Nominations for Prophecy Casual Card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Post 'em and the reasons here! Nominations end Tuesday, 12/26 by 7:00 AM EST.

Current committee members are: Spidey, Ransac, TomB

Killer Joe

Name: Spore Frog
Set & Rarity: Prophecy common
Cost: {G}
Card Type: Creature - Frog
P/T: 1/1
Rules Text (Oracle): Sacrifice Spore Frog: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt this turn.
Flavor Text
(Prophecy): The end of one life is merely the beginning of thousands more.
Number:

Basically a "fog" on a frog. This is a perfect card in a "creature feature" format and how casual is that!?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Creature - Avatar [6/5]
6BB
If there are ten or more creature cards total in all graveyards, Avatar of Woe costs 6 less to play.
Fear
T: Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.

Is there a better creature for Multi-player game from this set?

L

Limited

This is a hard one.. I really think that Avatar of Might is a really iconic creature that isn't overpowered but has a lot of appeal to casual players.

On the other hand I also like Squirrel Wrangler. Turning extra lands into squirrel tokens, great art, great flavor text.. but a lot less 'iconic', so I nominate Avatar of Might.

Killer Joe

Mooseman said:
Creature - Avatar [6/5]
6BB
If there are ten or more creature cards total in all graveyards, Avatar of Woe costs 6 less to play.
Fear
T: Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated.

Is there a better creature for Multi-player game from this set?
OMG! A BLACK card? What IS this world comming too? :eek: :p :D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
KJ, come over to the darkside....... Darthferret is your cousin's roommates girlfriend's step-father's unknown brother....... :D :eek:

D

DarthFerret

Okay, I still think we have lost the whole "Casual" aspect of this contest, so I am gonna try to rectify that with my nomination.....

Celestial Convergence

The reasons are fairly obvious.

1. It is a countdown card, but even at the end, it does not guarantee that a single person will win.

2. The countdown itself!

3. It is the only card I am aware of that actually states that there can be a draw.

4. A white card with this kind of artwork? Wow. Talk about art not going along with the normal flow of the color!

5. The name of the card itself is just pure awsomeinity!

Tag Guard

D

DarthFerret

Actually, KJ, I was referring to the last couple of sets. (And the Avatar of course). Spore Frog is perfectly casual....

However, I still like my nomination...he he..

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Remember, we're striving for a Hall of Fame card. A card can be casual yet not something most everyone would think "Most Casual Card in Prophecy? <This card>". With that in mind, of course everyone has their own opinion of what casual is...

Melkor

The key to me is that great casual cards are fun, and this also generally means that they are among other things playable, promote game interaction, produce a strong effect, encourage creative deck building, and then to some extent I also look at things like whether it was played in tournaments, its use in multiplayer or other more casual formats and its flavor. However, I don't consider casual to be the opposite of tournament, but rather to be its own category. With this in mind, I believe I shall nominate the previously mentioned Squirrel Wrangler. The guy is strong, encourages some decks to grow up around him, and has the appropriate flavor.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
For those hating on the Avatar of Woe...

Keep in mind that this is not a particularly strong set. It has a lot of overcosted cards or cards that are generally not very good. It does have some fun cards too. In order for a card to be a good casual card, it should be playable. Avatar of Woe is quite good, but doesn't really strike me as broken or a tournament powerhouse, which is probably part of why it was reprinted as a Timeshifted card. It's big and useful and I remember so many multiplayer games when I'd ask, "How many creatures are in all graveyards right now?" even though everyone else would know what that meant. The other nominees don't at all inspire unpleasant memories, but none of them seemed or seem as cool as the Avatar of Woe.

The sentiment seems to be that Avatar of Woe is too overpowered to be a casual card, but I'd say Prophecy is one of the few sets where its most powerful card is also a good candidate for its best casual card.

Tag Guard

Killer Joe

What's so funny about a "Casual Card Hall of Fame" is that you have the term "Casual" and "Fame" in the same title. This seems to be where a ~rip~ in the whole approach of the selection process happens.

I whole-heartly believe in a card's "low-impact" on the game because in my mind's eye I see that as being casual. Spore Frog fits that perfectly. I could try to figure out a way to *break* it in an abusive combo but then to me it wouldn't be casual anymore.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see the split/problem/whatever. You have "casual" cards, some which are stronger than others, meaning that when you think of them, you immediately think "Yeah, that's a good casual card for the set". Other casual cards are just blah. It doesn't matter (that much) whether they've been in tourney (I say not much because if the nominations are all cards that have been in a tourney, then one of them has to be chosen...)

Killer Joe

True. Maybe "~rip~"was not the best word to use but more like an opposing "nudge". In the discussions I've had as member we did disagree on what criteria to use to define what a CCHoF card is because it IS so subjective.

I think Avatar of Woe would get my vote in a straight up "Hall of Fame" card selection for Prophecy but I just can't seem to see it as a casual card,...to me. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.