent on the Genesis Chamber, of which I have only two. I'll need to find more of those ;)

I'll add another Skysweeper, because decks in my playgroup have shown a fair amount of big flyers (the new Dragons for instance). Next, I'll try Magmatic Core as back-up creature removal. Not sure how that will work out. I'll also add two Spirit en-Kor, in order to give the Juniper Order Ranger shadow in order to steer it past blockers.

Finally, swapped a Forest for a Mountain, now that a lot of red cards have been added.

The list:

Creatures (23)
2x Elvish Skysweeper
1x Essence Warden
3x Juniper Order Ranger
3x Norin the Wary
4x Orcish Bloodpainter
4x Saltskitter
4x Soultether Golem
2x Spirit en-Dal
Enchantments (6)
2x Blood Rites
3x Magmatic Core
1x Pollenbright Wings
Spells
3x Scatter the Seeds
3x Sundering Vitae
Artifacts
2x Genesis Chamber
Lands (23)
1x Kher Keep
3x Selesnya Sanctuary
2x Terramorphic Expanse
6x Forest
7x Mountain
4x Plains

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Sorry to hear that your games didn't meet your expections. But, I think your additions are perfect for the standards you are setting for yourself.

Ransac, cpa trash man

J

jorael

Limited said:
The first game, Jorael whipped out his Pandemonium deck. Needless to say, chaos ensued. Having Norin the Wary and a Saltskitter returning to play every turn with a Pandemonium in play is just sick (and precisely the reason I didn't want to put Norin in a Pandemonium deck). To add to the disgust, I ended losing the game anyway (somehow I had a big bullseye on my forehead).
First time I played with Pandemonium, and I probably will deconstruct the deck. Either you totally abuse the enchantment and combo out, or other players abuse it too much and you're out of the game real soon...

Your deck is full of interesting interactions, but I agree that is can be tweaked. It slowed down the whole game (also thanks to no mass removal).

I like your updated deck and I'm curious how it will perform!