Nominations for Homelands Casual Card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BigBlue

Baron Sengir. At the time, Vampires were one of the coolest Black Creatures around... Heck, they still are... And the Baron, while not being overly powerful, was cool to have. Plus, he was one of the 3 cards you could get in the Homelands comic book. (Anyone else have those? I have almost all the ones they made, short of a couple which they didn't get around here.)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I'll nominate Eron the Relentless because to me, he IS a casual kinda creature. I mean, with a converted casting cost of 5 he wasn't a tournament-grade back in the day, and of course he still isn't, but due to his Ball Lightning-like entrance ability and his late game resilience he is still a FUN creature. He combos well too, with Relentless Assault (naturally), especially after requiring regeneration once he's swept away a few blockers during the first attack phase.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I nominate Sengir Autocrat.

There aren't very many cards in Homelands that don't suck. And most of those don't exactly scream "casual" either. Sengir Autocrat does something no card before or since has done quite as well. At the very worst, you waste four mana on four chump blockers. But more likely you're using the Autocrat in a deck that wants creatures for sacrificing. Sengir Autocrat was perfect for cards like Hecatomb, Ebon Praetor, Lord of the Pit, Minion of Leshrac, Culling the Weak, and (my personal favorite) Delraich. 0/1 tokens aren't particularly useful and a 2/2 is far from impressive. But four creatures all rolled into one card is something that black decks can certainly use.

G

Gizmo

Sengir Autorcrat is a good call, he was the chase rare for casual players far more than the Baron. For me there's one card I've played ever since Homelands was printed, and that's:

Giant Oyster

D

DarthFerret

I will actually second Gizmo's nomination. It is about the only Homeland card I have used more than once!

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'll have to second the Baron's nomination. I never played with him, but I sure wanted to.

O

orgg

Yeesh... Giant Oyster, Baron Sengir, Sengir Autocrat... Giz took my first thought, and now I've got Joven's Ferretts or Willow on my mind... I'll have to think about this one.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nominations so far:

Baron Sengir: BigBlue, turgy22
Eron, The Relentless: TomB
Segnir Autocrat: Oversoul
Giant Oyster: Gizmo, DarthFerret

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Great nominations so far.

I'm going to nominate Serra Aviary, because it was a mini-Crusade for flyers, and of course you'd build your deck to take care of any enemy flyers (usually StP or just make sure yours were biggers than his).

O

orgg

Of those not named, I've used many'a Homelands card, being as that's where I really got roped into collecting hardcore with the flavor that just ooozed from the set like pus from a wound. Serrated Arrows, Joven's Ferrets, Autumn Willow, Hungry Mist, Koskun Falls (a strong contender), Winter Sky, Retribution, the Minotaur enablers Didgeridoo(I'm a HUGE fan of this instrument, IRL. I need a Didgeridoo CD, but can't find one...), Anaba Ancester, Anaba Spirit Crafter... Blue's Aether Storm, Wall of Kelp, and the indominable Forget... and then it really just hit me.

I nominate for the most casual card in Homelands a card that I had forgotten the origins of, which is playable no matter whether it is an Instant or Sorcery, and that always makes the table's attitude towards you favorable... TRUCE.

Ferret

Staff member
Okay, everyone knows what my obvious choice would be, and as much as I love the little weasels, there are better cards. Autumn was good, but she was a little too conditional. Sengir Autocrat (and his little Smerf buddies) was a card that helped me pull of a third turn kill and it works great with anything that says "Sacrifice a critter: do something nifty", it still isn't at the top of my list.

My nomination is:

Serrated Arrows. It's a great card that works well in any deck and is handy for getting rid of small critters (even ones with protection) and can even make a Darksteel critter less annoying. I usually maindecked two in most of my decks...

-Ferret

"For being the 'worst set' in Magic, it sure has quite a few good cards..."

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nominations so far:

Serra Aviary: Spiderman
Truce: orgg
Serrated Arrows: Ferret

Ransac, cpa trash man

K

Killerbob

Someone mentioned it, but didnt nominate it: Didgeridoo

This card is a must for any minotaurdeck. It looks like carddisadvantage, but if you have played it, you know that it is a very powerful card. At least if yoo can find good minotaurcards. This is an oldschool aether vial. Very strong. Its a defining card for minotaurthemedecks, full of flavor, and you wouldnt play anything else. Best in some kind of minotaur-controldeck, but fortunately, your primary didgeridootarget (that will be Tahngarth) is a controlcreature.

Hard to compete with Sengir Autocrate though. He has a very nice ability, and many people have played him. I didnt myself, since I have the feeling that I pay 4 mana for a creature which probably will get killed easyly, and unfortunatly takes his tokens with him in the grave :( If he didnt, he would be supernice.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nominations so far:

Serra Aviary: Spiderman
Truce: orgg
Serrated Arrows: Ferret
Didgeridoo: Killerbob

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Nominations are closed. Would either Orgg or TomB close this thread. No nominations made after this post will be considered.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Status
Not open for further replies.