Karakas
Mountain Stronghold
Pendelhaven
Seafarer's Quay
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
Tolaria
Unholy Citadel
Urborg

Nominations will close Monday, 4/24 at 7:00 AM EST.

D

DarthFerret

Good Job on the list. I am going to nominate the Time Elemental. It is probably the funnest card from the set that I have used. Get 2 or 3 out, and you can keep bouncing things all day long! Ultimate Blue stall (Plus I am tired of seeing all the red nominations!)

B

BigBlue

I'm going out on a limb and nominating the first "cycle"... The Elder Dragons. Nothing Says casual like Huge Casting Cost, Huge Upkeep, and LOADS of fun once it's in play... Especially for those crazy few (one of my friends was one) who build a 5C deck around all 5 of them.

DF: I LOVE the Time Elemental... I just am not sold on it's casual flavor as much... Unfortunately for me, the only ones I own are in the Microprose Shandalar game... but I include them in EVERY blue deck there. This brings up another question about the casual cards... What about "special" cards including the virtual cards from Shandalar? I keep wishing they'd find a way to print some of them - but I know as far as how truly random some of them are they'd be tough to play... But Power Struggle is just cool...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Question: Should we include "classes" of cards like the Elder Dragons? Or just keep to one card?

I say not allow the virtual cards... that's why they were put in, because it could harness the power of the computer, but not really sure about real life. Plus, a lot of people may not have the game and know what they are.

B

BigBlue

OK, but what about Nelathni Dragon, Mana Crypt(?), Arena, etc?

Now, I really think that the Elder Dragons are a cycle... and Legends has soooo many fun cards... those just seem to be the most logical to me... I don't want to choose 1 of them - so if it's decided (probably by the NC) I can't... then I will revise my selection... and it's understandable... as I'm sure many of you know, I've never been afraid of breaking a system... :D

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'd like to nominate Takklemaggot. I've already explained my reasoning.

Also, If you're taking a poll, I think nominations and inductees should remain at just one card. Maybe I'm biased because I follow the NFL too much, but I hate it when a mediocre player on a great team gets inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame just because he was in the right place at the right time. I mean Nical Bolas is awesomely cool, but what's so great about Vaevictis Asmadi? He's just tagging along, riding the coattails of the cooler Elder Dragon Legends. Of course, there are some cycles that essentially do the exact same thing (like the mana batteries), but I don't think most of these would make the Casual Card HoF anyway.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure about the cards you used to get by buying the novel. I guess we could have a catch-all category for those...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
They aren't in Legends. But I wouldn't mind doing a "miscellaneous" category of promotional cards and the like...

I nominate Giant Slug. I'll post an argument for it later.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'll nominate In the Eye of Chaos because it slows down both the guy that's packin 12 bolts AND the guy with all the counterspells - ALL instants cost double, basically.

What better way to keep a game casual? ;)

L

Limited

I'll take a stab at a nomination..

But first, let me say that I feel that it shouldn't just be a very casual card, but I think it should represent the Legends set in some way. And when I think of Legends, I think of Legendary Multicolored creatures.

My dilemma is, that Legends contains a lot of vanilla Legends and so perhaps something like Lady Orca would represent them best. On the other hand, if I look at artwork I have to go with Angus Mackenzie who bears an uncanny resemblense to John Cleese as the original Timmy (prodical sorcerer).

But, in the end, the card that feels casual to me is a creature with a potentially powerfull ability: Halfdane.

B

BigBlue

So, I take it I'm not going to get to nominate the Elder Dragons as a group...

Alrighty then....

Nothing says casual like "special rules"... What could be more special than not only the archaic Banding.... but "Bands with other...." I hereby nominate Master of the Hunt. Getting to spawn your own creatures which can band with each other in a pack. They are wolves to boot - one of the coolest creatures in the wild.

I will add that I still would put the dragons first personally - and I do sympathize with the "HOF" comparison... however I was shooting for those people who built 5C decks with all 5 of them... and I've seen 2 of those decks myself.

I love the Takkelmaggot. He is very cool, and I think he has some nice power... I've often pondered building the deck in the article... I just never have for some reason. My other favorite "weird" card is "Worms of the Earth"...

The only thing I like about the Giant Slug is the Artwork and the Artist... 5 is too expensive even for casual imho... :D

In the Eye of Chaos is very cool... Cool name, Cool power.... but it's Blue... and I don't like having to pay extra for my own counters...

And let's not forget Halfdane... Another cool card... I like the quasi cloneing/doppleganger ability... Look at me, I can leave my Leviathon tapped and have a usable 11/11 - sans Trample...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nominations so far:

DarthFerret: Time Elemental
turgy22: Takklemaggot
Oversoul: Giant Slug
TomB: In The Eye of Chaos
Limited: Halfdane
BigBlue: Master of the Hunt

D

DarthFerret

I like the nomination of the Takklemaggot....truly a casual card, however I wish to argue once again my suggestion of the Time Elemental. Think of actual game play. Think of how many times my opponents have groaned when I pulled one out. Think of those groans becoming worse when the second one hits the board!. It is one of the ultimate stalls for blue. This taken into account, I am sure that y'all can see that this little bugger is the correct choice!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Time Elemental - Over costed frustration, I like it.

Takklemaggot - keeps on beating then bites the hand that feeds.... nice

In The Eye of Chaos - the blue haters dream card.... hehe

Halfdane - I like this nomination best. It looks like a good card, but if not played correctly it will die quickly. And I can see it as a card that gets used by casual players because it becomes a beat stick once in a while.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Alright. Giant Slug is a great casual card for a couple of reasons...

It is a slug
It has an evasion ability that is actually cool. Flying is boring and too easy, not to mention easy to hose. Regular old landwalk is too unreliable. Then you've got things like "can only be blocked by walls" and such, but Giant Slug truly makes your opponents basic lands a liability. Not many cards can do that.
It is a slug: this creature is "giant" despite being a 1/1. Normally that would sound ridiculous, but not on a slug.
In the picture it is huge and swinging a man around with ease. But it's still only a 1/1. That guy must be really tiny.
It is a slug: people who have played against it immediately pay attention to what you're doing--they know Giant Slug is only a 1/1 with a mana-intensive evasion ability, but evasion is evasion and you MUST be up to something nasty. And people who don't know what it is are naturally interested as well, because this card is called "Giant Slug" and has a picture of a slug.
Howl from Beyond: Your opponent can't focus on some silly slug if he needs to kill your other creatures, but if he lets you build up land for long enough, he can expect a slimey beatdown. Slugs are slow, but they'll KILL YOU eventually.
It is a slug.

B

BigBlue

See, but I'd just use my Giant Shaker of Salt to kill your Giant Slug.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.