Nominations for Mirrodin Casual Card!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Post 'em and the reasons here! Nominations end next Monday, 5/14 at 7:00 AM EDT.

Committee Members: Limited, BigBlue, orgg

D

DarthFerret

I am nominating Isochron Scepter. I know it was used for a very nasty combo deck, but most of the cards in this set were also used.

For the most broken set in Magic, I think this card had the most versatility and utility outside of the set, as well as in.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I nominate Isochron Scepter. It is good in all colors and has too many uses for me to remember.

EDIT: Or, you know, DF can beat me to it. That can happen too.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
It's an odd nomination, but I'm gonna throw Mindslaver up on the voting board. Nothing in Magic before this had ANYTHING CLOSE to matching what this card can do. How many times have you ever sat in a multiplayer match and thought "hmm.... if I wish I could make <insert random name here> twiddle his own Bone Flute." WELL, NOW YOU CAN!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

I don't think you should twiddle your Bone Flute during a match. At least not without card condoms - and probably not even then. <smirk>

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Funny. For me it came down to five cards, one of which DF and I nominated, and one of which Ransac nominated. If there are no other nominees, I'm sure to be happy with the winner this round. Still, I think there should be more nominees.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Beats me... I didn't do anything like that. Perhaps someone on the current committee can send him a note?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Rule of Law. This doesn't win games by itself or combo with much else, but it's great to play in multi-player games to give you time to get things going.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
My only complaint about Rule of Law is that it was already printed as Arcane Laboratory, which didn't even get nominated before. If the ability was that casual, it would've warranted thought in the Urza's Saga Voting.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Mooseman chose Congregate as his nomination for Saga. This is a different set of cards - so the choices are different. We have 2 nominations other than Rule of Law...

I don't think we should eliminate a card strictly on that basis... We will take your comment into account...

I sent a PM to Orgg, we'll see if he comes out of hiding.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Oh, I completely agree. Don't remove the nomination. It's a great card (I particularly like it myself). I'm just giving an arguement against it, that's all.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Killer Joe

Solemn Simulacrum
Card type: Artifact Creature
Power/Toughness:2/2
Casting cost: 4
Card text: When Solemn Simulacrum comes into play, you may search your library for a basic land card and put that card into play tapped.
If you do, shuffle your library.
When Solemn Simulacrum is put into a graveyard from play, you may draw a card.

For a fair price of 4 COLORLESS mana you get:
~A Grizzly Bears creature
~A Rampant Growth
~And a "Draw a Card" effect

The synergy within this card is that it's a nice blocker that you don't mind losing because either way, you get a good deal.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
My only complaint about Rule of Law is that it was already printed as Arcane Laboratory, which didn't even get nominated before. If the ability was that casual, it would've warranted thought in the Urza's Saga Voting.
I did think of it, but it wasn't as casual as other cards in the SAGA set.....
Look, you nominated mindslaver, a truly broken card and it saw/sees a lot of tournament use....
But, it's up to the committee to layeth the smackdown upon your candy Ransac ***.
If you can smell what the mooseman is cooking.......

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, Rule of Law hadn't been one of my choices, mainly since I've never used it (I have Arcane Labs, never had many Mirrodin cards, and didn't play white much). Still, it seems a perfectly good choice.

Solemn Simulacrum was one of my other considerations before I narrowed it down to the Scepter.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
In my opinion, Mirrodin was simply not a casual set. You can see by the cards being nominated here how non-casual it is.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I have to agree, it's not casual friendly... I was going to nominate Fatespinner, but it's blue and a blue card was picked last time......
Too much of the stuff in this set is artifact specific, frogmite, all the myrs or just plain broken.....
Come on you CPA'ers, nominate a lot of cards to give the committee mor to discuss......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to nominate Platinum Angel. She's a creature and an artifact to boot, so there's many ways to get rid of her, but boy, if you can protect her, you've won a lease on life, especially in an MP game. Of course, she makes you a target but oh well... :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Final Nominations:

Isochron Scepter - DarthFerret/Oversoul
Mindslaver - Ransac
Rule of Law - Mooseman
Solemn Simulacrum - Killer Joe
Platinum Angel - Spiderman

Closed for voting.

If orgg doesn't reply to any committee voting emails by say, Wednesday, let me know so we can change the committee to the runner-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.