Nominations for Future Sight Casual Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Post 'em and the reasons here! Nominations end Monday, 11/19 at 7:00 AM EST.

Committee members: Killer Joe, rokapoke, Spiderman

R

rokapoke

I think it's difficult to decide on a "Hall of Fame" caliber card in the recent sets. It's like comparing Adrian Peterson to Walter Payton. Sure he's had a heck of a year, but will he be good over the long haul?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Steamflogger Boss

How could any casual player not drool over the concept of assembling their contraptions with twice the speed?! AND it pumps and hastes other Riggers?!?!? Pure insanity. I think that every other casual player across the world is with me on this one..... except Mooseman...

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
rokapoke: So it's because people haven't played with the sets long enough (if ever), they don't have a good gauge on what would be a Hall of Fame worthy card? So when do you think we should have stopped?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I know the question was posted for rokapoke (and while I was nominating...), but I'll agree with rokapoke. Sure, casual players have built new casual decks after seeing a spoiler card or two, but it takes a bit of time to familiarize the world with the entire set.

I'll say a year from release is about right.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
nah..... I say we re-focus the HOF. Let's say we discuss the best casual cards based on themes (best casual goblin, dwarf, life-gainer, etc.)

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Actually, the traffic here has been very light and that is causing people not to post to as many threads or as often as in the past.

Let's do this one and then go with Ransac's Idea of a theme or type to nominate.
We might take more time for the nominations and pre-vote discussion.

Sprout Swarm is a slow but steady Saporling generator, but can be sped up.....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I haven't seen much of this set and I don't like it as much as the previous two. But there are some cool cards. Aven Mindcensor has a very cool name and shuts down tutors and such. Barren Glory makes my Kaervek's Spit/The Cheese Stands Alone combo return without use of Unglued cards (but doesn't have much other use, unfortunately). Tombstalker is a very cheap 5/5 if you can load your graveyard quickly enough. However, because of my loyalty to the storm mechanic, I'm going to have to nominate its little brother: Bitter Ordeal.

Its effect is not as impressive as most of the real storm cards, and the mechanic probably isn't as fluid in a deck. But it's much easier to make tons of copies. In a milling deck it could be a crippling (and uncounterable) blow. It adds a new element to cards that destroy a lot of permanents or allow you to sacrifice them. Even early on in a game, it could remove the key cards from an opponent's library. And with an engine that puts permanents into a graveyard repeatedly (like Sliver Queen and Ashnod's Altar, if we want to be really extreme), it can kill an opponent outright by decking.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So... only three nominations? Should we vote on these or wait a couple more days to see if anyone else wants to nominate something?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Seeing as how this should be the last set nomination for a while (assuming we wait on Lorwyn), I think we can wait a few days. I doubt we'll get more nominations, though.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Melkor said:
I'll have a nomination soon . . . A glorious, fantabulous, ridiculous nomination!
What Melkor was actually thinking... said:
I have no idea what's going on in this set............ OO! An extension! I can read the set list tonight!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Melkor

I wish it was 3 instead of 4 but it definitely makes me want to make a deck around her so I will nominate Jhoira, of the Ghitu.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Final Nominations:

Steamflogger Boss - Ransac
Sprout Swarm - Mooseman
Bitter Ordeal - Oversoul
Jhoira of the Ghitu - Melkor

Closed for voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.